Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting Room for MYLR/MYP : May 2023 orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm kind of bummed to see inconsistency still on the mud flaps and rear PPE for Northeast delivered Teslas. If mine doesn't show up with it, is that something I can request that they install at no charge then? Good news on the rear cargo cover as that sounds consistent at least.

To me, it's pretty distressing seeing all the inconsistency in Tesla's delivery system.

Some delivery centers allow you to inspect inside and out before accepting. Other centers no inside inspection at all. And, that's in the same State. Some areas get mud flaps, etc., others not. It's not like all areas of the country don't have sand, dirt, mud, and road debris. If the rear door is unusually vulnerable and needs PPF, then put it on all of them. Other manufacturers include ppf on the rocker panels, exposed fenders etc.. At Tesla, it depends on where you live whether you get it.

I could understand the inconsistency if there were dealers. Dealers do things differently to try and attract customers. Tesla's big claim to fame is that they take the dealer out of the equation so that everyone gets the same deal everywhere. Yet, there doesn't seem to be any method at all to their system.

Every time I call I get a different story from Tesla. Their own representatives don't even have a consistent policy. Some say you have to pay in advance, others say you can pay after inspection using the app. They say you get three days to choose from for delivery, yet many here have been told that they have to take delivery on a certain date, with no flexibility at all. Some require proof of insurance with the Tesla VIN on it for a full sixty days after delivery. Others say that just proof of insurance on your present vehicle is sufficient.

I've seen stories on this website about delivery centers jumping through hoops to fix any defects found on inspection right then and there. Others just say bring it back in a month and "trust" that we'll fix it. I've seen buyers here who ordered one day, got their VIN the next day for a vehicle built that day. Others sit and wait for weeks without getting a VIN or delivery.

I've read personal accounts of those who took their new Tesla in for warranty work and were given a loaner Tesla for days or longer. Others who were told "you're on your own". That might be fine for someone who lives close by to a service center and can take an Uber or call a friend to pick them up, but for those of us who live 2 or 3 hours away, that's not too simple.

I'll be glad to see some competition in the EV field in the next couple of years. Maybe Tesla will then re-assess their outlook on customer service and consistent treatment. Maybe not.

That's my daily rant.

Update: After 30+ minutes on hold, they said I had no choice but to place my order on hold and get a new VIN on 7/1.
Bummer. They wouldn't even hold it 1 day. Your hold will expire on the 1st and they will try to fill your order again. If that car hasn't been sold, you could be reconnected to the same VIN. Or could be weeks for a new build. I'm in the same position, so we'll find out after saturday.

Update: After 30+ minutes on hold, they said I had no choice but to place my order on hold and get a new VIN on 7/1.
That is so wrong. That's totally against their own policy.

This is a direct quote from the Tesla Motor Vehicle Order Agreement:

Delivery; Transfer of Title. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will
notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as
we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not
respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available
for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within fourteen (14) days of our first attempt to
notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.

Last edited:
I still haven't received the VIN, but tomorrow would be the scheduled delivery date. Messaged the Tesla team about that but still haven't got any feedback. I think they may delay my delivery...
Update: I got a call this afternoon, and the vehicle is not yet available, but they have another one with a tow hatch that meets the spec I requested. They will waive that fee for me. However, I need to pick it up tomorrow in Fremont (about 45 min -1 hour drive) instead. I accepted that even though I had no plan to use the tow hatch.

Does anyone have any good idea to use the tow hatch? I don't bike or do a lot of outdoor activities... but I want to hear from you all if there are any good accessories that I should consider to make it useful.

To me, it's pretty distressing seeing all the inconsistency in Tesla's delivery system.

Some delivery centers allow you to inspect inside and out before accepting. Other centers no inside inspection at all. And, that's in the same State. Some areas get mud flaps, etc., others not. It's not like all areas of the country don't have sand, dirt, mud, and road debris. If the rear door is unusually vulnerable and needs PPF, then put it on all of them. Other manufacturers include ppf on the rocker panels, exposed fenders etc.. At Tesla, it depends on where you live whether you get it.

I could understand the inconsistency if there were dealers. Dealers do things differently to try and attract customers. Tesla's big claim to fame is that they take the dealer out of the equation so that everyone gets the same deal everywhere. Yet, there doesn't seem to be any method at all to their system.

Every time I call I get a different story from Tesla. Their own representatives don't even have a consistent policy. Some say you have to pay in advance, others say you can pay after inspection using the app. They say you get three days to choose from for delivery, yet many here have been told that they have to take delivery on a certain date, with no flexibility at all. Some require proof of insurance with the Tesla VIN on it for a full sixty days after delivery. Others say that just proof of insurance on your present vehicle is sufficient.

