Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very sad... Fatality in a Model S on the 405

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What a senseless waste. The guy was drunk in the middle of the day. Not driving on empty roads (not that that's an excuse) but I hope they throw the book at him.
You can see in the 2nd photo on pg1 that the number plate (and evidently rear of the car) has been seperated from the base and driven up and almost horizontal. There's then a high chance that some part of the metal pushed through to the rear passenger seats of the cars injuring both children.
<rant> The high bumpers of SUV's makes me very glad in Europe that trucks are far far less common. People buy these large SUV's often as status symbols with no thought about safety of pedestrians, other road users, cyclists, pollution (eg. benzene - a petrol additive is a carcainogen at 1 part per billion - there is no safe limit).
With their high fronts they make the bumper ride up into the passenger cabin - missing the floor of most cars. The make pedestrian collisions more likely to be fatal (obvious really where a normal car might hit the legs, waist) a taller car with a high front is likely to hit the trunk or head - making even low speed collisions more likely to be fatal... then (and a contributing factor must be their height + weight) you often hear about people reversing over their family members on their own drive! In Europe I think they banned "bull-bars" for this reason.
The mass of the Tahoe (5600 pounds - 2.5 tons) is even more than the Tesla. Then you have a lot more kinetic energy to stop.

.. and perhaps the car in front?

Each collision would become significantly less intense.
People can survive momentary G's in the 50's and low 100's. I've seen studies on this. eg. a 50mph car coming to a stop in about 1m can lead to that g force. But that's survivable (providing you're wearing your seat-belt). A compromised car interior is more likely not.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Also, my younger daughter, who was killed in the crash, was 10 years old, and about to start 6th grade in middle school next Monday.

My god - am so sorry to hear of your loss. With 2 daughters myself I can't imagine what you must be going through. I'm touched to see the sympathy from the community both here and in your home town. Finally - I hope they prosecute the other driver to the full extent of the law. I really feel high SUV's are not safe for other road users - and being driven by a drunk are a lethal weapon.

Horrible. But the exact reason I said I would never put my kids in the trunk of my car. Have always been surprised that those rear seats were even approved being that they are in the crush zone of the vehicle. Not blaming Tesla at all. It's just physics. Not enough room from the passenger to the rear of the car in a high speed rear end collision. At least in the back seats, the occupants are facing away from the oncoming danger and have the added protection of the seats at their backs with room to push forward. No such possibility in those rear seats.
I've seen the entire backseat area of a car smashed by a drunk driver... that's not a guarantee of safety either.

Also the passengers in question were in the back seat not rear facing trunk seats.

It's terrifying that drunk driving accidents can happen at seemingly random. Even in one of the world's safest cars, passengers still aren't safe from people who shouldn't be driving.

I hope autonomous cars come as soon as possible and there's widespread adoption, especially for people who have a propensity to drink.

Last edited:
Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that your daughter is doing better and that you are also recovering. I echo what was said above in that if there is anything we can do, then reach out to us.

I appreciate all the expressions of sympathy. I did not have rear-facing trunk seats. My daughters were in the normal second row, with their seat belts on. At the time of the accident, my car was stopped on the freeway (as was the traffic ahead of me). I believe the car that rear-ended me was traveling at roughly normal highway speeds.
My heart breaks for you and your family. I am so sorry.

I appreciate all the expressions of sympathy. I did not have rear-facing trunk seats. My daughters were in the normal second row, with their seat belts on. At the time of the accident, my car was stopped on the freeway (as was the traffic ahead of me). I believe the car that rear-ended me was traveling at roughly normal highway speeds.

Very little I can say to mitigate your pain, but offer you a poem I learned a long time ago:

People so seldom say
I love you
and either it's too late
Or love goes
So when I tell you
I love you
It doesn't mean I know you'll never go
only that I wish you didn't have to.

My sympathies are included also. Just so heartbreaking.

Its good to know your feeling well enough to read this forum. Thanks for letting the public also know the details of the incident to avoid unnecessary speculation.

Don,

What a terrible tragedy. I imagine you felt hopeless in that kind of situation when you are stuck in traffic and something comes barreling towards you at full speed. I echo others in that I am here for you - please let me know if there is anything at all I can do to help.

Brent