Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, Tesla paint can be quite resilient to scuffs, even the original Fremont stuff apparently....

This is what an old fella did to my Model 3 in the Aldi carpark by the canal - THE DAY IT WAS BEING SOLD LAST DECEMBER !! šŸ˜² (I had used the furthest deserted extremity with empty bays all round me but to no avail - a kind lady had stayed by her car to point out the culprit)

T-Cut removed all trace half an hour later :). I don't think he was so lucky (or cared)

IMG_4378.JPG

...farewell old friend šŸ˜¢(the parking sensor, not the car)

IMG_4376.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Lord Farquad
@Lord Farquad . You say "obviously drove off" I agree - that's exactly what we expect people to do nowadays - take no responsibility for their actions, You say it was a decent knock - so the old dear would have known she hit your car - You really would think that the older generation would have a better level of decency and integrity - and you just know that if you had stopped her she would deny hitting the car - until she saw the sentry footage. I do hope you are going to follow this up and have her registration number, report it to the police to obtain her details and out of complete bloody mindedness for her dishonesty have your bumper machine polished or painted so its absolutely pristine - and find the most expensive place to take it.

Reactions: pow216
@Lord Farquad . You say "obviously drove off" I agree - that's exactly what we expect people to do nowadays - take no responsibility for their actions, You say it was a decent knock - so the old dear would have known she hit your car - You really would think that the older generation would have a better level of decency and integrity - and you just know that if you had stopped her she would deny hitting the car - until she saw the sentry footage. I do hope you are going to follow this up and have her registration number, report it to the police to obtain her details and out of complete bloody mindedness for her dishonesty have your bumper machine polished or painted so its absolutely pristine - and find the most expensive place to take it.
Yes Iā€™ve reported it to the Police, more to check on her fitness to drive. If she didnā€™t notice my great white MYLR would she have seen my daughter crossing?

I wonā€™t report to the insurance as no damage has been caused (that I canā€™t sort myself).

Even though itā€™s a non fault claim, if I were to make one itā€™d see my premiums effected, as insurers say statistically if you are involved in an accident you are likely to be in another within 12 months (learnt that from a previous car park non fault one). Scandalous really.

If itā€™d broken the paint I might be tempted.

I had someone reverse into my model 3 the day before I was due to turn it in to Tesla. I was sat in the car at the time, waiting for my wife to get back.

Having hit the car so hard I felt it move, he waved and drove off.. just didn't care. The paint mostly survived and I was able to polish it to the point you couldn't tell unless you knew what you were looking for - it is indeed more resilient than it looks.

Never been reversed into before or since, it's like it was timed for maximum panic.

There has to be a better system because the way it currently works is ridiculous.
Much as I too hate paying into what is often a rigged system - it's hard to imagine what would replace it. It would be a very, very fundamental change to the way we look at money, possessions and value though. In ~3,500 years nothing better has surfaced as a general principle.

Like almost everything financial, it's basically legalised gambling that allows us to offset risk isn't it - I for one would welcome far better transparency and regulation to protect consumers though... shan't hold my breath though. Bookies and pay day loan companies still exist.

It's effectively a vehicle tax as you're not allowed to drive the vehicle without insurance so why not treat it as such?

A flat rate you pay every year, which can differ depending on which insurance group the car is in. And then add a bit more depending on driver age or the number of years you've held your license for. Maybe add a premium on top if you claim 3 times or more in 5 years or something like that. If you need to put in a claim then you can but it won't affect what you have to pay next year as it's just a tax.

Reactions: H43lio
When I was getting quotes for my Model 3 I found that selecting it was parked in a garage overnight was about Ā£80 more expensive vs having it parked on the driveway overnight, not sure how that makes sense.
Iā€™ve been told before that youā€™ve got more chance of damaging the car by parking in a garage.

Youā€™d have thought the extra security leading to fewer thefts would have offset that, wouldnā€™t you?

Iā€™ve been told before that youā€™ve got more chance of damaging the car by parking in a garage.

Youā€™d have thought the extra security leading to fewer thefts would have offset that, wouldnā€™t you?
Probably a valid point since they took the parking sensors away lol.

Yeah that was my thinking, it must be way more unlikely to be stolen, broken into or vandalised if it was in a garage.

• Energy efficiency including minimal conversion losses when charging.
  • Among the best for rated & usable range.
  • Walk-up open->PIN->drive simplicity including ring as key if needed, walk away lock.
  • Plenty of storage including a usable Frunk.
  • Uninterrupted panoramic roof (Model Y).
  • Software updates without visiting a dealer.
  • Sentry mode is occasionally useful.

Personal preference:
  • Minimalism of no buttons or switches & have no issue with using a single centre screen.
  • I also enjoy driving a Tesla with performance when needed, ie overtaking.
There are things to dislike too but nothing in life is perfect & I've been pleasantly surprised how much more I prefer the Y over my former 3.

