Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious as to why everyone is so protective of their VIN by masking the numbers with 21xxx. It's not a SS# !!! :rolleyes: And it's visible on every car as well.

I've been wondering the same. I recall a funny conversation I had with some Craigslist seller. I was in the market for a cheap pickup and he had one listed that matched my specs. I asked for the VIN and the guy got all crazy and said i must be insane asking for a VIN over the phone. I was like I hope you know it's visible under your windshield and what do you think I'll do with it? Run carfax? it was like a 3k truck.

• Funny
Reactions: dc_h and debuggr
I've been wondering the same. I recall a funny conversation I had with some Craigslist seller. I was in the market for a cheap pickup and he had one listed that matched my specs. I asked for the VIN and the guy got all crazy and said i must be insane asking for a VIN over the phone. I was like I hope you know it's visible under your windshield and what do you think I'll do with it? Run carfax? it was like a 3k truck.

I have wondered as well. Maybe there is something with regard to the car not being registered/insured yet and revealing the full VIN (rather than knowing the VIN on an already registered/insured car)?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Reactions: Teslie
I have wondered as well. Maybe there is something with regard to the car not being registered/insured yet and revealing the full VIN (rather than knowing the VIN on an already registered/insured car)?

Inquiring minds want to know!
My curiosity just got the best the best of me, so I googled: VIN Cloning: How Thieves Can Steal Your Car's Identity
I seems this would be easy to do even w/o knowing any other vins, just add 1 to the stolen vin.
I don't understand though how you can sell w/o title/paperwork. Any dealers buy w/ no questions asked?

Update:
Apparently, certificates of title are forged. And some dealerships give thieves the keys from the car based on VIN:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/vin-car-thieves/
Posting it on forums would not help though, a thief has to see your car+vin.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: colinrego