Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.20 Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla implementation does seem pretty good, although with it staying light out late at present I've yet to have much experience with them.

I recall some years back when matrix lights were a new thing I was driving down an otherwise empty unlit country lane with a car close behind. Somehow the lights on the car behind were doing a great job of illuminating the verges on both sides without blinding me in my rearview mirror. It confused me how it was possible. Being in an old car with pitiful headlights it was very noticeable. And appreciated.

Reactions: Durzel
Tesla are now tweeting what’s in the upcoming/imminent release which is a welcome change rather than the speculation a lot of the others pump out. We should be getting cornering lights although I imagine when on adaptive full beam we kind of get that anyway as it will just dip where it needs to, so maybe this is more for the US market where full blown adaptive still isn’t on Teslas.

Reactions: Skie
Tesla are now tweeting what’s in the upcoming/imminent release which is a welcome change rather than the speculation a lot of the others pump out. We should be getting cornering lights although I imagine when on adaptive full beam we kind of get that anyway as it will just dip where it needs to, so maybe this is more for the US market where full blown adaptive still isn’t on Teslas.
No use to the likes of me. Mine has the original forward facing carbide lamps 😂

• Funny
Reactions: FastLaneJB
No use to the likes of me. Mine has the original forward facing carbide lamps 😂

I think fog lights would be good to use for cornering lights on the original lighting system.

I’ve never seen the need previously, but with Model 3 there are a number of scenarios where additional side illumination would help when turning into a dark area.

Not sure how wide a beam the Tesla fog lights are. Fog lights would originally have been a pencil beam on passenger side and wide beam drivers side so that wouldn’t help, but you see turning lights on other cars so I don’t think they can still work like that.

I've a vague recollection they did use cornering lights on the original Model S, a quick google and my memory appears right..

I imagine in the new implementation its more a directed beam so if the car is going around a gentle left hand bend, the beam shift to the left, even when at speed, I've seen that on other makes, so maybe thats whats been talked about rather than the old functionality where its more when turning into a side street

My 2018 S was advertised with 'Adaptive Headlights' which was actually the respective LED fog lamp lighting when turning. Still useful for highlighting edge detail on country lanes in the dark, but far from adaptive matrix that Tesla have finally begun working on lately.

Fog lights would originally have been a pencil beam on passenger side and wide beam drivers side so that wouldn’t help, but you see turning lights on other cars so I don’t think they can still work like that.
The vehicles I've owned with cornering lights, whilst built into the fog light assembly, have separate elements that light up and point in a different direction to the actual fog light.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
I don’t really understand the usefulness of cornering lights with matrix headlights, surely lighting up all LEDs is more useful than limiting LEDs depending on steering wheel position? Which is how I assume Tesla have implemented it. I have cornering lights on my Kia, but they are separate lights that activate when cornering at low speed.

I don’t really understand the usefulness of cornering lights with matrix headlights, surely lighting up all LEDs is more useful than limiting LEDs depending on steering wheel position? Which is how I assume Tesla have implemented it. I have cornering lights on my Kia, but they are separate lights that activate when cornering at low speed.
Only if they are all on. If they're off because of traffic ahead, or ambient light conditions, then having the ability to 'steer' a beam around a corner is very useful - I've had it in the past in another car and my wifes current car has it with standard (non-matrix) LED headlights. The Tesla implementation could be anything from using the left/right headlight adjusters to direct the beam, lighting up some additional left/right LEDs or even just using the left/right fog lights - or a combination of all three.

Reactions: Chimpy McChimp
Only if they are all on. If they're off because of traffic ahead, or ambient light conditions, then having the ability to 'steer' a beam around a corner is very useful - I've had it in the past in another car and my wifes current car has it with standard (non-matrix) LED headlights. The Tesla implementation could be anything from using the left/right headlight adjusters to direct the beam, lighting up some additional left/right LEDs or even just using the left/right fog lights - or a combination of all three.
Doesn’t really compute.. if they’re all on unless there’s a good cause for that bit not to be illuminated due to traffic ahead then they should not turn on “cornering lights” anyway in that direction.

If it’s ambient lighting is bright enough you don’t need it, and Tesla don’t seem to dip anyway where street lights boost the light levels

My money is this is no more than a halfway house as the US don’t have proper adaptive lighting enabled and they just change the dipped beam a little left or right depending on the road ahead to keep US owners happy.

Don't think it will be the fog lights as they mentioned this should be all Model 3's for instance the Highland doesn't have front fog lights anymore. Agree that it's useful and nice if they can give us this without cost. Again in the past on the German cars I've had, this would be a chargeable option.

Doesn’t really compute.. if they’re all on unless there’s a good cause for that bit not to be illuminated due to traffic ahead then they should not turn on “cornering lights” anyway in that direction.

If it’s ambient lighting is bright enough you don’t need it, and Tesla don’t seem to dip anyway where street lights boost the light levels

My money is this is no more than a halfway house as the US don’t have proper adaptive lighting enabled and they just change the dipped beam a little left or right depending on the road ahead to keep US owners happy.
Cornering/steering/directional headlights are not the same as Matrix LED headlights. They have existed in various forms for many years - I had headlights which would steer with the direction of the car and adjust the beam for motorway driving as far back as 2010 on a BMW 3 series for example. In a more basic form, fog lights have been used for manouvreing or slow speed tight turns for even longer. As I said, the Tesla implementation could be using any combination of methods to provide cornering lights.

I agree, if all LEDs are lit up then cornering lights are a bit pointless as the lights are at their max capacity - but they're not always all on and unless you're on a very quiet stretch of road then more often than not they're doing the blanking out thing so any changes in vehicle direction mean that you're potentially turning towards somwhere that the lights aren't illuminating.

The release notes provided by Tesla specifically differentiate between markets which have been given Adaptive Matrix lights and those which haven't;
1717585055673.png

Release notes for an Atom car below.

If you already have adaptive headlights turned on, then the cornering thing is part of that setting and you don’t have to do anything.

I wonder what has changed with the Autopilot suspension setup? Maybe just the 7 day cool off?

Attachments

• IMG_7465.jpeg
    IMG_7465.jpeg
    833.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7464.jpeg
    IMG_7464.jpeg
    756.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7463.jpeg
    IMG_7463.jpeg
    888.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7462.jpeg
    IMG_7462.jpeg
    927.9 KB · Views: 3
Release notes for an Atom car below.

If you already have adaptive headlights turned on, then the cornering thing is part of that setting and you don’t have to do anything.

I wonder what has changed with the Autopilot suspension setup? Maybe just the 7 day cool off?
The autopilot suspension seems to be just a strike is removed for every week of clean driving. The previous approach just continued to rot up so even a relatively good driver/user would end up being banned for a week

Reactions: Durzel