I've seen stories on this website about delivery centers jumping through hoops to fix any defects found on inspection right then and there. Others just say bring it back in a month and "trust" that we'll fix it. I've seen buyers here who ordered one day, got their VIN the next day for a vehicle built that day. Others sit and wait for weeks without getting a VIN or delivery.

I've read personal accounts of those who took their new Tesla in for warranty work and were given a loaner Tesla for days or longer. Others who were told "you're on your own". That might be fine for someone who lives close by to a service center and can take an Uber or call a friend to pick them up, but for those of us who live 2 or 3 hours away, that's not too simple.

I'll be glad to see some competition in the EV field in the next couple of years. Maybe Tesla will then re-assess their outlook on customer service and consistent treatment. Maybe not.

That's my daily rant.
I like our car,we picked it up Saturday.
The people who think the tesla buying system is so great bewildere me,we did not have a very good buying experience and was totally screwed on our trade-in $7000 less than the 1st estimate.
Tesla's biggest problem or issue is they think they are doing you a favor by letting you buy their car that will bite them in the ass when the competition gets closer.

Does anyone have any good idea to use the tow hatch? I don't bike or do a lot of outdoor activities... but I want to hear from you all if there are any good accessories that I should consider to make it useful.
I ordered the hitch. I've always driven pickup trucks, like for 50 years. I've used them as trucks. Nowadays, I rarely use my truck bed. However, if I do need to pick up a few items at the lumber yard or haul my riding lawn mower to the shop, or pick up a recliner, etc., I can tow my small utility trailer with the Tesla.

If you have none of the above needs, you might someday want to get one of those hitch mounted cargo carriers for going to the lake or the beach or on vacation or whatever. They're pretty good for lightweight items that you don't have room enough for in the car.

However, if you're mostly just a stay inside type of person, you may never find a use for it. It's a $1,000 accessory that you're getting for free, it'll add value to your vehicle when you trade/sell. Nothing lost, and it isn't even visible until you remove the cover panel.

Congrats.

That is so wrong. That's totally against their own policy.

This is a direct quote from the Tesla Motor Vehicle Order Agreement:

Delivery; Transfer of Title. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will
notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as
we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not
respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available
for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within fourteen (14) days of our first attempt to
notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.
Yea - I wish they would adhere to their own contracts. They absolutely refuse to delay it past their Q2. Only option was to release VIN and hope for the best July 1.

EDD 2 - Jun-Jul
EDD3 - Jun 26-30
What the heck? Why is Tesla punishing me? All I did is agree to give them a bunch of money in exchange for a specific config. How does the schedule move backward?
Updated Jun 14:
EDD3 - Jun 26-30
Delivery to Fayetteville, GA service center
Plus I just started seeing white interiors as early options and on the Tesla-info site. Woo hoo!
This is so frustrating! A couple of weeks ago they moved pushed the EDD to July 2-16. Yet, they keep offering me inventory models that don't match what I want. Now my financing pre-approval expires in a couple of days with higher rates and a new application needed. Why do they keep building inventory cars when there are guaranteed orders in the pipeline. I would happily take Q2 delivery, but I want what I want at the price we agreed to.

I went to pickup mine in Fremont on Wed. We noticed 4 issues on the outside, where the front left alignment was really bad (4-5mm panel shift). Crating a Z instead of a straight line. The cars nearby were much better. They didn’t let us check the inside without making a payment…

We refused delivery and were matched with another VIN, second delivery is friday. We hope the other one is better or we’ll lose the order… It was quite disappointing.

Reactions: Sai Ko
What would happen if you scheduled for 6/30 but didn’t show up (family emergency). Then show up 7/1 day sorry… your car would likely still be there.

Forcing you to take delivery that single day is certainly against their policy. They are simply trying to get high end of quarter numbers. It’s really unfortunate!

Reactions: jdcar
What would happen if you scheduled for 6/30 but didn’t show up (family emergency). Then show up 7/1 day sorry… your car would likely still be there.

Forcing you to take delivery that single day is certainly against their policy. They are simply trying to get high end of quarter numbers. It’s really unfortunate!
This crossed my mind after I already released my VIN. I totally should have just done that, especially if they were going to force me to release my VIN regardless.

I went to pickup mine in Fremont on Wed. We noticed 4 issues on the outside, where the front left alignment was really bad (4-5mm panel shift). Crating a Z instead of a straight line. The cars nearby were much better. They didn’t let us check the inside without making a payment…

We refused delivery and were matched with another VIN, second delivery is friday. We hope the other one is better or we’ll lose the order… It was quite disappointing.
Sorry to hear that.

It sounds like Fremont is Fremont, where really has lots of cars/choices out there, so they can quickly get you another one. Hope Friday is perfect.