Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 Supercharger Revealed 250kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering what the technical difference is that permits this? I would have thought that a larger diameter cell would have more difficulty cooling, but apparently not. Maybe a chemistry difference, but if there were such a difference, there's no reason that the 18650s couldn't take a different chemistry.

For all practical purposes this won't make a difference for a while. It's going to be a long time until we see a bunch of these V3 stations out there, and so it will make no difference to most travel that we do. Further, a 20 stall V3 station will require a 20MW feed! That's a pretty substantial substation, and they will have be in a location where local power distribution can support it. Because of load sharing and the lower output, the V2 twenty stall station only requires 5MW - which is far more reasonable.

In any case, this is going to lead to a LOT of pressure on Tesla to improve the batteries on the S/X. Saying we can get 145 kw is not going to make anybody happy. I really really hope that they deal with this on March 14th.

While this isn't the most amazing news that improves every Tesla directly, it has a lot of indirect advantages. Faster charging times for x% of the population should translate to more stalls available; that also goes for the battery pre-warming as a number of folks roll into Supercharging stalls with "cold" batteries (and wasting potential charging time for everyone). I just hope there will be next-gen battery upgrade available for some of the older Model S owners in the future (though I'm not holding my breath).

I also doubt that it would make financial sense. You'd likely be better off to sell and buy new, rather than paying $25K for a new battery.

Reactions: Ulmo
Your math is wrong....1000 mph charging on a ~200 watt/mi m3 is a different scale than a 330 watt/mi MS. You have to look at raw KW only, which is 250 kW vs 120 kW (so 2x), they pretty much doubled the supercharger cabinet supply capacity only (and liquid cooled cables), and they're enabling pre-heating which is half the improvement alone. So it's not hard to fathom.
No it's not. I was quoting energy not range.

My 75 pack would take a 96kW max charge rate when it was new. 250kW/96kW = 2.6x

This is ridiculous that a car that is half the cost gets way better charging. They just killed their luxury line. Even though I don’t like the 3 nearly as much as the S, I am thinking about downgrading cars to get better long range travel.
Next battery refresh in S and X will have the new chemistry. The form factor of the cells doesn't matter unless they are so large that there is a heat problem. Much of the difference in current cars will be done through a software update.

I think tesla should offer some kind of battery replacement program for S/X For a fee of course. They could use the old packs for power walls since they do not require extremely fast charging.

The flagship cars are now severely lacking compared to the 3.

I think there's more to it than just the battery. I believe that the buswork behind the charge port will not support 250kw either. It's possible that that could be changed too, but we don't know how complex that would be. And then there's the cooling system - which may not be up to the task either.

I seriously doubt that we will ever see a retrofit that would allow 250kw charging.

They announced one "innovation".. heating the battery up en route to your Supercharger session, which I have been praying for for some time. Ironic being kind of the opposite of a cooling innovation.
Very true. That would have helped me a great deal my last trip. Didn't realize how much a cold battery would slow charging until I experienced it myself...

Guess it's really temp management "innovation" on both sides. Battery likes to live in a specific temp zone - kinda needs the like baby bears porridge..

Reactions: Ulmo and Galve2000
This is ridiculous that a car that is half the cost gets way better charging. They just killed their luxury line. Even though I don’t like the 3 nearly as much as the S, I am thinking about downgrading cars to get better long range travel.

This is precisely why Tesla is different. If Tesla operates like other automotive manufacturer, then customer without $100K+ will never get access to the newest technology or best interior. If you look at BMW, at every trim level, there is a difference in hp/fuel efficiency/interior/functions/exterior styling offering.

Tesla is much more simple, it is primarily on HP/Range. This doesn't apply to Model 3 yet, but Model S 75 can have the same interior trim as a P100D. A second area that is unique to Tesla is, if you want the newest tech, buy the NEWEST car not the most expensive model. This of course does not have the support of the wealthy and capable but hey, 99% of the people do not fit in that category.

This is precisely why Tesla is different. If Tesla operates like other automotive manufacturer, then customer without $100K+ will never get access to the newest technology or best interior. If you look at BMW, at every trim level, there is a difference in hp/fuel efficiency/interior/functions/exterior styling offering.

Tesla is much more simple, it is primarily on HP/Range. This doesn't apply to Model 3 yet, but Model S 75 can have the same interior trim as a P100D. A second area that is unique to Tesla is, if you want the newest tech, buy the NEWEST car not the most expensive model. This of course does not have the support of the wealthy and capable but hey, 99% of the people do not fit in that category.
Of course sometimes the most expensive Tesla does have the latest tech. It just didn't happen this time. All Tesla models will likely play leapfrog with each other as refreshes and introductions happen (excludes semi which is a wildly different category).

......looks like they can put ~500A into the car at the same voltage, so ideally we'd potentially see a max of 150 kW charging rate. That's assuming the car can even handle that much amperage, and the voltage of the newer car batteries are still ~400V.

"We will increase Model S and X charging speeds via software updates in the coming months."
"Additionally, we are also unlocking 145kW charge rates for our 12,000+ V2 Superchargers over the coming weeks."

My guess is, as they are unlocking the 145kW rate on the V2s, the S + X batteries may have been designed to tolerate just that.

But is that a good thing? If the degradation increases on your battery by another 2% per year by supercharging at 140-150 kW vs. the max I get which is 110 (for a short time period if SOC <20%), would you want this?

• Love
Reactions: outdoors
While 3 owners might get much faster charging, S/X owners will benefit even if the charging rate is only slightly improved, by eliminating shared chargers and reducing the charging time for the much higher volume Model 3's.

Since Tesla had been talking about the V3 superchargers before the 100 packs were put into production, there was some hope Tesla had included a few design changes in the newer 100 packs that would be able to take at least some advantage of the V3 superchargers, without shifting to the newer 3 pack design with the 2170 batteries.

While 3 owners might get much faster charging, S/X owners will benefit even if the charging rate is only slightly improved, by eliminating shared chargers and reducing the charging time for the much higher volume Model 3's.

So true, as my last Supercharge experience in my 75D was I arrived super empty(on purpose) with TM3s already there. I left before them with 195 miles of range. SO if they can leave quicker, that leaves more spaces for our older tech cars.

Reactions: Ulmo
Looks like they have kept the existing Tesla plug in NA. I wonder if they can push 145kW in the EU plug too. Does anyone have information on that?

When I first saw the Model 3 on SC v3, I immediately thought: “I must trade my S 100D for it”. Then I realized that it will be a long time until v3 sites are brought up on the trans-european route that I take 3-4 times a year.

Reactions: Ulmo and shellderp