Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update to the Supercharger network policies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nonsense. Your logic is deeply flawed and your post sounds like a childish rant ... :cool:
Charging is still free for life if purchased before 2017 ... otherwise you pay. Simple really :rolleyes:
Except you missed the point where Elon Musk said in 2012 "Free for Life" with no deadline restrictions at all!
To me this is a real turn off for future Tesla owners!

I am disgusted with Tesla's about face and I fear they could go bankrupt over this.

Wow, you really need to calm down. You're just a little over-dramatic. There's no need to worry. Tesla is not going anywhere over restrictions on supercharging for vehicles ordered after Jan 1, 2017. The only thing that would hinder Tesla's future is free for life supercharging for future vehicles, if we really want to keep long distance travel a reality, as Tesla continues to pump out vehicle after vehicle. That wasn't sustainable and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out (Elon pun intended.)

As an aside, I won't ask for you a link where you allege Elon said:

Elon Musk said in 2012 "Free for Life" with no deadline restrictions at all!

Because we all know you just pulled that one out of your... ;)

Reactions: Falkirk
Except you missed the point where Elon Musk said in 2012 "Free for Life" with no deadline restrictions at all!
To me this is a real turn off for future Tesla owners!
There's no new deadline restriction here either, it's free for life for your vehicle if you ordered it in 2012. It's just that policy doesn't apply to vehicles after 2017. No promises were broken.

Elon didn't promise the policy would apply to all vehicles Tesla will ever make since the Model S (that was not true even back then, for example the S40 never had supercharging, and S60 had it as an option).

T .....why in hell would you complain about refueling it for a third of what gasoline cost for an ICE? .......
Hotel destination chargers should become far more common as a magnet for attracting BEV owners. Restaurants are also wise to install charging hookups, where a customer can spend one hour for lunch or dinner and walk out to his/her Tesla that now has another 30 more miles or so of range........
remember when some CostCo/PriceClub had magnachargers for EV's a long time ago? we also have grocery stores with complimentary charging for shoppers (6kW max)

Yes, this will come back to haunt Tesla as basically, they lied to us by saying "Free for Life" Supercharging.
To say I am livid is an understatement even though I already have a legacy car. I'm concerned that future buyers are going to go elsewhere.
One of the main temptations to buying a Tesla was Elon saying free for life! Now they've changed that.
Double dipping is what I call it as the high cost of the car incorporates the SC network as we were told.
I am disgusted with Tesla's about face and I fear they could go bankrupt over this.
I can see the model 3 users having to pay because the car is a third the price of a Model S.
Tesla will have to recant this statement before it's too late. You can't double Dip Elon!
It was wrong of you to change your mind about charging after you kept emphatically saying "Free for Life"!
This is wrong what you are doing!
Yes I know it will curb SC abuse but so what? You promised free for life and I expect "Free for Life' at least on the S and X.
Double dipping is no way to go!

Your comments about "double dipping" imply that you really don't understand how the free market works. Tesla (and all companies) price their goods based on what the market will bear. The offer it up... "Here's the product with XX features and benefits". Consumers always have the final say and can either buy or not buy. If we think that the S/X is too expensive, we can let them know by buying something else.

Tesla won't recant this statement. They need the superchargers to be financially self-funding so that they don't become an increasing draw on the company, and so that network can continue to expand. It makes 100% sense. Someday, down the road, I also expect that Tesla will completely cut the SCs free - selling them off to the utilities. But they won't do that until the EV market and charging service market is much more mature.

And Elon never said "Free for life for everybody who ever owns a Tesla". Certainly most of us expected this to happen at some point.

"Free for the life of the Model S". All warranted products offered by companies have an expiration date for their warranties (unless they offer a FOREVER warranty....like Cutco knives for example). Lifetime means the lifetime of the product as determined by the manufacturer.
At some point in time, 2016 and prior Model S/X owners WILL eventually have free Supercharging end. Probably some time after the Gen 2 Model S is released.

Also, has anyone confirmed for sure whether people buying used 2012-2016 Teslas will receive the "lifetime" free SC benefit current owners enjoy?

MP3Mike said
Highly unlikely. As that would create a weird car that was purchased prior to the cut-off date but still didn't have the unlimited charging. If they did I would hope that they charge a transfer fee. (Like maybe $5,000, but it may be unnecessary if they offer an option/package that contains unlimited Supercharging.)

How often do you Supercharge? How much over the 400kWhs/year do you think you will use?

In my first year of ownership, I have have driven more than 25K miles. I would guess that ~18K of that is long-distance driving. I believe I have used destination charging only twice, so most of the 18K is on the SC network.

I hope to do more road trips in future years.:)

Last edited:
No, Elon said free for life, and he didn't imply just current owners.
At this point I think you're just being deliberately obtuse. I won't use the "t" word. If you buy the product that he was referring to and was available for sale when he said it, then supercharging is free for the life of that product. If you want to take advantage of that offer, you need to buy the product when the offer is made. It doesn't mean the offer can't be changed in the future for future purchasers, and it doesn't mean that every product ever made by Tesla in the future would have free supercharging for life. How could you think anyone would make a promise about the pricing of products that hadn't even been developed yet?

When chargers are located in convenient areas, ICE vehicles are way more likely to use them.

Solution: ICE VEHICLES WILL BE TOWED AWAY AT OWNER'S EXPENSE

BTW, some BEV owners are also disabled so the space would solve that problem as well. The Oxnard SC is located on the far edge of the shopping center. We had to walk about 1,000 feet to the Whole Foods store. Not a big deal for me but I could see this might challenge people with walking disabilities. The local Walmart has just installed four Chargepoint chargers adjacent to disabled parking very near the front doors. Granted, they're probably getting a "piece of the action".

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Anyone who already bought the car is getting free supercharging for the life of the car as promised and expected and you still have 1.5 months to get that deal. Seems like a sweet deal to jump on to me, and seems like Elon and Tesla are giving consumers who care enough notice to act.

So stop whining

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
To be honest, I'm hoping for a "Supercharger access for life" option. I knew from the get-go that I was likely going to have to pay extra for it on the Model 3.

For me, a $2000 surcharge would be worth about 190 "fill ups" of a hypothetical 75KWh battery (I pay a hair under $0.14/KWh). Assuming a range more like 250 miles on a theoretical bigger battery, that's 47,500 miles of driving - and I know it's more than that because I'm being deliberately conservative (a 75KWh battery should have closer to 300 miles of range on the smaller Model 3).

I suppose it really depends on how much the per-KWh charge for Supercharging is going to be..