Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Website wait times for delivery change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting thought. Was demand in China really weak or was demand for certain models weaker than expected and Tesla think it would be better to focus on US sales due to the time it take to deliver a vehicle in China, and the strong dollar?

There may be some compelling reasons for saturating US market with P85D before delivering it to remote markets.

1. Strong trend of appreciating UD $, depreciating Euro and other world currencies. Tesla may be chasing its tail with price adjustments, the only way to preserve overseas revenue in uncertain Forex markets is to sell in US $.

2. Continuous software development of D drive train. It is far easier to get customer's feedback from domestic customers that from non-english speaking markets.

3. Possible recalls of cars under development

S60 and S85 are still prioritized over S85D in Europe. It will be interesting to find out the reason for it. I suppose S85D generated much higher interest but swapping it with S85 for production should not be a big deal.

These two numbers - 50K for RWD cars and additional 20K for AWD cars, however, are very close to the AWD percentage intake for other premium brands - about 40%. I think it is reasonable to assume that about 40% of the MS orders will be AWD, and perhaps the healthy portion of the 40% of AWD orders are not just converts form those who were planning to buy RWD MS, but actually new orders from people that did not consider RWD MS.

I suspect we will see more than 50% of the orders being AWD. Since the initial introduction of the Model S there has been a pattern of owners buying additional options and the larger 85kWh battery.
I see no reason why that won't continue.

That is one way of interpreting it.

Other possibilities include that Tesla may want to prioritize deliveries of high margin P85D to a local market, at the expense of pushing P85D deliveries to more remote markets to further months.
Another explanation is that Tesla has lowered its projected production rates. While I don't give much weight to that option, it can't be ruled out.

Last edited:
Another explanation is that Tesla has lowered its projected production rates. While I don't give much weight to that option, it can't be ruled out.

Happened in Q3. Not sure about Q4. It is worth thinking about. Still means they are production constrained in either case, but I would certainly caution trying to make guesses on how much backlog they have.

After nine days since the last update, delivery times changed again:
  • GB - 60 and 85 wait times changed by 1 month - from late April to late May
  • Europe - 60 an 85 wait time changed from late April to May

Wait Time 02-01-2015.png

- - - Updated - - -

S60 and S85 are still prioritized over S85D in Europe. It will be interesting to find out the reason for it. I suppose S85D generated much higher interest but swapping it with S85 for production should not be a big deal.

I do not believe that 60 and 85 are prioritized in Europe over the "D" models. Don't forget that European cars are different from the US cars. The design of European "D" cars is not complete yet. The European delivery estimates for these cars just reflect the schedule for the completion of the European variants of these cars.

I do not believe that 60 and 85 are prioritized in Europe over the "D" models. Don't forget that European cars are different from the US cars. The design of European "D" cars is not complete yet. The European delivery estimates for these cars just reflect the schedule for the completion of the European variants of these cars.
Actually P85Ds and 85Ds are on their way to Europe right now as per the delivery threads.

Again, there must be parts supply issue specific to D models or S85D specifically. It becomes more visible.
Funny you don't actually provide the evidence for this which I want to now update anyone reading this thread. I went back and found out that Norway orders for the S85D were actually originally promised late March and as I had posted from evidence in the threads it looks like that will be met. I did not previously realize that was the original plan so I now think Q1 will go to plan at best and/or there could be some slipping. Of course we don't know what that actually means since we don't know how many they are actually trying to deliver.

Funny you don't actually provide the evidence for this which I want to now update anyone reading this thread. I went back and found out that Norway orders for the S85D were actually originally promised late March and as I had posted from evidence in the threads it looks like that will be met. I did not previously realize that was the original plan so I now think Q1 will go to plan at best and/or there could be some slipping. Of course we don't know what that actually means since we don't know how many they are actually trying to deliver.
I don't have any evidence other than the delivery estimates consistently showing 60 and 85 prioritized over s85d first for NA (not the case now) and then for Europe. I don't get the delay other than the supply issue. What is everyone's take?

I don't have any evidence other than the delivery estimates consistently showing 60 and 85 prioritized over s85d first for NA (not the case now) and then for Europe. I don't get the delay other than the supply issue. What is everyone's take?
It has to be a supply issue of some sort. My other theory was they pushed up Norway S85D orders but after researching further it appears they were always planned for Q1. A supply issue can easily be that they have the planned supply but too many orders. That being said, I don't know why existing North American orders got pushed back a little so that indicates some kind of issue.

It is probably as someone (maybe it was you?) had said previously in that there are the three different drive units floating around out there now. The "standard" drive unit in the 60/85, the "basic dual motor" drive until in the 85D and the "performance" drive unit in the P85D.

From all accounts the front motor in both the 85D and P85D are the same (although this may not be true, and until we get them on the road and being serviced... and therefore talking to the service guys about motor swaps and such) will we actually know for certain. You then have likely some unique parts to the rear of the 85D that isn't shared with any other platform/part of the car... and of course the P85D has some unique parts. If the 85D has as high of an uptake that we anticipate it will/should, then it is likely that they have an abundance of regular drive units to throw in the 60/85s which is why there is still allocation for them.

I wouldn't look at that as a negative or a positive... as long as they are able to fill their production to 100% of available capacity then it really shouldn't matter too much.

Actually P85Ds and 85Ds are on their way to Europe right now as per the delivery threads.

On their way to Europe is probably an exaggeration on the 85Ds. The first customer 85Ds are probably finishing up production in the next few days. Like the P85D, production times should be expected to be longer than the older models as they check the first ones more carefully.

Alright, S60, S85, S85D now have delivery dates of May.

P85D delivery stays where it was - Late March. I suppose that'll be the case for another two weeks to deliver as many P85Ds as possible in Q1.

On one hand I get why they are doing what they are doing with shifting deliveries and focusing on as many of their high GM cars as possible with the shortest delivery time as possible, but seriously it would be much easier on the logistics most likely if they wouldn't lump all US sales into 1 month to 1.5 months and instead did a better job of just spreading them throughout the quarter. You can only fit like, what? 8 cars on a carrier. So get 8 orders queued for one locations then ship them out. They already use the excuse of "filling the pipe" as to why there is a huge disparity between production and deliveries... we get it. So make it easier on overall logistics and spread the US out over the entire 3 months and give your poor service and delivery staff a bit of a break here.

For the overseas stuff, they should just queue enough to fill one shipment at a time before sending them off. Maybe they are doing that, and since they are so low volume that is why they have to lump, say, all EU into a 1 month stretch (or whatever), but seriously, this is just crazy. At some point, they are going to have to shift from this delivery method to just spreading it out evenly. Might as well start today. /rant