Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 order page open!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Insurance Question to people who will go the PCP route:

Will any of you be getting GAP insurance? I'm assuming the first 12 months Direct line will replace with new

this is for the people who do not know:

The reason is that if the car is written off or stolen the Insurance will only pay what its worth at that time (so if 2 year old they will pay out for what it is worth being 2 years old)

The GAP insurance (guaranteed asset protection) covers the difference between what its worth (say 1 year old) to new.

The reason the question is that most people who do PCP will be returning the car at the end of the agreement (my big assumption, sorry!) and the finance company will want the same (or a "newer" same) back, not a second hand version bought with insurance money.

Will any of you be getting GAP insurance? I'm assuming the first 12 months Direct line will replace with new

I did when I bought my S, on a replacement basis, not back to invoice. I did this because the price of the car was going up. Also the DL 12 month thing only applies if a replacement car is ‘readily available’ which generally means in stock somewhere. I didn’t want to rely on that so bought the cover starting on day one. Finally, if you did insure with DL in year one and they hike the premium in year two, and you switch Insurers you have a problem as the car is then too old to buy Gap insurance for.

The reason the question is that most people who do PCP will be returning the car at the end of the agreement (my big assumption, sorry!) and the finance company will want the same (or a "newer" same) back, not a second hand version bought with insurance money.

If the car is subject to a claim and written off then the insurance payout is used to clear the finance, with any shortfall being covered by the Gap insurance. You would never be handing a different car back at the end of the PCP to the one the loan was taken out on.

Reactions: -DB-
In your case I expect RHD vehicles to be on the Grand Phoenix that just left SFO. It seems to be filled to the brim and that's usually a sign that it's the first big delivery to a market. That would correspond to appointments made end of June and final deliveries around the first and second weeks of July.

This is supposed to be pulling into pannema today. If it has the first batch of UK orders in it, they must have been getting built before the order page opened? Even at 4000 cars, its only a weeks production?

There was a dip in output according to bloomberg just at the end of April and the first week of May - I wonder if that was the first batch of RHD. I know they said they were setup for RHD from the start, but actually turning it on for the first time is going to be different I would assume. My personal concern is that the towbar option didn't come available until after this (I ordered with on the 8th), which may push my order to the second boat? Depends if it really is a factory fit option or if it is something that can be done at re-assembly time in europe.

Just some thoughts really.

But, yeah, it may not be as "factory fitted" as the order process implies. Service Centres are rammed enough that getting people to factory-order helps
I'm really interested to see if new VINs come with a tow rating or if its just the ones with the factory fitting that will get a rating. I don't think a rating can be retrospectively applied (certainly hasn't been done before for a whole model, there is an individual car process that could be abused tho), so it might be the combination of its illegal for some cars plus service center busyness that they don't want to add to that makes it much simpler to just say 'at order time'. At least for the moment.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
This is supposed to be pulling into pannema today. If it has the first batch of UK orders in it, they must have been getting built before the order page opened? Even at 4000 cars, its only a weeks production?

There was a dip in output according to bloomberg just at the end of April and the first week of May - I wonder if that was the first batch of RHD. I know they said they were setup for RHD from the start, but actually turning it on for the first time is going to be different I would assume. My personal concern is that the towbar option didn't come available until after this (I ordered with on the 8th), which may push my order to the second boat? Depends if it really is a factory fit option or if it is something that can be done at re-assembly time in europe.

Just some thoughts really.

They're only going to ship cars they know can be delivered to customers - handover/prep resource will be the limiting factor and I *guess* someone in Teslaworld will have taken this into account, Maybe even an ERP system I bang on about?!?!?

They're only going to ship cars they know can be delivered to customers

Dunno. I am sure that applies to rarre options like TowBar, but the "Range" is so small they could just make a bunch and then "fit" them to customer orders. That gives them stuff to sell out-front and seems to be what they did in USA - despite huge backlog of orders.

Won't be long until we know. I ordered a SR+ the day after orders opened, with no prior deposit. I reckon I should be at the back of the queue ...