Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking about switching to sports wheels just so I can get the damn car already. Ugh I really dont need the wheels. This wait is killing me!
I am trying this strategy. Had it swapped yesterday (Friday), no VIN yet but my config shows sport wheels now.
I wil report if it is successful.

PS: They did warn me twice that switching may delay the process but I gambled anyway.

• Helpful
Reactions: Subhuman
What can one infer from a VIN (besides that the car is getting ready for delivery). Are any ranges better than others?
I have VIN 131XX assigned.

Only what you already know... Model year... One motor (not two).

Once you have a VIN you may be able to activate your mobile app and (at some point) start talking to the car.
Maybe they won't let you connect until after delivery though.

By the way, congrats on being able to configure (finally) and already getting a VIN. I configured before you but am still waiting for a VIN.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: geometro
I am trying this strategy. Had it swapped yesterday (Friday), no VIN yet but my config shows sport wheels now.
I wil report if it is successful.

PS: They did warn me twice that switching may delay the process but I gambled anyway.

It will delay your VIN by 2+ weeks but since they're ramping up you may not be affected. I lost 2 weeks when I changed my wheels.

• Informative
Reactions: Asad1087
Only what you already know... Model year... One motor (not two).

Once you have a VIN you may be able to activate your mobile app and (at some point) start talking to the car.
Maybe they won't let you connect until after delivery though.

By the way, congrats on being able to configure (finally) and already getting a VIN. I configured before you but am still waiting for a VIN.

Thanks... the whole thing went from 0-100 (no pun intended) so fast... I had nothing and before I knew it, they put a VIN on it and asked for my financing. I suspect the car is (and has been) sitting at Fremont for some time now.

What color/wheels did you opt for?
I went Blue + Aero.

It will delay your VIN by 2+ weeks but since they're ramping up you may not be affected. I lost 2 weeks when I changed my wheels.
I hope it isn't but will deal with it if its like that. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I always liked the look of the sport wheels but thought the difference in efficiency and life of tire would be too great. From what I have seen it isn't a crazy difference so I am happy waiting for them.

I hope it isn't but will deal with it if its like that. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I always liked the look of the sport wheels but thought the difference in efficiency and life of tire would be too great. From what I have seen it isn't a crazy difference so I am happy waiting for them.

For me, I decided to change my wheels to sport about 6 1/2 weeks into my config and did not have a VIN yet, 4 days later i received my vin and about 10 days more to delivery on 4/24 at Costa Mesa, they originally had told me 4/23 but said they were double and even triple booked so they pushed me back a day, finally got the HPWC out of the box and on the wall a couple days ago so just need a car to charge!

Reactions: IdaX and Asad1087
For me, I decided to change my wheels to sport about 6 1/2 weeks into my config and did not have a VIN yet, 4 days later i received my vin and about 10 days more to delivery on 4/24 at Costa Mesa, they originally had told me 4/23 but said they were double and even triple booked so they pushed me back a day, finally got the HPWC out of the box and on the wall a couple days ago so just need a car to charge!
Congrats, Hope to have a similar outcome.

Anyone else see this?

Tesla registers 5170 new Model 3 VINs as online tracker hits 20k milestone

Where are these VINs though? I am not seeing those kind of updates on the tracker certainly, unless... there is a delay between registering VINs and assigning them and we are about to be flooded soon? Makes me smile end to end in anticipation!
These new VINs should enter production soon, when they are coming out of production, they will get assigned to customers and you will see them on the tracker.

Tesla usually leaves ~2 weeks of VIN available for production

max NHTSA registered VIN - max assigned VIN = ~2 weeks of production​

The max assigned VIN up to now is ~205xx, and max available (NHTSA registered) VIN was at 28296 before this morning's batch, so there were ~8000 available VINs. If Tesla hits 3k-4k/wk after this shutdown, this 8k VINs will last them ~ 2 weeks, and then they will need more. This is why they registered more VINs this morning IMO. I expect to see the VIN >205xx assigned soon, and VIN up to 28296 in ~ 2 weeks, after that we should start to see VINs from this new batch being assigned