Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same issue. Does anyone know if the new software update for the cold weather changes for the Model 3 fixes this issue as well?
Running the latest version (44.2) and still having the issue. Hopefully 46.1 which was just spotted on teslafi will have a fix . Some days I have 0 issues and other days it cuts every 2 minutes. Although for some reason it seems if I actually open my Spotify app on my phone (rather than letting it automatically play when entering the car through Bluetooth) it does not happen. Could just be a coincidence though.

The issue with the audio crackle and then cut-out has happened to me a few times since 39.7. It occurred while I was streaming bluetooth audio from my phone and I had assumed that was the extent of the issue (even thinking it might have been a phone issue). I'm now on 42.2 and this morning the entire audio stack went into the weeds. Started with streaming from my phone but I then realized,
1. Turn signal wasn't making any noise
2. Pressing the voice command button kept failing (and there was no 'beep' to prompt me to begin speaking). So this prevented me from filing a bug report. I also checked to confirm I had a good cell signal in the car
3. FM radio and slacker streaming weren't just silent; pressing on the FM or streaming station icons actually didn't seem to do anything
4. I always get proximity alerts pulling into my parking garage and these didn't sound.

Once I had parked, I walked around my car to retrieve something from the passenger side. As soon as I opened the door, the radio started blaring.

Are all of these things failing for everyone else having the issue?[/QUOTE]

I've had this exact thing happen 3 days in a row last week. My car is parked in a garage at home and when I left in the morning no issue. But when I left work, and these 3 days were extremely cold here, it had no sound at all and exhibited all of the symptoms you listed. Double button reset did not work. It would start working again after getting out and getting back in. This was on 42.2, I'm now running 44.2 and have not had it happen since, but it also hasn't been as cold either, but after reading here I see people in much warmer climates are having the same issue, so much for that line of thinking. Have a service appt to get my stuck frunk fixed later this week, guess I'll complain to the service center and see what this one says.

I have a software update pending (finally :D) so I'll trigger it tonight. One other thing I've noticed is that even if the audio doesn't cut out, I still get random crackling once in a while and sometimes it even seems like the audio shifts to one side/speaker. Weird.

Once I had parked, I walked around my car to retrieve something from the passenger side. As soon as I opened the door, the radio started blaring.

Are all of these things failing for everyone else having the issue?

I've had this exact thing happen 3 days in a row last week. My car is parked in a garage at home and when I left in the morning no issue. But when I left work, and these 3 days were extremely cold here, it had no sound at all and exhibited all of the symptoms you listed. Double button reset did not work. It would start working again after getting out and getting back in. This was on 42.2, I'm now running 44.2 and have not had it happen since, but it also hasn't been as cold either, but after reading here I see people in much warmer climates are having the same issue, so much for that line of thinking. Have a service appt to get my stuck frunk fixed later this week, guess I'll complain to the service center and see what this one says.[/QUOTE]

Well spoke too soon. Had it happen again several times yesterday, even after letting the car sit for a while after getting out. Also had it happen on my drive to work this morning. No sound what-so-ever and the Slacker player just showed no connection. Hoping they fix this soon as it is quite annoying not to be able to hear anything in the car.

My audio system continues to "fail to boot up" sometimes when I power up the car.

So, far, this has worked 100% to reset it:

#1: Pull over / stop / put car in park.
#2: Use the touch screen service menu to pick "power off" with foot off of the brake pedal.
#3: Push the brake pedal to power back on.
Now the audio works again, at least until I get out next time then I "roll the dice again" on if it gets stuck or not.

This is really getting old, and I hope some OTA update fixes this.
It doesn't seem like a hardware issue, but more that the car is failing to properly reset/reboot some audio system component when you get out of the car, then get back in later.

This has happened on my Model 3 once or twice since v9. Thought it was the bluetooth cutting out - but maybe not. Prior to v9 I experience what sounded like a single speaker cutting in/out like bad connection. I had scheduled service to check that out next week but that particular problem has gone away.

Drove 10k miles my 1st M3, and happened like gazillions times... last 3 months rate was 75% of time... ONLY way to solve is getting out of the car and locking unlocking starting a new session...

I found that it happens much more when I am playing from my phone last session... Pretty sure is a BT issue related to Phone Media... should be easy to solve, not sure why this bug been there since 2012 for some S and X folks...

My audio system continues to "fail to boot up" sometimes when I power up the car.

So, far, this has worked 100% to reset it:

#1: Pull over / stop / put car in park.
#2: Use the touch screen service menu to pick "power off" with foot off of the brake pedal.
#3: Push the brake pedal to power back on.
Now the audio works again, at least until I get out next time then I "roll the dice again" on if it gets stuck or not.

This is really getting old, and I hope some OTA update fixes this.
It doesn't seem like a hardware issue, but more that the car is failing to properly reset/reboot some audio system component when you get out of the car, then get back in later.

Nice, didnt try that, to me it worked when I got off car, lock it and unlock it again... well im 300miles brand new M3P, happened 1 time... will see if happens again will test this trick. Better than getting in and out... :)

But heard is an old bug.. since the S and X and I suspect is related to Phone Bluetooth...

I've had this exact thing happen 3 days in a row last week. My car is parked in a garage at home and when I left in the morning no issue. But when I left work, and these 3 days were extremely cold here, it had no sound at all and exhibited all of the symptoms you listed. Double button reset did not work. It would start working again after getting out and getting back in. This was on 42.2, I'm now running 44.2 and have not had it happen since, but it also hasn't been as cold either, but after reading here I see people in much warmer climates are having the same issue, so much for that line of thinking. Have a service appt to get my stuck frunk fixed later this week, guess I'll complain to the service center and see what this one says.

Well spoke too soon. Had it happen again several times yesterday, even after letting the car sit for a while after getting out. Also had it happen on my drive to work this morning. No sound what-so-ever and the Slacker player just showed no connection. Hoping they fix this soon as it is quite annoying not to be able to hear anything in the car.[/QUOTE]

Yep worked for me too getting in and out locking unlocking car... pretty sure is related to Phone Bluetooth.

I'd like to suggest that everyone having this issue go to Tesla.com and report the issue. Make sure you check the option for "Escalate this concern for executive review". So, tesla.com, login to your account, click "Manage" under your vehicle, then click "Ask a question". I just did that and pasted the link for this thread and one other related thread.
Thanks for this tip - I didn't know this existed.

I did that and one better - I called my local service center. I was a bit surprised when he asked exactly when it last happened so I told him. He put me on hold for a looooooooooong time - like half an hour, but he was able to pull the logs off my car for that timeframe and actually caught the bug. I didn't know Tesla could do that - that's totally awesome! So he said he'd escalate this with the logs but he still didn't have a clue what was causing it or what was involved to help avoid it. So I think this is a useful step, but more people have to do this - call your service center with the *exact* time it happened and if they can get enough logs of this then they may really be able to resolve it. The tech said this was a "trending" bug so they are trying to get it fixed.

any ideas on how to escalate this? imo this is starting to become a safety issue (no AP notifications that it is being disengaged for example)
I agree. Had the same problem in my MX. The intermittent radio/audio silence (no gps commands) happened to me the other day and the frequency was increasing on a short drive across town. By the time I Arrived at my destination my blinkers were not even working. as I was putting it park the entire system shut down/screen went black. Scary stuff. Walked back to my car about 5 minutes later and the self presenting doors didn’t work. Put foot on brake and car took a few moments to do anything. Eventually started up like it does after a reset.