Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking official for most 75Ds!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been several posts here recently suggesting that they've been uncorked entirely OTA. It's true back when the upgrade was first announced, you had to go in and have it done in person.

Long and short of it is, if your VIN isn't on the list, your battery pack needs an updated pyrofuse to be uncorkable. This requires dropping the pack to replace, so Tesla's response to people asking has generally been "no".

However, at least one person in your situation (bought used car advertised as 4.2 0-60) fought and after some threats convinced them to do the right thing and make the necessary hardware changes to uncork it.

This thread is what you should be reading if you haven't already found it:
2016 75D - CPO with a major heart-wrenching issue

not OTA, but mine was done by a ranger in my garage.

Do rangers need sufficient access to wifi in order to perform the update? Have one coming out this week.
They use the internet connection from their laptop...so no they don't need wifi access but they do need a data connection which they take care of all of that. They will not need to connect to your wifi unless they have zero connection using their own equipment...ive used rangers 4 times over the years and they have never used my wifi or my work wifi

Reactions: dsnows
Great News!

Even though the Decatur Service Center told me no, I made an appointment. Initially they said the uncorking had already been done, but once I mentioned that I knew for a fact the performance was corked, and that on the forums people mentioned sometimes the updates didn't take, they agreed that the configuration may not have been completely done and sent a ranger out.

They got here and went ahead and uncorked it! I validated the performance is as expected and i'm so happy.

Thank you so much everyone!

Reactions: ucmndd
I recently bought a September 2016 75d (originally a 60d) (VIN 153937) and scheduled an appointment with my nearest Service Center. They kept it for 3 days...only to tell me that it was NOT eligible for uncorking at this time.

Before buying the car, I called Tesla & provided the VIN to confirm eligibility, but was told that nothing could be shared with me since I didn’t own the car yet. I then did a lot of research online (and reviewed that Google Sheets list) and felt comfortable that my car would be eligible...and once my Service Center appointment was accepted, I saw that as a good sign. According to the Service Center, they tried but couldn’t get it to “take” so they escalated it...but no dice. Not eligible at this time.

What a kick in the nuts.

I recently bought a September 2016 75d (originally a 60d) (VIN 153937) and scheduled an appointment with my nearest Service Center. They kept it for 3 days...only to tell me that it was NOT eligible for uncorking at this time.

Before buying the car, I called Tesla & provided the VIN to confirm eligibility, but was told that nothing could be shared with me since I didn’t own the car yet. I then did a lot of research online (and reviewed that Google Sheets list) and felt comfortable that my car would be eligible...and once my Service Center appointment was accepted, I saw that as a good sign. According to the Service Center, they tried but couldn’t get it to “take” so they escalated it...but no dice. Not eligible at this time.

What a kick in the nuts.
Welcome to Tesla!!!

• Funny
Reactions: caltechkid

What a kick in the nuts.

Although my story isn’t the same as yours (Tesla sold me my late 2016 75D as uncorked, but it actually hadn’t been, and I had to jump through hoops to make them uncork it), one lesson I would take is to keep trying, maybe with a different service center.

Reactions: Amstel44

What a kick in the nuts.

September is a fairly early example... it's not incredibly surprising that it might not have the updated pyrofuse necessary to uncork.

September is a fairly early example... it's not incredibly surprising that it might not have the updated pyrofuse necessary to uncork.
Nah, mine’s a June ‘16, uncorked. It’s been awhile since I went through all that nonsense, but I recall rule of thumb being if you had dual motors and a facelift you were good.

I confirmed with Fremont that mine was eligible, via phone and then email, as I didn’t care for the extra range or to pay for it. Brought the car for the service and was told later in the day it was ineligible. Proceeded to show them the email from Fremont confirming eligibility, with guy’s contact info and credentials. Service was perplexed and told me they literally could not do it without some sort of green light from the Fremont mothership. Then a week later was called asking to bring it in as they were finally all on the same page.

All that’s to say, be persistent.

Even the Service Center rep seemed confused as to why it didn’t work bc everything in their records indicated that it would, but they escalated to “Engineering” and they said ineligible.

