Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Norton Park has disappeared too.
It looks like Tesla have accidentally reclassified 5 existing UK Supercharge markers as "coming soon" locations. This would be good news if it indicates plans to expand/upgrade those sites. However Grantham had a "coming soon" marker earlier this year (in that case it was in addition to the existing Supercharger pin) which appeared in February but was then removed in April.

For reference the 5 sites are: Banbury, Burtonwood, Canary Wharf, Warwick Northbound and Winchester - Norton Park.

Note also that Brent Cross disappeared from the map in May but as far as I am aware it's still a live, 2-bay site.

In summary I think the marker update is a plus for Norton Park (naturally any inferences are to be taken with a hefty pinch of salt).

Reactions: Jason71
Why would you upgrade Norton park? You now have superchargers at Winchester SC and amesbury and as per the update some at Winchester services. Norton park should just install some destination chargers instead. There would be no reason to use Norton park for supercharging now surely there are much better options on the main roads not miles off it

As there is a power supply already there and it should be a relatively low cost expansion, why wouldn't you?

Because there's a limited power supply there barely able to supply the equipment already installed. It's also a much less convenient location than some of the more recent sites (significant detour into the site even if you are on the A303).

Reactions: Arran
Below is a summary of the changes in Tesla's latest "coming soon" map markers (UK only).
There are 22 new markers plus 5 existing Superchargers re-labelled "coming soon" (presumably site expansions).
8 markers have been removed; of the remainder, 18 are later, 2 are more specific and 9 are unchanged.
A few of the markers have had name changes which are mostly minor tweaks (e.g. London - Wimbledon is now just Wimbledon) but note Bexleyheath has become London - Sidcup.
Q1 2023 looks unfeasibly busy whereas the indicative schedule for the rest of this year looks plausible plus there will, no doubt, be a number of site openings at locations not shown on Tesla's map.
Trumpington is presumably an expansion rather than a new site, I would guess.

Reactions: cezdoc
Trumpington is presumably an expansion rather than a new site, I would guess.

It doesn't really make any sense either way. It's an almost-new site, with no obvious provision made when building it to allow for future expansion. But equally there's nowhere nearby that makes sense as a new site.

I'm coming to think that this latest batch of updates contains even less meaningful data than usual.

Reactions: cezdoc
It doesn't really make any sense either way. It's an almost-new site, with no obvious provision made when building it to allow for future expansion. But equally there's nowhere nearby that makes sense as a new site.

I'm coming to think that this latest batch of updates contains even less meaningful data than usual.
If not a new site, and not an expansion, maybe replacement of the V3 superchargers with V4? 😀

• Funny
Reactions: arg

Just a hopeful thought but possible that Trumpingon will actually turn out to be Cambridge services which is run by Extra. There are new markers at Peterborough, Beaconsfield and Winchester which are are also Extra Motorway services which makes me think this is possible.

Just a hopeful thought but possible that Trumpingon will actually turn out to be Cambridge services which is run by Extra. There are new markers at Peterborough, Beaconsfield and Winchester which are are also Extra Motorway services which makes me think this is possible.
May impact Ionity if is the case. Gridserve also have chargers at these sites IIRC so could be another JV as part of that expansion…

Late reply but I used them on Friday and there were others using them as well but I also spotted that it showed as out of use on our way back past so can't actually confirm :(
Turns out they were all dead (Hartshead Moor east). The map actually routed us up to the next junction and back down to the other side of the services to the ones that were working.... and then another uturn at the junction below that. Better than nothing but a pain. No signage at all to indicate they were out of service or why or when they'd be back.

I had a look at Tesla's UK list today and see there has been a bit of tidying up: existing sites that were relabelled "coming soon" have been returned plus one or two others have been renamed. The duplicate Trumpington marker is one of a handful that have been removed. So some of the nonsense in last week's update has disappeared.

Restored supercharger markers: Banbury, Burtonwood, Canary Wharf, Warwick-Northbound, Winchester-Norton Park. London-Brent Cross has also reappeared after disappearing in January.
Banbury now has a separate coming soon marker (shown on the map, although if navigating from the UK list both entries take you to the coming soon marker).
The second Stratford marker (London - Stratford) has been removed; the previous Stratford (coming soon) marker remains.
Heathrow (coming soon) has been removed - despite it marking a site apparently already under construction.
Trumpington (coming soon) has been removed as mentioned above.

I also noticed a few name changes:
- Saracens Stadium has become London-Hendon (coming soon)
- Canary Wharf has lost its London prefix;
- Northampton is now Northampton-Grange Park;
- Nottingham City Centre is now Nottingham-Victoria Centre.

Belfast now has a target opening date of Q1 2023 rather than Q3 2022. I'll have a look through the other markers in due course to see if there are any other changes lurking.

Below is a summary of the changes in Tesla's latest "coming soon" map markers (UK only).
There are 22 new markers plus 5 existing Superchargers re-labelled "coming soon" (presumably site expansions).
8 markers have been removed; of the remainder, 18 are later, 2 are more specific and 9 are unchanged.
A few of the markers have had name changes which are mostly minor tweaks (e.g. London - Wimbledon is now just Wimbledon) but note Bexleyheath has become London - Sidcup.
Q1 2023 looks unfeasibly busy whereas the indicative schedule for the rest of this year looks plausible plus there will, no doubt, be a number of site openings at locations not shown on Tesla's map.

View attachment 839872
Here's a refreshed table. Changes relative to the July listing (rather than last week's update):
- 20 new markers plus 1 possible upgrade/expansion (Banbury)
- 9 markers removed
- 19 markers have a later target opening date
- 7 are unchanged
- 2 are more specific

2022-08-15 Tesla Map Marker Updates.png

Here's a refreshed table. Changes relative to the July listing (rather than last week's update):
- 20 new markers plus 1 possible upgrade/expansion (Banbury)
- 9 markers removed
- 19 markers have a later target opening date
- 7 are unchanged
- 2 are more specific

View attachment 841222
”Windsor” pin looks suspiciously close to the Marriott Hotel on the edge of Slough but known as Heathrow/Windsor. M4 getting even more coverage!

It would be great if the Cobham M25 Extra site also benefitted from any Extra/Ionity agreement.
Was at Cobham M25 this afternoon. All the gridserve and Ionity chargers were working and full with queues evident at each. Woefully inadequate! Tesla Superchargers on the M25 totally absent with the exception of South Mims. There is a shortage of services on Britain's busiest motorway only 3 in 173 miles. If the Govt. is serious about electrification it must impose adequate ultra fast chargers at every motorway service station.

Tebay south this weekend - sadly the first time I’ve seen it full and 3 cars waiting. The blue M3 ahead of me in the queue had passed me on the M6 at about Mach 3 then hit the brakes at the 300m to come off sign. Cheers!
We sacked it off and continued onwards.
Just for info, from another occasion, there are some InstaVolts at Kendal. But the sat nav took me to the exit of the car park (Booths) not the more useful entrance!! (2 mile reroute to get 50ft!)

Tebay south this weekend - sadly the first time I’ve seen it full and 3 cars waiting. The blue M3 ahead of me in the queue had passed me on the M6 at about Mach 3 then hit the brakes at the 300m to come off sign. Cheers!
We sacked it off and continued onwards.
Just for info, from another occasion, there are some InstaVolts at Kendal. But the sat nav took me to the exit of the car park (Booths) not the more useful entrance!! (2 mile reroute to get 50ft!)
Good to see that Tebay north is on the list. Cars are presently in the Tebay South SC travelling from both directions.