Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
as expected , complete fail of vision park assist with a single drop of water on the camera. What a shambles.

FsJ0X5wXoAQ7K2O

Wow.

Didn't see that coming.

Who'd have though eh?

Last edited:
My mid 2022 Model Y does have the sensors.

Does this move to Tesla Vision mean that they will be rendered redundant and only cameras will be used for park assist? That would be crazy but if it means Tesla only have to maintain one version of software with Tesla Vision I could see crazy happening.

Does this move to Tesla Vision mean that they will be rendered redundant and only cameras will be used for park assist? That would be crazy but if it means Tesla only have to maintain one version of software with Tesla Vision I could see crazy happening.
At some point, probably, just like they stopped using the radar, but nobody knows for sure or when.

as soon as I would know that the USS are being removed with OTA - that's the moment when I will disable premium connectivity on the car and will remove all wifi profiles from it
This is one of the things which you can’t control it and overnight something can be disabled or enable either you want or not.

On other hand is hard to beat efficiency and other extra's that Tesla offers.

It seems they are pushing hard to get rid of the current inventory by end of Q1

AD1AB2B9-4621-4E49-9E5C-8449278607D0.jpeg

They specifically said there would be no change 'at this time' or words like that. It would make sense to have a single solution in the future just like cars which no longer use the radar. I personally don't find the USS based system particularly valuable, it just says STOP all the time so I ignore it, something that shows curbs might be more useful.

Reactions: init6
They specifically said there would be no change 'at this time' or words like that. It would make sense to have a single solution in the future just like cars which no longer use the radar. I personally don't find the USS based system particularly valuable, it just says STOP all the time so I ignore it, something that shows curbs might be more useful.
Have you seen the video I posted above? If you think the ultrasonics saying stop is bad then you're in for a shock if vision comes along on your car.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I can chose not to install any update unless that would be forced somehow.

It’s not easy to achieve, at least not keeping your sanity at the same time.

They will eventually push a download to you and I don’t think premium connectivity makes any difference. You could park in an underground car park I suppose.

Once they have pushed the download to you, I have never heard of the install being forced on you. But being prompted to install update at start of every drive gets pretty tiresome. The only way that this gets cancelled is when another update gets offered to your car but isn’t downloaded. But that will make its way through at some point.

We got away with not downloading v11 for about 5 months. But at least I got to choose the point that we came back mainstream and missed much of the loose/reinstate of functionality that followed v11.

Tl;dr they will get you in the end.

It’s not easy to achieve, at least not keeping your sanity at the same time.

They will eventually push a download to you and I don’t think premium connectivity makes any difference. You could park in an underground car park I suppose.

Once they have pushed the download to you, I have never heard of the install being forced on you. But being prompted to install update at start of every drive gets pretty tiresome. The only way that this gets cancelled is when another update gets offered to your car but isn’t downloaded. But that will make its way through at some point.

We got away with not downloading v11 for about 5 months. But at least I got to choose the point that we came back mainstream and missed much of the loose/reinstate of functionality that followed v11.

Tl;dr they will get you in the end.
i know...

that is the saddest part here

Reactions: Type2
If Tesla want to update it, they will, and crippling it beforehand hurts nobody but yourself. Grow up.

Not sure it's truly a case of , err, growing up.
Why would anyone allow any upgrade , let's be generous, that ends up compromising the car or ease of use?

If there is one sure way of convincing me to NOT have another Tesla, is burgering about with unwanted OTA " improvements"

Personally, I would find the removal of this feature from a car that is equipped with the sensor hardware to do it a pretty ridiculous act from Tesla. Nothing would surprise me though. I'm onto my 2nd one now and love the driving experience and efficiency, but this single-minded march to the utopia of camera based "self-driving" seems pretty pointless to me.

Forcing auto wipers and auto main beam headlights when in autopilot is in use, is the first thing that has me non plussed. I want to control those things. Overriding sensor hardware that works to replace it with camera based assists that are at the mercy of weather, dirt etc would be equally daft, in my humble opinion. Might encourage me to clean the car more often right enough :)

• Funny
Reactions: SalisburySam
Personally, I would find the removal of this feature from a car that is equipped with the sensor hardware to do it a pretty ridiculous act from Tesla. Nothing would surprise me though. I'm onto my 2nd one now and love the driving experience and efficiency, but this single-minded march to the utopia of camera based "self-driving" seems pretty pointless to me.

Forcing auto wipers and auto main beam headlights when in autopilot is in use, is the first thing that has me non plussed. I want to control those things. Overriding sensor hardware that works to replace it with camera based assists that are at the mercy of weather, dirt etc would be equally daft, in my humble opinion. Might encourage me to clean the car more often right enough :)
The existing sensors are not perfect either, USS misses stuff that's low and close to the car, especially if between sensors. It gives up at about 12" - 18" and just says STOP which basically means it's not very valuable to us over here in the UK where parking spaces are generally tighter than the US.

The existing sensors are not perfect either, USS misses stuff that's low and close to the car, especially if between sensors. It gives up at about 12" - 18" and just says STOP which basically means it's not very valuable to us over here in the UK where parking spaces are generally tighter than the US.
sorry, but this is load of BS.

USS works perfectly fine and it actually detects MORE and much more accurately than TV will ever will.

FFS stop defending this stupid idea.

unless you are the person who will be joyful about warm rain while elon or tesla will be pissing on you.

jesus christ

• Disagree
Reactions: boombap and Simavon
That most certainly wasn't my experience of driving a USS equipped M3 for 3 years in the UK.

I checked it against a bunch of 'stuff' in places I parked regularly and found it pretty reliable and accurate.

sorry, but this is load of BS.

USS works perfectly fine and it actually detects MORE and much more accurately than TV will ever will.

FFS stop defending this stupid idea.

unless you are the person who will be joyful about warm rain while elon or tesla will be pissing on you.

jesus christ
Only improvement I see would be a camera in the bumper. Like all competitors.

Don’t agree. I find the USS pretty good.

I think car manufacturers should be putting more sensors and assistance in their vehicles, not less. I get that Tesla Vision is probably a step ahead of other camera systems in isolation, but pairing it with radar and USS would surely be better than relying 100% on cameras that are fairly easily rendered useless when the weather is less than ideal?

Reactions: Type2