Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US Federal $7,500 Electric Vehicle Credit Expiry Date By Automaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be surprised if they delivered more than a handful of base Model 3's by Dec 31, and I would be even more surprised if those vehicles didn't go to Employees.
...and I'll be floored if they sell any without the $5K PUP. Modifying production to allow metal roofs is a lot of work, and interruption of production, to lower revenue per vehicle.

Reactions: Zoomit and bhzmark
...and I'll be floored if they sell any without the $5K PUP. Modifying production to allow metal roofs is a lot of work, and interruption of production, to lower revenue per vehicle.

Yeah, much like the RWD, I would imagine they will force PUP initially. Which is what I want! $40,000 is still a screaming deal. I will add EAP and MSM to bring it to $46,000 but hopefully I can get mine before the $3750 phases out.

One point of data for California: I purchased a new car (not Tesla) from a California dealer on Nov. 30, 2016, and drove it off the lot that day. My title has an issue date of Dec. 17, 2016 but the title states that my registration renewal date is Dec. 2, 2017. I received the paper title document in mid-January 2017.
THAT clears things up! :p

I also love how insideevs posted so strongly that Tesla hit 200,000 in June and has very very subtly changed it to show the current status without acknowledging the mistake.

Tesla Confirms 200,000 Cars Sold In U.S. Tax Phaseout Triggered

***UPDATE: Via it’s EV Incentive page, Tesla has confirmed the selling of its 200,000th vehicle in the U.S. Tesla has updated its phaseout chart to depict this. Here’s the chart as it stands now:

but then they keep the link to thier bad article right below

But when a particular manufacturer sells 200,000 units, like we believe Tesla already has, the full amount will be available through the end of that quarter and for the following quarter.

click on that and you still get the erroneous

UPDATE – Why We Believe Tesla Passed 200k U.S. Deliveries In June

which needs an updated update to acknowledge the new status and correct their error.

Time for @FlatSix911 to eat some crow. After giving me so many dislikes and funny ratings for putting clear logical facts in posts.
Oh, did he? Huh.

I'd completely forgotten about that and had passed on the great news to him via PM this morning that the Tax Credit for Teslas are going to be in effect until the end of the year, in case he missed it on the board here.

Last edited:
Oh, did he? Huh.

I'd completely forgotten about that and had passed on the great news to him this morning that the Tax Credit for Teslas was going to be in effect until the end of the year, in case he missed it on the board here.

He did the same to me, even calling "funny" a picture I took of over 500 Model 3s in a Bay Area parking lot in late June. That crow is worthy of 11 herbs and spices.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
And how big difference is it that Tesla write out on there website that it will have full tax credit until the end of 2018 and that a spokesperson mail it to a webiste?
Well of course it's not officially official until Elon himself reTweets Electrek's article recapping the Tesla.com page image.

My tax accountant's cat's vet told him.

And how big difference is it that Tesla write out on there website that it will have full tax credit until the end of 2018 and that a spokesperson mail it to a webiste?
The person I responded to stated that article was based on the incentive page, and I just showed that it is also based on a spokesperson's statement. So there are two pieces of information that confirm, not just one.

And that page is not a "statement" by Tesla. It still has some mealy-mouthed lawyer-esque talk, namely: "Incentive programs are offered and administered by government agencies. Eligibility and availability vary and are outside of Tesla’s control". Whether that statement is about the state incentives or includes the federal incentives is not immediately clear.

So having two sources is better than just having the one.

Yeah, much like the RWD, I would imagine they will force PUP initially. Which is what I want! $40,000 is still a screaming deal. I will add EAP and MSM to bring it to $46,000 but hopefully I can get mine before the $3750 phases out.
That's the exact same config I'm waiting on! Hopefully production continues to ramp up and they're in the neighborhood of 10K a week by early next year, if that's the case then we should be fine for at least the 1/2 credit.

Specifically they say:

FINAL UPDATE 7/12/2018: Tesla never gave us an answer either way, however there is good news. In our follow up post we came to the conclusion that it was likely Tesla passed 200k deliveries but that due to IRS rules, they may not have passed the 200k threshold for tax credit purposes. Now Tesla has posted on their U.S. Website that the tax rebate will be available through the end of December! Why We Believe Tesla Passed 200k U.S. Deliveries in June

I agree that is likely how it happened. Some June deliveries were properly applied to July for tax credit purposes.

I also love how insideevs posted so strongly that Tesla hit 200,000 in June and has very very subtly changed it to show the current status without acknowledging the mistake.

Tesla Confirms 200,000 Cars Sold In U.S. Tax Phaseout Triggered

but then they keep the link to thier bad article right below

click on that and you still get the erroneous

which needs an updated update to acknowledge the new status and correct their error.