Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
im curious if a low vin means anything? I got assigned my MSM in on 5/1 and it was 142xxx, and im seeing msm vin anywhere from 140xxx to 20xxxx in the pass few days
The answer (not for the first time) is that nobody knows for sure, there is plenty of evidence that cars are not being built in VIN order, but that does not mean that an earlier VIN is not an earlier built car with some sort of history. I think it's most likely that that it's a VIN built out of order, but there are definitely some small number of cases where that is not the case.

Just got my VIN!!!
Sometime this afternoon (5/1/18)

Line waiter, non owner, Colorado (Park Meadows)
Deposit: 3/31/16 (early afternoon, maybe 1:30ish)
Invite: 4/6/18
Order: 4/7/18
VIN assignment: 5/1/18
VIN: 170xx
Blue, aero, EAP, FSD
I've been emailing my ISA (no phone calls) since yesterday. VIN assigned on 5/1 and she emailed me on 5/2. Financing is worked out with my credit union and it's showing "Your delivery profile is complete" on the website. No delivery date yet.

The answer (not for the first time) is that nobody knows for sure, there is plenty of evidence that cars are not being built in VIN order, but that does not mean that an earlier VIN is not an earlier built car with some sort of history. I think it's most likely that that it's a VIN built out of order, but there are definitely some small number of cases where that is not the case.
I think there is a possibility that some cars got flagged during QA process, and had to go through some rework to correct something. Some people get overly concerned that those car may be defective. I personally think that it's not a big deal, as long as Tesla fix whatever needs to be corrected during rework, that car should still be as good as any car that passes QA on 1st try. People have a check list here, just go in with that and check everything. If you find anything, ask Tesla to fix it before you take delivery or if it's minor enough (your call), take delivery and have them fix it when convenient. Be fair and respectful, and I'm sure they will treat you the same way. Good luck and so jealous you will have a Model 3 soon.

Edit:

As Data pointed out, Tesla doesn't build VINs exactly in sequence. In our crowd sourced data, most people who got 14000 VINs took delivery in late April, so your car is not really that "old". Maybe it just missed getting on a train and had to sit in a lot for a few extra days.

Also noticed that 14000 VINs are 18" aero wheels. Apparently Tesla had a lag on 18" wheels. Possibly your car was almost built but waiting on 18" wheels.

Last edited:
Reactions: RenMan68
I’m getting extremely anxious about taking delivery this month. After waiting for the white interior for over 6 months from our initial invitation to configure, we caved and ordered on 4/8 because of the comments Elon made about no other options becoming available until production reached at least 5K/month. We figured that meant it’d be at least July/August before we could take delivery of a white interior car, and that just wouldn’t work for us so we made the jump.

Anyway, we were hoping to take delivery within the 3-6 week window and I am trying to stay optimistic as it looks like we’re finally getting close to getting a VIN according to the spreadsheet. At this point though, that seems increasingly unlikely considering we’re now 4 weeks in and still haven’t received a VIN. Have there been any VIN’s assigned for June orders for black/aero in Florida?

Anyway, we were hoping to take delivery within the 3-6 week window and I am trying to stay optimistic as it looks like we’re finally getting close to getting a VIN according to the spreadsheet. At this point though, that seems increasingly unlikely considering we’re now 4 weeks in and still haven’t received a VIN. Have there been any VIN’s assigned for June orders for black/aero in Florida?

I'm in a similar boat as you - waiting for black/aero (4/18 config). There is a VIN assignment chart available:

Tesla Model 3 Invites - VIN Assignment

While it doesn't show states, it does break down the VINs by color and wheels. There was a large backlog of 18" wheels (especially in black and MSM), however, over the last few days it is starting to catch up. From the pictures people are taking at the Factory, it seems that most of the cars coming out now have the 18"s.

Looking at the chart, it appears most people received their VINs that order through 4/6. 4/6 was a large batch with about a ¼ assigned. You should be getting close.

I am having a difficult time opening the google spreadsheet so have not been able to dig deeper.

Reactions: cellogig and Drax
I'm in a similar boat as you - waiting for black/aero (4/18 config). There is a VIN assignment chart available:

Tesla Model 3 Invites - VIN Assignment

While it doesn't show states, it does break down the VINs by color and wheels. There was a large backlog of 18" wheels (especially in black and MSM), however, over the last few days it is starting to catch up. From the pictures people are taking at the Factory, it seems that most of the cars coming out now have the 18"s.

Looking at the chart, it appears most people received their VINs that order through 4/6. 4/6 was a large batch with about a ¼ assigned. You should be getting close.

I am having a difficult time opening the google spreadsheet so have not been able to dig deeper.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...TxGp6xUL5j8DqkMPY0K9TfOCDz83A_7HGcQCl/pubhtml

• Helpful
Reactions: Blue in NC and TT97