Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walkaway lock at home ... I don’t want it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would require drilling a hold in the key card. The salesperson on delivery told me that would be a bad idea. Or putting it on a lanyard, which is bulkier than I'd like. So the card lives in my wallet. Which is a good thing given that my phone died on me while I was 30 miles away from home just last Saturday. I had a mild panic attack until I confirmed that the key card was indeed in my wallet, and it would indeed work.

The second card lives with the wife. So really not a great option given that every other $30k car on the planet these days has figured out how to implement keyless entry with a convenient fob. Sometimes a design that just works doesn't need to be messed with.

And yes, yes, I know about this: This Hacker's Tiny Device Unlocks Cars And Opens Garages
The new fob supports passive entry.

I
I'm wondering about security here, and perhaps your son should too given his profession. Having the phone try to be smart about lock/unlock based on location is simple on the surface, but some of the edge cases worry me. Example: what should the car do if it can't get a GPS fix? I would imagine it should assume the worst and lock, which seems sensible. Ok, fine. You get used to the feature NOT locking your car at home. Then one day the weather or some such anomaly messes up GPS for a few minutes, and the care decides its not sure where it is even though it is safe at home and locks. With your phone in it. Oops.

Contrived perhaps, but the more complex you make locking options, the more ways there are for them to do the wrong thing. That's why the best security systems are always the simplest; complexity, especially complexity for the sake of convenience, is the enemy of security,

If this is a concern for you, I would suggest you do not select the option. For those of us that are not concerned about this, it would be nice to have a option. Exactly like geofenced mirrors folding and homelink activation. Simply add no door lock.

Reactions: Electric Chic
I know that. But I bought a $40k car and I have to now buy a $150 fob? And that fob has no place to put a key, so I have to carry the fob, and key ring, and I can't hang the fob with the rest of my keys.

It's a really poor design.
The fob does have a place to loop the lanyard Tesla has oh so nicely decided to not give us (like they do the S/X folks). I cannot argue the point of the fob not being included. Will see if Ford gets the same memo from folks with the Mach E (they appear to be following in the same phone as key footsteps).

How about a $45K car with the fob included?

Funny, one of the things I miss switching from Model 3 to Model X is Phone as key. I hate the freaken fob. Phone worked much better. To solve the DOH I forgot my key, I hang my keys in the garage. Car won’t sleep if you leave fob in the car. Also had to buy a cage for the fob to stop it from false tripping in my pocket.

I would like the OP’s option to not lock at GPS locations though on both Model 3 and S/X. I wouldn’t mind disabling auto presenting doors as well (completely as in turn front door motors off), nothing but a nuisance.

I love the simplicity on my Volt. Push button on door handle to lock and push button on door handle to unlock. Pull handle to open. Genius.

Funny, one of the things I miss switching from Model 3 to Model X is Phone as key. I hate the freaken fob. Phone worked much better. To solve the DOH I forgot my key, I hang my keys in the garage. Car won’t sleep if you leave fob in the car. Also had to buy a cage for the fob to stop it from false tripping in my pocket.

I would like the OP’s option to not lock at GPS locations though on both Model 3 and S/X. I wouldn’t mind disabling auto presenting doors as well (completely as in turn front door motors off), nothing but a nuisance.

I love the simplicity on my Volt. Push button on door handle to lock and push button on door handle to unlock. Pull handle to open. Genius.
I tend to leave the Volt on when I use it. Not having a power button in a Tesla makes a person really lazy, lol.

I absolutely do NOT want my car locked at home, period. If someone parks in an area where they have to worry about break-ins, then they don't have to care about this restrictive function. But many, if not most people have garages, and I live in a rural area where the only thing I'd worry about is wild turkey poop on the hood. Anyway, just because YOU don't need it doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a useful option for loads of other people.
With a locked garage, I'm not worried about car being stolen either, but the main reason I would like to control the distance this autolocking occurs, or adding a time delay is simply to better the implementation of the locking. When I walk around the front of my car (even 2 ft away), it autolocks, when all I wanted to do is walk to the other side of the car to open up another door. quick work around is to leave the door open on the side I no longer need access too, but that is annoying since I now need to go around and close that too. One work around is to go around the back of the car instead, but that isn't possible when my garage is closed, therefore needing to open that garage... my point is, don't lock the car when I'm anywhere near it (~20 ft). I know, 1st world problems, but every other car I've driven with autolocking didn't mess this simple function up.

Reactions: Matsayz
If this is a concern for you, I would suggest you do not select the option. For those of us that are not concerned about this, it would be nice to have a option. Exactly like geofenced mirrors folding and homelink activation. Simply add no door lock.

But there is a big difference between "convenience" items like mirror folding and critical items like locking/unlocking the car. Yes, I can disable a feature I don't like (assuming it has such an on/off toggle), but what happens if it mis-behaves? I'm not saying the OP request is bad, I'm saying that you need to consider edge cases VERY carefully when playing with door lock/unlock functionality.

I don't get why they haven't added this. They have a geo fencing for sentry mode so we know they can. Add a warning about them not being liable and give us the feature. Having to remember to go grab my phone off the charger every time I need to grab something out of the trunk while it's in my garage is annoying.

Reactions: DesertSilver
Just a quick question, those of you who leave their cars unlocked on their driveway, what does your insurance company say about that? Are you still covered if the car is broken into/stolen when you’ve left it unlocked?
I know in the UK most insurers would not cover you if your car was unlocked at the time.
Not worth risking a 50k car for a few seconds of convenience in my opinion.

938193C0-2F6E-486D-9622-DCD3257F93A2.png Screenshot from lv.com https://www.lv.com/car-insurance/existing-customers/claim/claim-considerations

just one UK insurers terms, but something worth considering when leaving your car unlocked.

Just a quick question, those of you who leave their cars unlocked on their driveway, what does your insurance company say about that? Are you still covered if the car is broken into/stolen when you’ve left it unlocked?
I know in the UK most insurers would not cover you if your car was unlocked at the time.
Not worth risking a 50k car for a few seconds of convenience in my opinion.
Again, if you don't want it, don't use it. This would be an option just like geofenced folding mirrors, homelink, and sentry mode.

I happen to have a garage, but whether I do or not, and what my insurance consequences would be, is entirely my personal issue, and should be no consequence to anyone else, and no reason to argue against a request for an option. If it never rained where I lived, I wouldn't argue that you should not want windshield wipers.

I was simply asking a question.
I don’t care if you use it or not, just wondering if insurance companies still cover you if your car is unlocked. That is all.

I don't even bother locking my garage, car (unless forced to) or house. Home or away.
If crooks want in, they can bust in, into anything in seconds.

Camera's are better protection than locks.

I don't even bother locking my garage, car (unless forced to) or house. Home or away.
If crooks want in, they can bust in, into anything in seconds.

Camera's are better protection than locks.
That’s fair enough, I’m not out to criticise anyone’s decision on leaving their car or home locked.
Im just surprised the insurance company will still payout if a home or car was left unlocked. I know in the uk your insurance would be void if you left your car or home unlocked.