Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ver 7 Throttle Response - RWD Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, forum member slcuervo and I did some analysis that suggests the throttle mapping is exactly the same in 7.0 as under 6.2. See more:

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S - Page 99

He said there was no change to acceleration or power output according to his tests.

On my car at least, the throttle mapping is different enough that it lead to a multi-day period of adjustment as I learned the new mapping. I was coming up short for stops as the regen came on differently, and it took a while to adjust to the different acceleration as well. I'd agree that the acceleration and power output are the same -- you just put the pedal in a slightly different place to get there.

My original supposition was that the 0+/- kw point/section in the throttle travel was bigger but that was compensated for by a faster ramp to the extremes at the extremes of throttle travel (full down or full up/off). Pedal full down is still pedal full down (or full off is still full off, although the decel/regen map may be slightly modified there).

So it seems obvious to me that this is what is leading some to observe better efficiency in 7.0. Torque sleep is only a very small fraction of the efficiency gain. The vast majority of the gain being that the car is simply delivering less power at any given throttle state expect for the extremes.

So it seems obvious to me that this is what is leading some to observe better efficiency in 7.0. Torque sleep is only a very small fraction of the efficiency gain. The vast majority of the gain being that the car is simply delivering less power at any given throttle state expect for the extremes.

Right, but it also makes it smoother, allows smoother control at near zero speeds, and reduces drive line lash between accel and regen - likely reducing wear on the drive train and reducing Tesla warranty expense as well.

We will also save money due to less frequent tire replacement.

I honestly can't feel any difference with 7.0. It always was perfectly smooth and super easy to control at near zero. Mine is a pre AP classic RWD.
I had a loaner P85 with AP hardware and V7 installed and there was a big difference in throttle response. It needed far less push/travel on the pedal to start moving and power seemed to be mapped earlier. Kind of a more aggressive mapping. When I first got in my when it was new I noticed how much pedal travel I need to get full power. It really seem to use the entire pedal range. That has not changed with V7.

Several firmwares ago they definitely changed the mapping, though. Regen used to kick in quicker, now it comes with a smoother delay. Also, on my car with it's original firmware (March 2014) the throttle position represented a certain power. Pressing the pedal 30% gave me 40 kW. (I'm making these numbers up but you get the idea). At some point (with a firmware way before V7) they changed it to be progressive. Now when I press it 30%, the power increases with speed. Holding the pedal pressed at the exact same position, it is something like 30 kW at 20 mph and then creeps up to 50 kW at 50 mph.

I honestly can't feel any difference with 7.0. It always was perfectly smooth and super easy to control at near zero. Mine is a pre AP classic RWD.
I had a loaner P85 with AP hardware and V7 installed and there was a big difference in throttle response. It needed far less push/travel on the pedal to start moving and power seemed to be mapped earlier. Kind of a more aggressive mapping. When I first got in my when it was new I noticed how much pedal travel I need to get full power. It really seem to use the entire pedal range. That has not changed with V7.

Finally something that makes sense! My throttle response has always been super smooth and I've marveled at the fact that I can move the car inch by inch at slow speed. When I received an AP loaner a couple of months ago, I asked service whether there was something wrong with my car because the AP car seemed to have a much more aggressive acceleration whereas my car requires a larger push on the pedal to achieve the same results. I almost thought they gave me a non-P drive unit at my last swap!

Now this makes sense. It sounds like the AP cars have more aggressive throttles that have been "tamed" to perhaps match those of earlier vehicles?

Why would Tesla implement for two different throttle mappings? Makes no sense, IMO.

I see no reason to change the throttle response of my pre-AP P85. It's always been butter smooth at all speeds, including slow speeds, and I never had any issues switching from Reverse to Drive. That part of the software update confused me, but makes sense why I didn't receive it - doesn't need it. It seems only the newer cars have this issue with smoothness and acceleration "curve".

At very low speeds in my driveway (say about 1 foot per second) I used to get pulsing power and now I don't. I also can steady my foot in the zone of 0 accel / 0 regen where I always had the car hunting between accel and regen in the past. I may be getting better at modulating the throttle, but it isn't like I went to bed Friday with bad throttle control and woke up Saturday with version 7 and good throttle control because the throttle control fairy sprinkled pixie dust on me over night.

I continue to believe they made minor changes to smooth out the throttle mapping.

I almost thought they gave me a non-P drive unit at my last swap!

I know exactly what you mean. After driving the loaner with the more aggressive mapping and then got back into my car I felt like it had no power. My foot was just used to the different throttle response from the newer car.

Now this makes sense. It sounds like the AP cars have more aggressive throttles that have been "tamed" to perhaps match those of earlier vehicles?
Not sure why there is a difference. As I said, both cars where on V7, yet the newer car definitely had a more aggressive throttle. It also had a much more aggressive brake. The entire brake feeling was different. But that makes sense as they definitely changed the brake system with the AP cars. They added a system that can activate and modulate the brake for Auto Pilot. The old car's don't have that.

I see no reason to change the throttle response of my pre-AP P85. It's always been butter smooth at all speeds, including slow speeds, and I never had any issues switching from Reverse to Drive. That part of the software update confused me, but makes sense why I didn't receive it - doesn't need it. It seems only the newer cars have this issue with smoothness and acceleration "curve".

Sure, but it is curious that others with pre-AP are reporting a noticeable change. Also curious that, if the purpose of the update was to "tame the throttle" that AP cars running 7.0 still maintain a more aggressive throttle response. I can understand why braking may feel different, but acceleration should be exactly the same, AP or not.

Sure, but it is curious that others with pre-AP are reporting a noticeable change. Also curious that, if the purpose of the update was to "tame the throttle" that AP cars running 7.0 still maintain a more aggressive throttle response. I can understand why braking may feel different, but acceleration should be exactly the same, AP or not.

I have not noticed any change in throttle response ever with my March 2013 car since receiving it almost 3 years ago.

My car is apparently the fraternal twin of mknox's car. I have not noticed any changes to my throttle response at any speed. Hey, maybe I should try rebooting? lol

FWIW - After driving my MS for a while, I struggle at times to control the throttle of other ICE vehicles. Last week I almost plowed my wife's explorer through our garage wall, as I was trying to gently pull it in. :scared: