Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it is likely going to be the old Porsche dealership as Tesla are taking it over as a service centre. Superchargers will hopefully follow.
Oh, that's useful. Any idea on timescales?
I'm afraid I don't know where that old dealership is. Could you give a street address or description ?

Reactions: petit_bateau
Drove past Crimple Hall in Harrogate earlier today. Looks to be progressing well. Appears to be 6 tombstones

Attachments

• 20211224_141516.jpg
    20211224_141516.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 20211224_141509.jpg
    20211224_141509.jpg
    694.9 KB · Views: 107
Re Ferndown and the Porsche dealership at 282 New Rd, West Parley, Ferndown BH22 8ER. With time to kill just now did a planning search on that address and immediate surrounds on Dorset and Bournemouth Council web sites, nothing relevant found. That's on the assumption the installation of superchargers would need a planning application?
I also had a go and didn’t manage to find anything, just a few historical submissions for, e.g., cutting old trees down.

Superchargers don’t need planning permission but Tesla’s new service centres elsewhere have had associated submissions for new signage and other building modifications which sometimes include details of the superchargers in the planning drawings. A new Ferndown service centre may be in the pipeline and not on the public planning portal yet, but so far I don’t see anything to confirm Tesla have taken over the Porsche site.

🔥🔥At least 8x SuC bays going in at Nottingham Victoria Centre NG1 3QN. Area is fenced off and tombstones and square ponies for at least 8 stalls are already there. There may be more that weren’t in the photos so 8 is the minimum. As it’s a shopping centre there is a chance that these might be V2.

I snapped these 2 yesterday. Not much has changed since them first being reported in November.

I wonder if idle fees will be different considering these are inside a shopping centre car park? You get a ticket upon entry and have to pay to park.

94733933-2906-457A-BBE6-13D9A239A1E7.jpeg

026AACCE-C42B-4D88-A357-EA0710F3ED84.jpeg

Is it me, or is the idea of putting Superchargers in shopping centres an effort in futility for everyone?

The car charges so quickly that you pretty much have to stay with it at most places or you'll be accumulating idle fees by the time you get back. I won't leave the motorway to charge at a retail centre due to the surrounding traffic (M1 to Leicester Fosse Park is a good example, or M5 Cribbs Causeway), you have to navigate a multi-story car park and actually find the things, and on top of that most shopping centres have free 7kW chargers you can dump a car on for a couple of hours if you want.

All I want from Superchargers is something like Rugby services - easy access, enough chargers for busy times, and reasonable food and toilets within easy walk. If Tesla want to charge 50p/kWh (which is where we'll be within six weeks at most SCs), they're going to have to put them in more practical places.

Is it me, or is the idea of putting Superchargers in shopping centres an effort in futility for everyone?

The car charges so quickly that you pretty much have to stay with it at most places or you'll be accumulating idle fees by the time you get back. I won't leave the motorway to charge at a retail centre due to the surrounding traffic (M1 to Leicester Fosse Park is a good example, or M5 Cribbs Causeway), you have to navigate a multi-story car park and actually find the things, and on top of that most shopping centres have free 7kW chargers you can dump a car on for a couple of hours if you want.

All I want from Superchargers is something like Rugby services - easy access, enough chargers for busy times, and reasonable food and toilets within easy walk. If Tesla want to charge 50p/kWh (which is where we'll be within six weeks at most SCs), they're going to have to put them in more practical places.
Now imagine what you would also want if you didn't have home charging, knowing that shopping centers are designed to be within driving distance of large numbers of people.

Reactions: jimbo_hippo

This insightful chap said similar on Twitter

Shopping centres will serve some users and draw them away from the ones you like so you will benefit from their existence. Tesla are trying to get them in every possible location, and with the Moto and Roadchef projects you should find loads more motorway services are like Rugby in 2022.
Tesla are not choosing shopping centres *instead* of other locations, they are *as-well-as*, but motorway service areas are run by a handful of companies and the HV power supply just isn’t there so lots more negotiation and planning is required meaning a much slower rollout. Shopping centres have substantial supplies by default so they are an easy win. They also serve owners who might not be able to charge at home but can instead charge once a week at the shopping centre.