Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger - do I have to stow the plug in unit ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may want to use the 24' length to mount the wall charger on the side of my garage, route the cable overhead and hang down in the middle if the garage where I'd be using it. In this way, the base unit will be closer to WIFI, less wire and volt drop to get power to the unit. Any negatives to NOT putting plug in little stowage spot ?

I may want to use the 24' length to mount the wall charger on the side of my garage, route the cable overhead and hang down in the middle if the garage where I'd be using it. In this way, the base unit will be closer to WIFI, less wire and volt drop to get power to the unit. Any negatives to NOT putting plug in little stowage spot ?

Short answer is no, I would just ensure the plug is not pointed up to allow dirt to enter. But your concerns over WiFi and volt drop are likely non-issues. Running a shorter run of high-voltage wire will same you some money.

My advice is to first discount those concerns and decide where the optimal location for the wall connector is. Then factor in your other concerns. How much money will you save by placing it in another location? Is the WiFi concern a real issue? And I suggest voltage drop is negligible.

Reactions: davewill
Upvote 0
Yea sorry not voltage drop, Ohmic heating calc P=I^2R. Its either 100 ft from CB to Wall Unit or 125 ft if I locate in the more-central location. Another 25 ft within the wall unit's cable and the return so we're talking 250-300 ft of lets assume 8awg copper. At 56.5 per 100', that's 113-170 wasted wattage. Admittedly taking out (25', 28w) to have unit in less-than-optimal location may not be a good choice. The better location would serve entire 2-car garage and first two cars outside (any one car). 99% of the time I'd have the excess cable (25')coiled up. My WIFI is weak on the far side of garage, middle may be ok.

Upvote 0
@R.C.

I suggest you confirm the wire you plan to use is suitable. 8 AWG NM-B is only rated for 40A while 8 AWG THWN in a conduit is good for 50A. Also the wire needs to be 125% of the continuous load. So if you plan to run the wall connector at its maximum rate of 48A you will need wire rated at 60A.

Upvote 0
Thanks for those links .. still contemplating best loccation for my real need. I do have 10awg NMB in the house and was adding 8awg THHN vis conduit .. trying to keep hole size for conduit to a reasonable minimum .. currently at 3/4 sch-40 with 1.1" holes. Do I need an insulated ground and neutral for wall connector ? It seems I presently only have Blk, Wht, bare copper in the house section, what set of wires do I need to properly "feed" the wall connector ?

Upvote 0
Thanks for those links .. still contemplating best loccation for my real need. I do have 10awg NMB in the house and was adding 8awg THHN vis conduit .. trying to keep hole size for conduit to a reasonable minimum .. currently at 3/4 sch-40 with 1.1" holes. Do I need an insulated ground and neutral for wall connector ? It seems I presently only have Blk, Wht, bare copper in the house section, what set of wires do I need to properly "feed" the wall connector ?

The ground can be bare. The white wire indicates a neutral so the black-white should be 120V. The wall connector does not need a neutral and does not use a neutral, only two hots and a ground. In the breaker box you need a dual-pole breaker (not a GFCI). Run 2-conductor wire which should be black, red and ground.

Upvote 0