Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wailing wall for Australian Model 3 team VINLess!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just found my hidden vin about an hour ago. 5YJ3F7EA5LF6060XX.

Ordered 04/11
SR+ While/Black No FSD.

Based on all observation in TMC this will most likely be Jan/Feb 2020 delivery.
Super excited right now given the order was only placed 2.5wks ago;)

This is interesting.... Getting a VIN usually suggests your car has been built!
And we all know Tesla does not like to have cars UNDELIVERED at quarter end.
You might be lucky and get it this year......

This is interesting.... Getting a VIN usually suggests your car has been built!
And we all know Tesla does not like to have cars UNDELIVERED at quarter end.
You might be lucky and get it this year......
Got the call from Tesla this arvo regarding the finances (through 3rd party) and invoice request etc. They also mentioned the estimate delivery date of 16~31/12. Also received the rego paper to complete. I am starting to believe this is true. :)

Hmm sent an email to Tesla yesterday, frustrated with the lack of information forthcoming. I received the following response:

"There are a few reasons that we don’t release the final invoice or confirm the VIN more than 2 weeks in advance.

The first reason being that VINs are assigned to orders as a placeholder however these are dynamic and can change as vehicles can be reassigned while in transit or when they arrive if a vehicle arrives on an earlier shipment or if the containers are unpacked earlier as this process can take up to 9 days after the ship arrives.

You may also get matched to a vehicle with sooner delivery if someone in front of you in the queue changes their order, cancels or needs to push back their delivery.

If the VIN does change then the invoice needs to be regenerated and reissued so in the interest of not wasting the resources of our finance team we try to only issue the invoice once.

The other reason that we don’t issue the invoice too far in advance is that plate fees, stamp duty and registration costs usually change at least once a year. Until the delivery date is set, the on-road costs are subject to change.

The last reason is simply because when we’re as busy as we are we need way to prioritise things and the finance team generates and issues the invoice once all the details mentioned above are known and the delivery date is set because that is also a component of calculating applicable taxes (LCT, GST, Stamp Duty) and needs to be accurate on the invoice, so they will only issue an invoice once the delivery date is set.
"

It would be nice to be given this level of information early on, rather than 3 emails chasing a date...

I have my secret VIN now, here's hoping it doesn't slip...

Thats a... detailed response.
Considering Tesla doesn't have the best method of communication, its impressive they went that into detail.

I was pretty frustrated, and expressed that in my email. I work in a client facing role, and the worst thing you can do is say nothing. Even a note "saying we have nothing more at this stage because of reasons..." is better than silence...

Hmm sent an email to Tesla yesterday, frustrated with the lack of information forthcoming. I received the following response:

"There are a few reasons that we don’t release the final invoice or confirm the VIN more than 2 weeks in advance.

The first reason being that VINs are assigned to orders as a placeholder however these are dynamic and can change as vehicles can be reassigned while in transit or when they arrive if a vehicle arrives on an earlier shipment or if the containers are unpacked earlier as this process can take up to 9 days after the ship arrives.

You may also get matched to a vehicle with sooner delivery if someone in front of you in the queue changes their order, cancels or needs to push back their delivery.

If the VIN does change then the invoice needs to be regenerated and reissued so in the interest of not wasting the resources of our finance team we try to only issue the invoice once.

The other reason that we don’t issue the invoice too far in advance is that plate fees, stamp duty and registration costs usually change at least once a year. Until the delivery date is set, the on-road costs are subject to change.

The last reason is simply because when we’re as busy as we are we need way to prioritise things and the finance team generates and issues the invoice once all the details mentioned above are known and the delivery date is set because that is also a component of calculating applicable taxes (LCT, GST, Stamp Duty) and needs to be accurate on the invoice, so they will only issue an invoice once the delivery date is set.
"

It would be nice to be given this level of information early on, rather than 3 emails chasing a date...

the most informative response so far. Thanks for sharing the info.

VIN found Monday
EMAIL received Tuesday
PHONE CALL RECEIVED TODAY --------------

My god this is getting exciting.

Delivery JANUARY
Despite all the delays and frustration in the waiting game, I must admit the level of service, information and professionalism in their phone call is truly EXCELLENT. Got all the answers I need, some blunt honesty (DON'T expect it in Perth before Christmas), some adjustments to the order (that don't change timing), confirmation of some things, and listened to my suggestions on lack of communication. Well done Tesla team, I feel as though its getting very real.

(Must start scrabbling around my house, office, desk drawers, etc for the odd spare coin or two, as now I need to think about actually PAYING THEM!!)

OMG this is so worth the wait - watched Doug Muro's YouTube on the Model 3 Performance, and watching the Grin that hits his face as he accelerates, makes me so convinced that I am going to LOVE this car!

Really cant understand those people who have cancelled. Ah well, cheers all!!!

OMG this is so worth the wait

Well, 4.5 months since ordered P3D+. I would not have believed it if you had told me, then, that I would go this period of time without a Tesla human contacting me, with a courtesy update on a 100K+ Car purchase. If it weren’t for this forum, I wouldn’t know that I had a hidden VIN over two weeks ago, and the ship that it is on. Thank you. No offence, but when I finally receive the mythical phone call, it will take a Jedi mind trick by customer service, to instantly make me feel that it was worth the wait......

T

"

This is why Vedaprime exists

VIN found Monday
EMAIL received Tuesday
PHONE CALL RECEIVED TODAY --------------

My god this is getting exciting.

Delivery JANUARY
Despite all the delays and frustration in the waiting game, I must admit the level of service, information and professionalism in their phone call is truly EXCELLENT. Got all the answers I need, some blunt honesty (DON'T expect it in Perth before Christmas), some adjustments to the order (that don't change timing), confirmation of some things, and listened to my suggestions on lack of communication. Well done Tesla team, I feel as though its getting very real.

(Must start scrabbling around my house, office, desk drawers, etc for the odd spare coin or two, as now I need to think about actually PAYING THEM!!)

OMG this is so worth the wait - watched Doug Muro's YouTube on the Model 3 Performance, and watching the Grin that hits his face as he accelerates, makes me so convinced that I am going to LOVE this car!

Really cant understand those people who have cancelled. Ah well, cheers all!!!

Have replied. Arriving this weekend.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DavidRL