Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update: Model X has a single charger, but only 48A capable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharging is the answer to this dilemma ... take a look a the additional locations planned for 2016.

2015.PNG
2016.PNG
Supercharge.PNG
Supercharger.PNG

Supercharging is the answer to this dilemma ... take a look a the additional locations planned for 2016.

I suspect that's their assumption - that charging on the road is done via supecharger and the only AC charging needed is at home overnight.

But let's be realistic - the 2014 picture looked like this as well, then as 2015 arrived a lot of dots disappeared. I'm still treating the 2016 picture as a wish-list, just like the 2014 map which never came anywhere close to fruition. I still can't get anyone at Tesla to agree that the I-24 corridor is necessary for midwest vacations to Florida, much less agree to increase density of the Superchargers. The entire mid-South still has nothing, yet it's been on the maps.

If they showed a sign that the supercharger picture was half-ass realistic, then I might be more comfortable with that message.

Here is another reason the current (amps) limitation matters.

ce07cda93075a62fd64a7bcd8c5d4ac5.jpg

Many EVSEs at commercial installations are using two phases from a three phase source. The result is instead of 240V, you get 208V. But the car is current limited, not power limited, so you'll get 208V and 48A on the X. I'm plugged into a 14-50 right now that is delivering 208V. Net result is 24 mi/hr on an S.

Edit: and that's rated. In the winter, that's closer to 19 mi/hr.

My work is 199-200. 208 would be a welcome surprise!

Left this morning with a 100% charge- 246 rated. Drove to Baltimore and back, and played taxi to my kids going to various Halloween events. Date night.. Picked one kid up, and drove back home. I picked up 9 miles on a 14-50 in there, and I've got 30 miles left. I'm charging tonight at 75A.

It happens.

I suspect that's their assumption - that charging on the road is done via supecharger and the only AC charging needed is at home overnight.

But let's be realistic - the 2014 picture looked like this as well, then as 2015 arrived a lot of dots disappeared. I'm still treating the 2016 picture as a wish-list, just like the 2014 map which never came anywhere close to fruition. I still can't get anyone at Tesla to agree that the I-24 corridor is necessary for midwest vacations to Florida, much less agree to increase density of the Superchargers. The entire mid-South still has nothing, yet it's been on the maps.

If they showed a sign that the supercharger picture was half-ass realistic, then I might be more comfortable with that message.

This is what I fear. I thought destination charging would save those of us outside of the SC dense parts of the USA but I not holding out hope there.

Everything I've seen indicates that Tesla is responsive to customer range anxiety so I have more hope that this limitation will be addressed soon.

I think that we fail to realize that by driving an all electric car there will be some compromises that we need to make. There are so many positives that in my mind override the negatives. Just keep this in mind when you make your decision to buy a BEV, I purchased the Model S without knowing how many superchargers would be built and there where not many when I purchased. This does not mean that I discount the complaints about no dual chargers in the Model X, but you will never please everyone.
Seems that Tesla chose to compromise frunk space and AC charging capability for a true HEPA air filtration system. I would have chose to have the former rather than the latter.

Seems that Tesla chose to compromise frunk space and AC charging capability for a true HEPA air filtration system. I would have chose to have the former rather than the latter.
In the S both 10kW chargers are located under the rear seats, not in the front ahead of the dash where the huge X air filter is. I would think there would be space in the X for two chargers, but I'm only guessing. .

Last edited:
or now, a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter can help as it did for me in Albuquerque and OKC before Superchargers came online. This situation will continue to be fluid, changing monthly as new stations come on line. When Tesla Motors offers a CCS (Combined Charging Standard or J1772 Combo) adapter, we can connect to DC stations that do not have a CHAdeMO option. Many stations offer both or all three: terra-53-cjg-dc-charging-station-web82442be4c1f463c09537ff0000433538.jpg

I will invest in a CHAdeMO adapter (and in fact have one for my S) -- that's not the point. CHAdeMO isn't going to appear in your home or at a destination. Create bottlenecks in charging isn't a solution for the future. I work in an environment with a lot of EVs. So perhaps I'm a little biased, but I can see the issue that we'll be facing elsewhere and it's not pretty. Efficient, high-speed charging is a necessity.

- - - Updated - - -

Supercharging is intended for free, long-distance travel at major points of thoroughfare -- it's not a substitute for charging infrastructure. As I have said before, this will be an issue later in the future. I'm already living it.

- - - Updated - - -

The dilemma of 40/80 makes this thread one of the most interesting at TMC. Every purchaser of Model S gets only 40 from the factory and must wait a month to schedule an upgrade to 80. Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters Dual Charger with Installation

My S came with dual chargers from the factory. They were removed from the configurator, but they can be configured.

Last edited:
My 85D, which is "in transit from the factory" will be delivered with dual chargers, either this week or next (depending on my travel schedule).

Did you configure it that way on the web site, or did you have to ask your DS to have the service center install it as part of delivery prep? Was the price of it included in your Mulroney sticker, or will it be invoiced as a Tesla service item?

(Probably heading too far off-topic... I think the less important question is how does it compare to Model S, when the real question that's being debated is 'what is needed for charging'? It seems as if Tesla may be placing more emphasis on supercharging for anything other than overnight charging at home or a destination.)

My 85D will be delivered with dual chargers.

You mean your Service Center will install the second charger before delivering it to you? I thought dual chargers don't get done at the factory as quoted below:

"The parts will be shipped to the customer’s nearest Tesla Service Center from our Distribution Center. Your Service Center will contact you to arrange the installation once it has been received. We are unable to guarantee installation prior to taking delivery of your Model S"

Even with a more robust supercharger infrastructure (per the 2016 map), I think it's unfair to suggest that destination charging is somehow not as important. I've traveled and stayed at hotels near Superchargers and this is convenient. However, most hotels are not remotely close to a Supercharger. When you are staying overnight with the intention of hitting the road in the morning, you'd like to wake to a full charge. Having to drive, stop, and charge is not nearly as convenient.

Maybe Tesla believes that, since they provide free HPWC hardware, destinations will just scale up their installations. I would argue that they don't have a lot of incentive to do so. Being able to say they have one or two Tesla chargers is enough to entice customers - there's a return there. But until it becomes very overwhelmed, I don't think there's much reason to add more.

Since we know that Elon's X has a 72A charger in it, I'm going to hold out hope for the return of more reasonable onboard charging.

View attachment 99694View attachment 99693View attachment 99692View attachment 99691
You really believe this map?

As for the range tool you copied from the web site, did you notice it doesn't include highway speeds that are common in much of the country between the coasts? In Texas a speed limit of 80 mph is common on interstates and we have one highway near me with 85 mph speed limit. This is California-centric thinking again.

Last edited:
Who is @MTebbe on the Tesla Motors forum and how do we know that he/she has an X? I read through that thread and it doesn't seem to offer any clearer answer than this TMC thread does.
This is really getting confusing. Tesla needs to publish a clear and complete set of X specs. It is now over a month since the launch event.

Since Mark has posted pics standing next to his new Founder's X, I'm good with his opinion. I believe this thread should be retitled (and should have been titled as speculation from the start).