Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just been quoted £460 to have my hypervolt fitted. I've already bought the charger but everything else will be supplied by the sparky.

Essentially the work is to split the meter tails in the meter cabinet, fit an external CU with an SPD and RCBO for the charger, then about a 7 meter run along the wall to the front of the house where the charger be (its a very easy run).

Does that figure sound about right?

I had my Hypervolt installed this morning and I'm really happy with Ecology who installed it. Very polite, friendly and done in just over 90 mins.

A new fusebox was fitted in the meter cupboard for the charger. It's a shame I'm going to have to wait until September to use it.

View attachment 823000
I had my Hypervolt installed this morning and I'm really happy with Ecology who installed it. Very polite, friendly and done in just over 90 mins.

A new fusebox was fitted in the meter cupboard for the charger. It's a shame I'm going to have to wait until September to use it.

View attachment 823000View attachment 823002
Not used mine for nearly 9 months. I had a new mains put into the garage and a consumer unit so can run hot tub and charger at the same time. Just in case I have too and supply extra amps to garage and out buildings. All future proofed.

I was quoted 495 for this (excludes charger) but includes an SPD.

F110AD86-4E58-4EE0-B056-AD0F4D9E6DE9.jpeg

Just been quoted £460 to have my hypervolt fitted. I've already bought the charger but everything else will be supplied by the sparky.

Essentially the work is to split the meter tails in the meter cabinet, fit an external CU with an SPD and RCBO for the charger, then about a 7 meter run along the wall to the front of the house where the charger be (its a very easy run).

Does that figure sound about right?
A bargain by London pricing standards.
Will there be a PEN fault detector in the system?

Today I had an update on the on goings of my EV charge point...

Turns out, I would need UK Power Network to come to my house to upgrade the fuse main head to 100amps. (currently on 60 and never been upgraded) to make matters even worse, I am on a looped system with my neighbours, so it could potentially mean UK Power Network need to dig up the road and run fresh cabling into my house.

Could take a few months for all this to happen but when it does, I have decided between the Hypervolt 2.0, Tesla Gen 3 or perhaps the Andersen a2 wall points.

Fingers crossed this can get done this side of Christmas...

EDIT: Got a quote for £350 all in. So not bad... All the work carried out by UK Power Network is free... so a little plus!

Reactions: SomeGuyWithaY
Today I had an update on the on goings of my EV charge point...

Turns out, I would need UK Power Network to come to my house to upgrade the fuse main head to 100amps. (currently on 60 and never been upgraded) to make matters even worse, I am on a looped system with my neighbours, so it could potentially mean UK Power Network need to dig up the road and run fresh cabling into my house.

Could take a few months for all this to happen but when it does, I have decided between the Hypervolt 2.0, Tesla Gen 3 or perhaps the Andersen a2 wall points.

Fingers crossed this can get done this side of Christmas...

EDIT: Got a quote for £350 all in. So not bad... All the work carried out by UK Power Network is free... so a little plus!
Had all that work done last year, can take an age because the DNO are currently flat out doing them everywhere. Took 6 months in total.

However once done I was informed the line to outside my house is now 3 phase so upgradable in the future👍

As regards wall chargers, bound to cause friction, but most of it is aesthetics. I got a free BP Pulse unit from my last car purchase and you know what it simply works. Schedule charge in Tesla App for cheap rate leccy at 12:30 and it does it’s job. The charger itself may as well be dumb, I rarely check the BP Pulse app as what’s the point? It’s all in the Tesla app. No complaints for free anyway…

Attachments

• 90BB3AC9-17B7-4918-9155-5845F38FFED0.jpeg
    90BB3AC9-17B7-4918-9155-5845F38FFED0.jpeg
    660.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 09F061F4-001C-4CAA-8092-EA85ABC8FF86.jpeg
    09F061F4-001C-4CAA-8092-EA85ABC8FF86.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
Had all that work done last year, can take an age because the DNO are currently flat out doing them everywhere. Took 6 months in total.

However once done I was informed the line to outside my house is now 3 phase so upgradable in the future👍

As regards wall chargers, bound to cause friction, but most of it is aesthetics. I got a free BP Pulse unit from my last car purchase and you know what it simply works. Schedule charge in Tesla App for cheap rate leccy at 12:30 and it does it’s job. The charger itself may as well be dumb, I rarely check the BP Pulse app as what’s the point? It’s all in the Tesla app. No complaints for free anyway…
Glad to know someone else went through this and came out positive!

I have an engineer from UKPN coming out on 5th Sept to take a look at everything and make the judgement.
It could be possible my looped system may end with me, but thats for UKPN to check.

Noted on the wall chargers, I may just go with the cheaper options!

Glad to know someone else went through this and came out positive!

I have an engineer from UKPN coming out on 5th Sept to take a look at everything and make the judgement.
It could be possible my looped system may end with me, but thats for UKPN to check.

Noted on the wall chargers, I may just go with the cheaper options!
I can't speak to highly for my UKPN experience. I found their schedulers, pre install, to be technically savvy, helpful and friendly.
The installation techs were quick and efficient.
My original 60 amp fuse could only be upgraded to 80 amps due to my 16mm tails.
UKPN were happy that the 80 amps would suffice thereby saving me the cost of getting a sparks to upgrade the tails.

Dealing with utilities, telecoms, local council departments et al is usually a frustrating process. Consequently, when treated to a smooth ride ( UKPN and Mr Charger) the feeling is almost euphoric.

So far, very happy with my Tesla 3rd gen wall point.

And why not.
It is only my experience driven paranoia of "Your problem is with their A not our B"
that has me seeking one stop shops whenever practical. So, Tesla Car, Tesla Wall Point and Tesla Approved Installer (Mr Charger).

Of course, if there is problem, they may implicate the gas supplier😊
P.S. The above has been sitting there un-:rolleyes:posted

• Funny
Reactions: Toblerone