Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That silver car could have been during the employee builds. Maybe they haven't done silver in the last few weeks.

AFAIK, they have 1 spray booth for all of these cars. Changing colors is a relatively labor-intensive process that involves cleaning the paint hoses. I don't know how often they change colors.. maybe only every few days? Maybe it takes 3 weeks to cycle through all 6 paint colors?

Reactions: dhanson865
Non-employee round 1 configurer (placed order on Nov 21). Got VIN assigned on Dec 6/7. No email, no call from DS. I called and got a DS email. DS is actually an Inside Sales Advisor and is in Las Vegas (I'm in Bay Area). Got a few answers:

1) No delivery date yet. Should be mid to late December. "The VIN is a good sign, but we don’t have a confirmed date as of yet."
2) Delivery will likely be at Fremont Delivery Hub.
3) "when vehicle is ready they will reach out to schedule a day and time."

This seems to indicate that they don't call until your vehicle has passed QA, which tells me I need to be ready to go at a moment's notice since they won't call in advance in case there are issues with the car to be worked out.

Same experience as @smorgasbord
1) Las Vegas Rep (I live in Bay Area)
2) Rep confirmed VIN is NOT ASSIGNED until Car is 100% complete and QA'd
3) I challenged Rep on this since it is 100% OPPOSITE how the Model S Production is done.
4) Rep confirmed again the Model 3 Production is currently different since this batch of 3's all have same parts (except for paint/wheels)
5) If Rep is correct, the car is 100% complete when you receive your VIN.

That is exactly what my Rep from LV told me.
So I wonder why some on here have already received VINs? Did they start out doing things differently?
Either way, I still have no VIN, and was told exactly the same thing along with the added bit that we could receive a VIN and conceivably take delivery the next day.
I'm still sweating the VIN, since that's the way it was done with other models.

I told the sales advisor this morning that we are leaving for xmas trip this Thursday. Will we have the car before we leave? He doesn't know.

As far as the sales advisor is concerned, he doesn't know if I will get the car in the next 2 days. These sales advisors have no idea when the cars are coming.

There is no point in getting updates from him either. The answer is always the same. They don't know.

So I wonder why some on here have already received VINs? Did they start out doing things differently?

Hard to say. I believe they made a batch of cars and then assigned the VIN's to customers. But it may be that once they get going you may see a combo of "assigned after build" and "assigned before build".
When production ramps up to speed, they wouldn't slow down due to lack of customers being ready to configure, they would keep building that configuration and stockpile.

I told the sales advisor this morning that we are leaving for xmas trip this Thursday. Will we have the car before we leave? He doesn't know.

As far as the sales advisor is concerned, he doesn't know if I will get the car in the next 2 days. These sales advisors have no idea when the cars are coming.

There is no point in getting updates from him either. The answer is always the same. They don't know.

Great just what I wanted to hear... I will be calling the only random contact i have in about an hour to try to get something out of them but dont expect anything. I have been waiting to leaving to go back home to visit family since Friday so if i don't hear anything from them by this evening I am leaving. I am sure I will hear that my car is ready to go about the time i make it to Utah...

I feel like I have been more than accommodating to them threw this process, all i have ever asked for is an estimated time so i could either start my trip and fly back or just wait a little longer and they cant even be bothered to do that. All this is made worse by having pictures of the car sitting over in the Fremont delivery center for over a week. 5 years, 3 deliveries, zero have went smoothly but this is closing in on the win.

all i have ever asked for is an estimated time so i could either start my trip and fly back or just wait a little longer and they cant even be bothered to do that.

Right? They set the expectations. They started the expectations with "4 weeks". As of tomorrow the 4 week window is closed. I may or may not be getting the next tomorrow or next week or next year. It's ridiculous that they don't know.

Same experience as @smorgasbord
1) Las Vegas Rep (I live in Bay Area)
2) Rep confirmed VIN is NOT ASSIGNED until Car is 100% complete and QA'd
3) I challenged Rep on this since it is 100% OPPOSITE how the Model S Production is done.
4) Rep confirmed again the Model 3 Production is currently different since this batch of 3's all have same parts (except for paint/wheels)
5) If Rep is correct, the car is 100% complete when you receive your VIN.

Rep is wrong on #2. Once production starts, the VIN is known. The question is when Tesla decides to tell customers their VIN.

Rep is right on #3. As we see from the wide range of VINs for orders placed within hours of each other, Tesla is simply producing cars and then matching customer color choice to VIN.

@GarrickS is right that the people Tesla chooses to be in contact with us have no idea what's going on. I asked mine if he was as tired of repeating the same party line as I was of hearing it. That got a chuckle.

I do give Tesla the benefit of the doubt here. I believe they are working really hard to deliver good quality cars ASAP. And given that the second to last step (or thereabouts) is QA, they really don't know when they can deliver until the car passes QA. And then it goes to the delivery center for prep.

I do give Tesla the benefit of the doubt here. I believe they are working really hard to deliver good quality cars ASAP. And given that the second to last step (or thereabouts) is QA, they really don't know when they can deliver until the car passes QA. And then it goes to the delivery center for prep.

Do you think that the car's that are sitting at the delivery center are pre QA? To me it doesnt make sense to do that since you wouldnt really want to do QA work after it left the factory because you dont know if the issue happened pre/post being moved.