Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. Just provides park assist warnings for all cars without USS. None of the above have been sorted yet.
The positive implication of Tesla’s integrated approach is that each of these functions builds on the other and get progressively easier as the system advances.

After all, what is Smart [reverse] Summon if not a short FSD drive with an auto park at the end of it?

It could be that the auto park function has been waiting on having parking sensor functionality that can spot kerbs and the USS replacement function may unblock it.

I'll keep my ultrasonics, thanks.

Don’t worry, nobody wants your car because of the splatter from all the bitter lemon sucking that goes on in there.

Thanks for posting that, it’s an interesting video because it shows that the system is exercising discretion about how it treats the objects around it. It does detect the cone (as showed on the display) but doesn’t treat it as a parking obstacle for the distance reading.

If Tesla were literally trying to replicate the function of USS then all they would be doing is detecting occupied space and alerting about it so this might indicate more sophisticated logic coming in future.

• Funny
Reactions: boombap
Don’t worry, nobody wants your car because of the splatter from all the bitter lemon sucking that goes on in there.
It's ok, I understand why you're lashing out. I'd be upset too if I was stupid enough to take delivery of a car without USS, spend time on this forum defending Tesla for doing so and then having to see how inadequate the vision replacement turned out to be

Thanks for posting that, it’s an interesting video because it shows that the system is exercising discretion about how it treats the objects around it. It does detect the cone (as showed on the display) but doesn’t treat it as a parking obstacle for the distance reading.

If Tesla were literally trying to replicate the function of USS then all they would be doing is detecting occupied space and alerting about it so this might indicate more sophisticated logic coming in future.
But it didn't always detect the cone. Unless it's sophisticated logic and discretion had determined that it wasn't worth drawing or notifying the driver about at all when reversing.

In it's current iteration it is deeply flawed. Not fit for purpose. I don't know how anyone can argue otherwise.

• Disagree
Reactions: boombap and Type2
It does on my cars

Edit: another one for @Mullermn to get upset about 😢

Last edited:
I don't use it meself but Mrs. McChimp informs me that Tesla Europe tweeted that they are rolling it out now.
Which might be too late… only a few hours to go before we know how accurate someone’s calculations are…

Hopefully more accurate than the USS replacement 🤔
7103EB45-6A60-4E65-A40B-EC60864B409C.png

• Funny
Reactions: boombap
This guy has a few short videos of different scenarios. https://m.youtube.com/@peterhuang0523#menu

There’s an increasing amount of content starting to show up on YouTube if you can wade through the ‘creators’ reading other content on the internet at you.

Here’s another one. This has driving rather than just parking manoeuvres.

It’s interesting that the visualisations look a bit slapped together and crude in the way the lines overlap with the other images. I wonder whether they will be better integrated when we see some of the FSD beta single stack users version. I see that 11.3.3 has just started rolling out and is apparently going wider more quickly so hopefully we’ll see a beta user with a non-USS car soon for comparison.

Last edited:
Is it possible to separate the angry and whinging posts about the removal of USS in to another thread so that those of us who are genuinely curious about how Vision based parking will perform don’t have to wade through the bile? Please and thank you.
You could always start another Vision base parking' thread.

The title of this thread seems to be "UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance". I would think it's fair to expect to find both subjects being discussed in this one.

Reactions: Whyone and Zilla91
I'll keep my ultrasonics, thanks.

Like everything, this will improve over time I guess. For people without ultrasonics like my wife's car having something vs nothing is a big improvement.

I do agree though it looks more like about the minimal level of functionality before they could get something out. I think they were under a lot of pressure to get something out quickly as it maybe has been hurting their sales a bit.

Having used my son's Model 3 with USS and now my Y without one. At least it's something, funny thing happen to me at work, I was parking and it did the opposite. When I first tested it in my garage, it says I have an object about 17 inch in front of me even though the garage door was about 12 in. At work, it said I've already hit the wall and it was advising me to "STOP" in big bold red letters even though the wall is a little over 12 inches away. Again, it's better than nothing. I'm sure it will get better eventually.