Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's easy. They build the cars in the ratios of colors that they think they will sell in, with the wheels in the ratios they think they will sell, and ship them around and try to match orders with nearby cars… just like normal car dealerships. If this is what they're doing, they're doing a pretty crap job of it so far it seems.

No, I mean how could one take delivery without a VIN. You need that to complete insurance and financing.

I agree the cars are not built to order.

Reactions: RenMan68
No, I mean how could one take delivery without a VIN. You need that to complete insurance and financing.

Oh, I believe she meant that even without having been given the vin in advance, it doesn't mean delivery is weeks away. There's no reason they can't say "Oh hey VIN 2121 is a match and ready to go. Want to take delivery today?"

Reactions: JenniferQ
Yes, of course I meant that we may not have the VIN ahead of time and that doesn't mean the car isn't being built. Of course we have to have a VIN to take delivery.

It seems from what we've gathered that the VINs are assigned after the cars are built, so I agree, from VIN to delivery could be much shorter than Model S production / delivery was.

It seems from what we've gathered that the VINs are assigned after the cars are built, so I agree, from VIN to delivery could be much shorter than Model S production / delivery was.
Or to be more specific, VINs are assigned to buyers after the cars are built (and just a few days prior to delivery). And for folks paying cash, the VIN doesn't need to be assigned to them prior to delivery. Moral: just pay cash!

My insurance company covers a car purchase without a Vin # for 30 days after purchase. Knowing Vin #s ahead of time has never been a concern for so many. You can buy a car and be insured without giving the exact Vin # to the carrier until after you have possession. Vin # tracking has been an interesting thing for Tesla - however, they may be seeing that they don't need to provide it (or a correct one) anymore until delivery time. By not giving it out, it is actually in their favor - at least until the next capital raise from wall street.

My insurance company covers a car purchase without a Vin # for 30 days after purchase. Knowing Vin #s ahead of time has never been a concern for so many. You can buy a car and be insured without giving the exact Vin # to the carrier until after you have possession. Vin # tracking has been an interesting thing for Tesla - however, they may be seeing that they don't need to provide it (or a correct one) anymore until delivery time. By not giving it out, it is actually in their favor - at least until the next capital raise from wall street.

In Canada you have to have the VIN to get insured. By the time their shipping them here we will probably have the Vin weeks in advance.