Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you miss about your previous car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually miss my 15yr old Impreza WR1 more. It only lost 45% in value in 15 years, and the thing just seemed alive and visceral compared to the A35 and model 3. Saying that as a cruiser it was hard work, manual gear box, noisy and was never happy unless driven at 9 tenths. But, as they say times change

I suspect the WR1 is now worth more than what you sold it for!!

Only car I miss is my old DC2 Teg, it didn't even come with a radio. As you say totally different driving experience, not really better day to day, but as a weekend toy so much better than anything else I have owned or driven since - including our Tesla.

Am currently working on convincing my wife to let me get one as a 'investment' for the future, as drivers cars these were really from a golden era we'll never see again :(.

B5F2TWW.jpg

Oh why did you open old wounds.....I miss the DC2 now more than ever, it really is the total opposite of our Tesla. I do hope one day own one again :).

6889763778_f658ced8c9_c_d.jpg

Last edited:
Nice car.

I sold the wr1 only last year, and only did something like 300 miles in it over the last couple of years. So it was basically sitting in the garage costing tax,insurance and maintenance and I needed the cash. I do have some great memories of it though. I’m not sure we’ll see cars if it’s ilk again, nor the uncluttered roads in which to enjoy them again. Go’s that makes me seem old...

Anyway, The good thing about the M3 is it’s my way of restoring karma by “putting back” all the co2 I spent hooning the wr1 about ;)

Hi,

I've got a deposit down on a Tesla Model 3 LR. I've test driven a showroom model on a couple of occasions - and I love it!

There is a small bit of doubt in my mind though, from each time that I drove my own car back home (a Mini Cooper S JCW).
I don't know if it's just a bit of sadness that the Mini may eventually be going? The Mini has a very loud personality, unique interior and it has a lot of character, in comparison, the Tesla is quite plain and doesn't feel as customisable due to the lack of options available.

I guess I'll also miss the noise of having a performance exhaust.

Does anyone else miss their old car, or even worse, regret moving to a Tesla?

Ash
My M3 LR is the best car I have ever owned. I look forward to driving it. And it upgrades over the air. I don’t miss my VW Sharan one little bit.

I miss an oh so essential proper speed limiter and smart cruise that doesn’t try to be more than it is.
Also miss satnav way points and route selection, air con seats, heated steering wheel, rear wiper.
I miss separate scheduled charge and departure settings too
I miss knowing whether the heater is on or off o_O

Definitely don’t miss petrol stations. Still only spent less than one penny on charging in 1700 miles

oh, and miss my Renault 16TS. Comfiest, most adaptable car I ever owned

Reactions: Haddock
There is a small bit of doubt in my mind though, from each time that I drove my own car back home (a Mini Cooper S JCW).
Going from a MINI to a Model 3, you will certainly miss the turning radius

Last edited:
Had a Polo Blue GT before the Model 3.

I think the only things I miss are some form of noise so people know you are there on a country lane and a rear windscreen wiper!

I find there's enough road/tyre noise for wildlife and halfway aware folk to know your there with my S. There is a noise-maker in the middle of that round directional thingy you rest your hand son... best used when you're right behind the walkers with earbuds in...and watch them dive into the hedge.

Reactions: Beady3647
Hi,

I've got a deposit down on a Tesla Model 3 LR. I've test driven a showroom model on a couple of occasions - and I love it!

I don't know if it's just a bit of sadness that the Mini may eventually be going? The Mini has a very loud personality, unique interior and it has a lot of character, in comparison, the Tesla is quite plain and doesn't feel as customisable due to the lack of options available.

I guess I'll also miss the noise of having a performance exhaust.

Does anyone else miss their old car, or even worse, regret moving to a Tesla?

Ash

Great topic!

What I miss most is having a small car, or a car that is small as I need it to be whilst accommodating my storage/cargo needs. The Tesla is bigger than I'd like given the size of my generously-sized garage, and it's the longest car I've ever owned at 15'5". Yes, I know the length of it because I compared the length of this car to other marques, trying to work out how I would fit the car and my bike in the garage. I sold the bike so that's not an issue.

I prefer small cars, but there are no EVs with decent range in the states, yet. The Bolt was the first 'smallish' vehicle to have a 238 mile range. But, I'm someone who owned a smart car, a FIAT 500 Abarth, a spate of Hondas, etc. I LOVE the Honda E but Honda is too shortsighted to bring that to the States, and its range isn't great for L.A. commuting from where I live (32 miles one way). Granted, in the pandemic this isn't an issue but at the time it was. I sold my LEAF S because of its insufficient 151 mi. range, and I wasn't in love with the styling.

If I had the choice of Tesla vehicles, and let's say this was 10 years hence, I'd have a small 'hot' hatchback of some type with around 350-400 mi. range, great minimalist styling, and SMALL. I don't have kids and don't cart people around often, so I really only need the front seats in most cases. I would love the Abarth 500E but the range is pathetic. Same with the Electric Smart.

I love my Tesla P3D-, but I would love it even more if it were about 20% smaller all around, or the size of a Lotus Elise (I know, like the Roadster). The Roadster is nice too, but I want a fully up-to-date vehicle with all the modern features Tesla can offer. I cannot afford the new Roadster, and it doesn't even look all that small (but I could be wrong). The Tesla is so fast, so quiet, so smooth, handles corners well, and visibility is good except directly to the rear. I love it.

In summary, if in the future I could buy a smaller Tesla EV hatchback with great range (at least 350 miles), I'd be VERY interested, and it would be easier to park or maneuver in the garage next to my girlfriend's car or just in general. With two Tesla Model 3s, things are pretty tight with side clearance (opening doors and such), but workable.

Reactions: Cyclone1
Yep that bit @Glan gluaisne @Ash92 and also the smoothness of TACC is not up to par with previous BMW system, it is too on/off/on/off and doesn’t seem to anticipate/have tolerance built in. Wants to vary throttle setting too much all the time, just needs to chill out not be so fiddly with the throttle.

In queuing traffic however the Tesla system is stonkingly good, best I’ve had in any car at speeds below 20mph.

Does it behave any better when acceleration is set to chill mode?

• Informative
Reactions: Bernard_S
I miss:
Bluetooth that can connect to one phone for calls and one for Music ( yes I have kids)
having a hatchback. The boot is big but I just can't get big things in it.

And as others have mentioned:
auto windscreen wipers that work as well as a 10K hatchback
cruise control that engages at the speed I am doing.

and if I am honest I do miss being able to do long journeys without planning where I will stop to charge. I don't mind the actual charge stops just having to plan the route especially if it takes me outside of the SuC network. I don't do too many journeys that exceed range so its not a big deal but it is a thing I have to do that I did not before.

Reactions: spooksman
Nothing I still have my previous car, Audi S5 stage 2 mapped now at 480 odd bhp. It's nice to be able to have the luxury of a weekend toy. Much more engaging to drive, but yes still not as quick as the M3P, but I'll take the S5 in corners any day....

Reactions: Cyclone1
Matrix LED headlights by a long way. Took a big hit as far as headlights are concerned. My m3 is significantly worse.

Also auto dimming mirrors and auto wipers that work properly.

Minor shout out to android auto and Air suspension.

Also, and very weird I know but I actually miss the smell of petrol. Realised now I don't have it its a smell I like!

I absolutely love my tesla, but I do miss:

1. Build quality
2. H U D
3. Cruise that uses the current speed
4. Speed limit recognition
5. Adaptive headlight,
6. Seat bolster adjustment
7. 450 mile real life range
8. Custoner service

What I love about the tesla

1. Acceleration
2. Regen - single pedal driving