They did replace the recalled passenger airbag, but I just noticed that my airbag light is now on.

AND I just noticed new scratches on my otherwise immaculate leather seats.

With the ~$40k budget I was allowing myself, I should’ve just bought a ‘21 Model 3 SR as I originally planned...before I came across this sexy Model S at the last minute, giving me uncorked 4.2 second pipe dreams.

I’ll try another SC and see if they can glue & duct tape my broken dreams back together.

Welcome to Tesla!!!

I have a service appt scheduled for next week. It's mainly for MCU2 + radio upgrade, but i tossed an Uncorking Request in there as well. I had been told my car was ineligible during a prior service visit. I'm going to the same Service Center again, so we'll see what they say, as well as if I can dig into why my car is ineligible. I have a December 2016 75D (may have been a 60D originally, but can't seem to confirm)

I’ll try another SC and see if they can glue & duct tape my broken dreams back together.

While this is a crappy situation and it sucks that Tesla can’t give you a straight answer, try not to let it detract from how awesome the car is and how much better it looks then a model 3, IMO.

I upgraded from an older rwd 85 that did 0-60 in 5.5 seconds to an uncorked 75D that does it in 4.2. Well, it turns out I basically drive like a normal person and don’t actually ever need the extra power. I think I floored my car once from a light getting on to the freeway just to feel it and said “oh yeah, that IS a little faster” but outside of that, 0-60 in ~5 seconds is still faster then most ICE cars and plenty fast for spirited driving around town. Enjoy your car.

Reactions: BartJ and Amstel44
I've been told Tesla is no longer doing it on their used inventory from a Tesla Sales rep (though not the most reliable of sources...) If that's true I assume it's a tactic to preserve the battery and drive units from breaking within the 8 year warranty... or possibly to draw people to higher performance models...

I have a service appt scheduled for next week. It's mainly for MCU2 + radio upgrade, but i tossed an Uncorking Request in there as well. I had been told my car was ineligible during a prior service visit. I'm going to the same Service Center again, so we'll see what they say, as well as if I can dig into why my car is ineligible. I have a December 2016 75D (may have been a 60D originally, but can't seem to confirm)

Did you have any luck?

I have a Remote Service appointment in the morning to address my airbag light. Meanwhile, I asked another SC if they could uncork me, and they responded saying they added this request to my existing mobile appointment. In looking at the Service Estimate just now, the uncorking is noted as “Correction: Remote - Education”. I assume this means they’re going to educate me on the fact that my car is ineligible. We’ll see.

• Funny
Reactions: BartJ
Did you have any luck?

I have a Remote Service appointment in the morning to address my airbag light. Meanwhile, I asked another SC if they could uncork me, and they responded saying they added this request to my existing mobile appointment. In looking at the Service Estimate just now, the uncorking is noted as “Correction: Remote - Education”. I assume this means they’re going to educate me on the fact that my car is ineligible. We’ll see.
Not really, I actually had to delay my appointment by a week due to the MCU2 parts not being there yet. Supposedly the parts are scheduled to arrive on 02/09, so i moved my appointment to that day. I didn't see the uncorking on my service estimate, but I called the Service Center and the adviser said he sees something in "the notes" (whatever that is) to see if my car could be uncorked.

I also tried to reach out to online support chat, once through the "Questions about upcoming service appointment" route, and then again through "software/firmware questions". The first rep told me "the service centers can check for you", and the second rep told me "your car got the Performance Upgrade in February 2018". I bought my car used in December, so I have no real way of verifying the performance upgrade, other than timing my own 0-60 (busy schedule). But I can definitely feel the difference in pull versus the loaner 75Ds I had during past service visits

Remote Service tech tried to uncork my Sept ‘16 75d (formerly 60d) (VIN 153xxx) but couldn’t (something to do with the battery pack). As far as I can tell, there was some manufacturing deviation during some window where eligibility for uncorking could’ve changed from week to week based on supply chains or whatever. I guess I’ll close the book on this.