Having said all this, if asked I always point out the numerous frustrations that can come with Tesla ownership & on that basis I usually come across as rather negative. In my opinion, Teslas' overall attitude to their customers justifies that stance.
Interesting! Which other brands/model did you look at?

Interesting! Which other brands/model did you look at?
I had the loan of a brand new, top spec iPace for a month in 2021 (too many things I didn't like) and our second EV is a Fiat 500e (great little EV). Purely out of interest I've test driven an EV6, an Ionic 5, used my Brothers Kona a few times and been a passenger in a Skoda Enyaq and Peugeot 208EV.

Although I once owned a BMW, I really dislike the current styling and although I've never been in one I wouldn't consider an Audi eTron. I couldn't justify a Mercedes EV and quite like the fact that there are so few options to spec or pay extra for on a Tesla.

When we were buying the Fiat we also looked at Mini, Corsa and Honda EVs in showrooms but didn't drive any of them.

I've yet to seriously look elsewhere because of the supercharger network but maybe by the time I come to sell the Model Y this won't be such a USP.

Reactions: Boza
Tesla get a lot of things right.

There is no hard sell (or outright lies) about servicing, for one. Tesla suggest the bare minimum compared to other marques and there's no spectre of warranty voiding if you don't adhere to it. They don't need to do this because they didn't set themselves up with big glass fronted dealerships that need to justify their existence. I find it utterly ridiculous that Porsche, for example, charge Ā£2304 for a "4 year servicing plan" which must surely just amount to some filters and an inspection - since that's all EVs basically need.

I personally think the lack of dealerships that have to justify themselves is a boon for Tesla. I do get that some people need to be fawned over like royalty when they buy and collect a car, but I'd suggest that's atypical nowadays - people buying cars nowadays are more tech savvy, happy to use websites to order, etc. Legacy marques really need to think about adopting Teslas model to save money, I think, even if it does come at the cost of sales and front of house.

Likewise mobile service is great. My previous car was an Audi, and luckily my closest Audi is only 4 miles up the road, but any servicing, etc still required me to either take a morning off or work on their premises, neither of which was desirable. WIth Tesla they just turn up and can do everything without me even being involved. Zero hassle, it's the way EV maintenance needs to be I think - and that means the legacy manufacturers need to be thinking about how they put their cars together to make mobile service practical.

I would say, however, in spite of all of the above that I feel like Tesla haven't quite struck the right balance in so much as they are not accommodating at all to people who want a personal touch. Everything is done via the app, including talking to a tech. I can see why some people would find this impersonal, and I've been lucky enough that all of my issues with the car have been trivial things, I've not had problems that have been chronic that needed escalation etc.

I also think Tesla's software is the gold standard. It's not perfect in that - like Apple - you get what they want you to have (e.g. no CarPlay, etc), and the focus on gimmicks and games is irritating (to me). That being said, at least you get this stuff OTA with no hassle. It boggles the mind that cars still have to go to dealers for software updates in 2023. Again, I suspect that's more about seeing customers periodically so they can upsell them or whatever. I've sampled a few different EVs and almost without exception the software has been anachronistic - either poorly performing in its own right, or because of the woeful hardware that is running it (i.e. an Android tablet from 2005 or something), or both. Tesla's UX by comparison is great. I would concede that - again - it only caters to who they consider to be their primary market - techie millenials or younger. The fact you can't increase the font size on anything must be annoying to older people.

All of that is to say that Tesla isn't perfect but there's aspects to owning one that I wouldn't want to change, but there are fundamental omissions that are more and more pushing me towards that way of thinking.

It does crack me up when car reviewers are talking about software and using UIs on cars.

They often say ā€˜itā€™s really responsiveā€™ and you can actually see itā€™s a laggy mess when they are pressing the various button and have to go into menus 6 screens deep to change basic setting. The other give away is that it looks like windows 3.11

If that was the state of an iPhone, there would be uproar. Itā€™s generally the one thing Tesla gets right, their screens and software is actually intuitive to use and very simple.

Itā€™s really obvious when the software is bad, the reviewers just gloss over it really quickly as they donā€™t want to say too many negative things or theyā€™ll not keep getting those press cars.

Reactions: Cardo and Durzel
I would say, however, in spite of all of the above that I feel like Tesla haven't quite struck the right balance in so much as they are not accommodating at all to people who want a personal touch. Everything is done via the app, including talking to a tech. I can see why some people would find this impersonal, and I've been lucky enough that all of my issues with the car have been trivial things, I've not had problems that have been chronic that needed escalation etc.

Though service communication goes through the app I've actually also received a phone call from someone to discuss the issue ... and someone who does actually appear to be involved at a workshop level so knows what they are talking about ... so that was reassuring.