Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki [UK] V11 UI Changes and Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh yeah in addition to my last rant, the audio interface is terrible now. Spotify, then try streaming from phone, and you can’t swipe across anymore. It’s so much worse than before :(. Before I could easily choose different sources

I want the old version back please if anyone at Tesla HQ is listening (but keep the good bits like new font and sonic). Others you can keep…

Oh yeah in addition to my last rant, the audio interface is terrible now. Spotify, then try streaming from phone, and you can’t swipe across anymore. It’s so much worse than before :(. Before I could easily choose different sources

I want the old version back please if anyone at Tesla HQ is listening (but keep the good bits like new font and sonic). Others you can keep…
I had the same issue but then later found out there is a new source called Bluetooth just press that it streams from phone.

Just got in my car and the screen has completely changed. Nice Christmas present from Elon. Will check it tomorrow when I have more time.
6128FC93-A653-4EE2-AA24-BC2E1E5D6978.jpeg
A8265E09-B32F-4F21-92DF-4137DDF04B97.jpeg

Attachments

• 9D7C7829-209B-433B-BD73-0FFA1AF143B3.jpeg
    9D7C7829-209B-433B-BD73-0FFA1AF143B3.jpeg
    442.4 KB · Views: 53
I feel like the UI needs to be pressure tested in a driving environment.

It’s all very well having multiple button presses when you’re in a position to reach the screen with precise finger movement, but it’s another thing entirely when you’re doing it whilst in motion when you’re trying to concentrate on the road, on uneven surfaces and with turns etc.

i don’t feel like the new UI was tested with driving being the primary experience. If it was, then simple controls wouldn’t be behind two button presses, requiring you to press on the screen in two completely different places (bottom right on the Car icon, then top middle), thus requiring you to divert concentration off the road for longer.

I thought the buttons along the bottom in the previous UI were mostly perfect in terms of utility and ease of operation.

It’s all very well having multiple button presses when you’re in a position to reach the screen with precise finger movement, but it’s another thing entirely when you’re doing it whilst in motion when you’re trying to concentrate on the road, on uneven surfaces and with turns etc.

i don’t feel like the new UI was tested with driving being the primary experience. If it was, then simple controls wouldn’t be behind two button presses, requiring you to press on the screen in two completely different places (bottom right on the Car icon, then top middle), thus requiring you to divert concentration off the road for longer.

I thought the buttons along the bottom in the previous UI were mostly perfect in terms of utility and ease of operation.
We are the pressure testers - poorly thought through UI design changes pushed to the stable channel with minimal testing.
Based on past performance there will be tweaks to fix the things people hate the most.

So a fancy light show when we're still waiting for the tile display promised for Thanksgiving 2020.

Screw Sonic, it's a pointless feature, just like the light show (which you'll do once to show your friends, then forget about). For god's sake Elon, it's a car, not a gaming console from the '80s. I suppose all this whimsical stuff would be more enjoyable if the basics were right. Give me my trip card back! Being able to monitor the power consumption on the go is a real aid to driving economically to maximaise range. I've not really driven since the update so I can't comment on the usability of the new interface but so far it doesn't look like an improvement. Some features, not terribly easy to get to before, are even harder to access (as commented previously).

About the coloured icons: When Apple dropped the skeuomorhpic design of their iOS interface I thought it was a mistake, because colour is a channel through which you can communicate meaning, like shape is. Having the icons homogenised disguises them to a certain degree as they tend to look similar and you need to look and think more in order to interpret their meaning. Annoying on a phone, but dangerous when driving a car. Eventually I got used to it, so for me going back to these early Android style icons seems retrograde. It's certainly robbed the UI of some of its futuristic look.

I would like the UI to reflect the fact that it is supposed to be operating a vehicle, and be more driver focused.

Or perhaps we haven't driven with it enough yet, which is perhaps more likely given it's only been here a couple of days,

It seems more convenient to me, some of the controls which used to be a long reach (like to change the map view and find superchargers) are much nearer to the driver now. It also far easier to open and close app windows like Spotify, Energy etc. from the new shortcuts

I assume I'll never need to use the seat heater button now it's automatic. I never used the demister buttons as I set that from the app before leaving the house. I can now access the energy app which is more useful than trip to me. I don't really see why I need immediate access to tyre pressures.

I need to figure out fog lights, they were hardly convenient before though, maybe this new lights pop up.

A day on and I have revised my view from, "OK, but" to "I like it, but not perfect"!
Feel free to disagree!

Many of the changes have been made, it seems to me, to remove redundant information from the screen to minimise distractions whilst driving. For example, the tyre pressure screen: you shouldn't be watching it whilst driving as if there is a small loss of tyre pressure, 3 to 4 psi id pops up, as it always did. A number of comments have been made about the trip information: again it isn't something you need to watch whilst driving, the black/green bar is the best indicator of driving efficiency. The more it is green the few watts are being used. I used to check it every trip, it involved a left swipe and then an up/down swipe to find what you wanted. Now it is all there after 2 clicks, one of which at the bottom right doesn't need looking at to use.

I accept that many here are not happy with so much change, and of course traditional cars don't change in the same way, but as has been said, Ellon has a disruptive business model.

What saddens me is how many people jump to the keyboard to complain when they haven't really spent much time looking to see how the reorganised controls really function. So the light box appears when you pull/push the "dip switch: makes sense to me. The automatic seat heaters appear to work well, both need a little "digging".

With such a major change I do think Tesla should have made a comprehensive "What's new and What's Changed" online guide. The release notes are useless.

A day on and I have revised my view from, "OK, but" to "I like it, but not perfect"!
Feel free to disagree!

Many of the changes have been made, it seems to me, to remove redundant information from the screen to minimise distractions whilst driving. For example, the tyre pressure screen: you shouldn't be watching it whilst driving as if there is a small loss of tyre pressure, 3 to 4 psi id pops up, as it always did. A number of comments have been made about the trip information: again it isn't something you need to watch whilst driving, the black/green bar is the best indicator of driving efficiency. The more it is green the few watts are being used. I used to check it every trip, it involved a left swipe and then an up/down swipe to find what you wanted. Now it is all there after 2 clicks, one of which at the bottom right doesn't need looking at to use.

I accept that many here are not happy with so much change, and of course traditional cars don't change in the same way, but as has been said, Ellon has a disruptive business model.

What saddens me is how many people jump to the keyboard to complain when they haven't really spent much time looking to see how the reorganised controls really function. So the light box appears when you pull/push the "dip switch: makes sense to me. The automatic seat heaters appear to work well, both need a little "digging".

With such a major change I do think Tesla should have made a comprehensive "What's new and What's Changed" online guide. The release notes are useless.
Peter you will like the Elon’s interview from what you’ve said here.

Found another idiocy. If you want to save your dashcam footage, you need to tap into the car menu, then try to tap the dashcam card. Ok, the card is bigger than the old top bar icon, but it’s now a further tap away. Last thing you need when you’re potentially flustered.

And, no, I’m not using “Save on honk”. Most times I want to save footage I don’t want to let everyone know about it.
I also don't like to honk but you have 10 minutes and i have always found that to be plenty of time to tap the horn.

I don’t mind those being consolidated under the car menu. But let us long press on any icon *anywhere* and have the option to pin it to the dock. Not just their selection of apps.