Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicles blocking charging spots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow ... I didn't even know Toombul had car chargers! Are any of these Tesla Destination Chargers? At any rate ... no spare spots for EVs by the looks!!! They're so ignorant and rude!!! Pity the Centres don't do anything about the problem.
There are three 22kw Tesla units, two J1772, two 350kw DC Chargefox and one 50 kw DC. The DC units are CHAdeMO and CCS2. For some reason they keep blocking the Tesla units.

Toombul is even worse. Has anyone done a design for a "relatively polite" note to stick on these things?

IH.png

I just sent this to vicroads. I don't even have my EV yet, but I'm already annoyed by chargers being blocked. I'll update here if/when I get a response.

"Is there any rule currently in place or under consideration to prevent combustion-engine vehicles from parking in designated electric vehicle charging bays? If not, how can I raise this to be looked at?

As more and more EV chargers are being installed in public parking areas (e.g. shopping centre carparks) and EV adoption is accelerating, non-charging vehicles blocking EV chargers is an increasing problem. This can be likened to a vehicle blocking a petrol bowser without filling up."

I just sent this to vicroads. I don't even have my EV yet, but I'm already annoyed by chargers being blocked. I'll update here if/when I get a response.

"Is there any rule currently in place or under consideration to prevent combustion-engine vehicles from parking in designated electric vehicle charging bays? If not, how can I raise this to be looked at?

As more and more EV chargers are being installed in public parking areas (e.g. shopping centre carparks) and EV adoption is accelerating, non-charging vehicles blocking EV chargers is an increasing problem. This can be likened to a vehicle blocking a petrol bowser without filling up."
Thanks. I’ll watch for what happens and then see what NSW RMS has to say.

In Queensland, I believe there there is an on the spot ticket simply "parking contrary to signs".

Reactions: Momentum1
Parramatta Westfield has these signs blocking the spaces, not sure who provided them but given they don’t mention Westfield I guess it may have been an EV owner. The charges are from BMW.

View attachment 458071
View attachment 458072

Now that’s a much better arrangement than most shopping centres. It won’t deter all the ICEholes but I think it will mostly succeed and it’s certainly way better than leaving the bays completely open.

Sadly with most shopping places not caring about enforcing the EV parking I think all of us as a community need to start taking matters in our hands and creating such signs etc. In fact I think this is a great cause for the various Tesla Owner groups in Oz to start cooperating with the Westfields and the likes and start doing more of these.

Parramatta Westfield has these signs blocking the spaces, not sure who provided them but given they don’t mention Westfield I guess it may have been an EV owner. The charges are from BMW.

View attachment 458071
View attachment 458072
Hotel I frequent when traveling that uses cones. It's the main place I use the "summon" feature. I always leave positive feedback on the guest surveys about the charing & cones.

Toombul is even worse. Has anyone done a design for a "relatively polite" note to stick on these things?
View attachment 457370 View attachment 457371
Just make sure that the "polite note" is at least A3 is size, made of the flimsiest paper ever created backed with the strongest glue known to mankind. Slap it on the windscreen and move on with your day. No damage done to the car, but the message is sure to be received loud and clear.

While this is meant as a joke, surely we can think of something similar that will work?

I think it takes a much more brazen person to remove a cone and still park there. Ultimately though, I think it needs to be taken in stride and honestly a confrontation is not worth it to me. All one needs to do is remember the terrible case of a surgeon Dr. Pritzwald-Stegmann in Melbourne who got fatally punched for asking someone not to smoke.

Reactions: brkaus
I was at Sunshine Plaza today and there were two Model 3's parked but not charging. One was plugged in but not at the correct charger (only last two there have the new connectors on them) so wasn't charging and other one was not plugged in at all (but again not at correct charger so I couldn't be helpful and plug it in for them!). Just out of curiosity does anyone know if the car that was plugged in could have been charged waiting fees (so even though it won't change with the old supercharger can Tesla get the car data to identify it if plugged in)? I noticed on app that it was showing 2 stalls in use (after I connected) so it seems it could "see" the M3 that was plugged in but not the one that wasn't.
IMG_20190929_135326.jpg

I was at Sunshine Plaza today and there were two Model 3's parked but not charging. One was plugged in but not at the correct charger (only last two there have the new connectors on them) so wasn't charging and other one was not plugged in at all (but again not at correct charger so I couldn't be helpful and plug it in for them!). Just out of curiosity does anyone know if the car that was plugged in could have been charged waiting fees (so even though it won't change with the old supercharger can Tesla get the car data to identify it if plugged in)? I noticed on app that it was showing 2 stalls in use (after I connected) so it seems it could "see" the M3 that was plugged in but not the one that wasn't. View attachment 460430
As a helpful citizen, you could take the cable, bring it up to the port and press the button to unlock the charger port and plug them in since they've clearly forgotten to do so. Since they're parked in the charger spot I'm sure they're expecting to be charged any charging and idle fees they may incur after you've helped them out ;)

Reactions: baillies
As a helpful citizen, you could take the cable, bring it up to the port and press the button to unlock the charger port and plug them in since they've clearly forgotten to do so
The charger they were at did not have the CCS charger for Model 3 so wouldn't have charged the car. Hopefully Tesla will upgrade all the chargers there soon so that we can be helpful in the future!

Reactions: baillies
Parramatta Westfield has these signs blocking the spaces, not sure who provided them but given they don’t mention Westfield I guess it may have been an EV owner. The charges are from BMW
You know what, wouldn’t it be funny if an EV owner purchased the bollards and made up the signs and plonked them all there themselves. Knowing the way large corporations work, any employee who saw it would just assume it was official and that someone else organized it, and think nothing more if it. It’s very unlikely any employee would actually invest the time and effort to prove the negative, i.e. that it’s not official and no-one in the company approved it.

The only way this trick would be “busted” would be if the actual employee with responsibility for making such a decision saw them and of course know that they didn’t approve it. What would be the odds of that happening?

Just make sure that the "polite note" is at least A3 is size, made of the flimsiest paper ever created backed with the strongest glue known to mankind. Slap it on the windscreen and move on with your day. No damage done to the car, but the message is sure to be received loud and clear
Well if it’s the strongest glue known to mankind (T-Rex) it will permanently damage the windscreen. Even sticking a normal sticker on a car is vandalism and make one liable to prosecution. I would not recommend it. A note under the wiper is all I’d do.

I recall in the old days (‘80s) that if you parked incorrectly in a shopping centre you could come back and find the car park operator has whacked a big sticker on the drivers side of the windscreen making it almost impossible to see out, and the stickers were really, really hard to remove. I know because it happened to me once. I’m sure that this practice was wiped out via the courts because it is vandalism and hence illegal.

Nice initiative. IMO, parking should be more like municipal jurisdiction. So you might like to try asking same question to your local council as well.