Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just adding my experiences to this thread. Model 3 (Highland) - Since updating to 2024.2.6 I've had repeated AP crashes - and by my testing almost always at a specific roundabouts in my local area seems to trigger it. I note I'm not using AP at all during this but it feels like the AP computer is crashing (but I'm a newbie so bare with)

The Navigation freezes (as in my local is no longer updated), Visualisations disappear and I get all the user warnings (UI_a114 - visualisation degraded, UI_a186 Lane Depart avoidance unavailable and VCFRONT_a004 Adaptive High Mean is unavailable). It usually recovers within a couple of minutes - however after multiple failures it doesn't seem to recover at all (until I park up, then I get the Sentry mode failure push notification after a few minutes, then the car sleeps and works again after that until the next roundabout on my journey lol).

I noticed that during the initial crashes, the cameras all go "black" - and within 30 seconds they recover, then a few minutes later the Visualisations recover.

Not saying its 100% software related, I opened a Service ticket incase I'm unlucky and something has broken already - but when I look at when this all started it was the first drive after 2024.2.6 installed and I had zero issues before then.
I've had exactly this on a 2019 P3-.

It's nice to know I'm up to date with the latest hardware.

But they might fix the wipers… 😂
If the vast majority of people posting here have problems with the wipers it’s clearly not a vehicle specific fault. My experience is that sometimes they work flawlessly in differing amounts of rain - at other times they are hopeless. Particular problems with dawn / dusk / fine drizzle / sudden soaking as when vehicle in front or travelling in the opposite direction goes through a puddle / spray passing HGV… This list is not exhaustive but I don’t think they have got better or worse during my 4.5 years of driving Teslas.

I’d like to test a theory but I’m like 90% certain that Autowipers actually rely in part on weather data gathered from the cellular connection to corroborate if Vision cameras have a doubt.

I looked at my phone when the Weather app was announcing rain but it wasn’t actually raining, and curiously, the car had a couple dry wiping occurrences as well.
Same when it was actually raining a fine mist but the phone weather app didn’t catch it and neither did the wipers…

That would really be a dirty trick, both for implementation, results, and misleading NN performance

I’d like to test a theory but I’m like 90% certain that Autowipers actually rely in part on weather data gathered from the cellular connection to corroborate if Vision cameras have a doubt.

I looked at my phone when the Weather app was announcing rain but it wasn’t actually raining, and curiously, the car had a couple dry wiping occurrences as well.
Same when it was actually raining a fine mist but the phone weather app didn’t catch it and neither did the wipers…

That would really be a dirty trick, both for implementation, results, and misleading NN performance
I don’t think rainfall radar is anything like good enough to use for wiper operation. I look at the Met Office radar reasonably frequently. It often shows light rain when nothing is reaching the ground. It may well be raining at the height the radar is looking but rain evaporates on the way down and may not reach the ground.

Reactions: Roy B and Type2
On 2024.2.6

I've just come back from a 200 mile drive.

100 miles in, my visualizations all failed, including speed limit, lane lines, also with no autopilot/FSD available and no park assist. All cameras seem to work okay.

I've done a reboot twice, but to no avail.

I realise how much I miss FSD when its not available. I'm hoping its a software fault rather than a hardware issue - I'll try another re-boot tomorrow.
I'm now on 2024.2.7

I did exactly the same 200 mile drive today as noted before, and at almost exactly the same place, 100 miles in to the drive, my visualisations again failed.

Unlike last time (where visualisations/FSD/Park assist did not come back for the next 100 miles), this time things returned back again about 10 miles later and did not fail again for the remaining 90 odd miles of the journey.

I'm wondering whether this is some kind of geographic issue... just so odd for it to have a major failure at the same place, and for me, only at that same place.

coincidence?

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
I'm now on 2024.2.7

I did exactly the same 200 mile drive today as noted before, and at almost exactly the same place, 100 miles in to the drive, my visualisations again failed.

Unlike last time (where visualisations/FSD/Park assist did not come back for the next 100 miles), this time things returned back again about 10 miles later and did not fail again for the remaining 90 odd miles of the journey.

I'm wondering whether this is some kind of geographic issue... just so odd for it to have a major failure at the same place, and for me, only at that same place.

coincidence?
This is interesting! I logged the issue with Tesla and I’ve had a tech working on it remotely. He was asking if the car had good wifi - during the week I’m away from home so I said no. He told me that the car had been trying to update but it kept failing. I sent him a screenshot of the software screen and it said the cars software was up to date. He then messaged and said, it’s not a software update but a map firmware update which doesn’t show as a regular update and downloads only when there is a very stable WiFi connection.

He said to leave the car close to the house this weekend and he will check if it’s been downloaded on Monday. He seemed to think it might be a map issue.

Interesting, what’s your current map navigation data?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 25
Interesting, what’s your current map navigation data?
I’m on the same one!

image.jpg

Just received a message from Tesla. Car failed to update this weekend and they want to see the car for a service appt tomorrow. Interesting description from the remote tech:

IMG_6287.jpeg

So basically Tesla can’t speak to the car anymore. This happens in numerous locations and even when connected to great wifi. I’ve had no problem connecting remotely using the app.

I’ll post an update tomorrow afternoon once they have seen the car and told me the issues.

Reactions: dombera
I don’t think rainfall radar is anything like good enough to use for wiper operation. I look at the Met Office radar reasonably frequently. It often shows light rain when nothing is reaching the ground. It may well be raining at the height the radar is looking but rain evaporates on the way down and may not reach the ground.
I agree, it's absolutely not fit for purpose. Yet I'm pretty convinced that's what Tesla is using to guide wiper operations currently (in conjunction with vision), hence the erratic performance. At least the behaviour could be explained by that if more are willing to test my theory.

Had fog lights on with headlights but when the car decided it was bright it turned off the headlights and the fog lights despite poor visibility. Not a new problem but, in my view, a serious one.
This is also normal behaviour in other cars that use auto headlights, as fog can at times be quite bright and the sensors tell the car to turn the headlights off. An easy fix would be to apply some logic that either doesn't allow fog lights to be turned on if the lights are set to auto - or alternatively doesn't automatically turn the lights off if the fog lights have been turned on.