Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What features do you wish the Model Y came with (Dec 2022/Jan 2023) Wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my Model Y, but there's always room for improvement...What features would you like to see Tesla make for Model Y or Model 3?

Let's classify this as either A) software updates or B) hardware upgrades (for new cars and possibly retrofitting to existing cars).

I'll start...

A) Software Updates
  1. Please enable the matrix headlights.
  2. CarPlay and Android Auto (which may or may not require HW changes)
  3. Navigate to 3rd party DCFC
  4. Error/warning messages need text-to-speech. The text is tiny and I shouldn't need to look at the screen to see that autosteer is disabled or some other critical alert.
  5. Voice recognition for changing radio stations (I thought every car had this — my Ford and my Toyota did)
  6. Without EAP or FSD, lane changing should be more seamless and less beepy. In my last car (Mach E), you'd signal, it would let you change lanes without lane keeping, and it would detect when you're in the new lane and re-engage lane centering.
  7. Add ability to adjust wiper sensitivity
  8. I've had 3-4 times in my 3 months with the car where the car would not update its status in the app. It was in persistent disconnected status (in a well covered cell area that I go all the time). In a couple cases it was broken for 3-6 hours. I had to two-button restart. Please fix this.

B) hardware upgrades (and please offer upgrades to current owners)
  1. Heads up display (that seems like the perfect minimalist match for Tesla)
  2. Cameras support for Birds Eye surround view (downward facing cameras under the side mirrors, etc)
  3. Infrared eye illuminator and camera tracking for detection driver attention instead of hands on the steering wheel (like Chevy Supercruise and Ford BlueCruise)
  4. 80A level 2 charging (19.2kW). I know early Model S cars had an option. But more and more businesses are installing 80A chargers. Blink and SemaConnect have sold 80A commercial chargers for a while. Chargepoint released a 80A commercial charger a couple months ago. If you can get almost double the charge (vs a 48A charger) during a shopping trip or a movie, or move almost twice as many cars through a charger at a workplace, that would be great.
  5. Vehicle to load and vehicle to house. We've all seen what the Hyndaid/Kia can do with a built-in plug and a J1772 adapter. And the Ford Lightning's ability to power your house. Come on Tesla, we want this too!

2020_Tesla_Model_Y,_rear_8.1.20.jpg

"File:2020 Tesla Model Y, rear 8.1.20.jpg" by Kevauto is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Added as thumbnail for blog.

Upvote 0
Adding remote start with key fob. When you're in an area without good cell coverage or wifi (my driveway in metro Boston), being able to start (and stop) preconditioning with the key fob would be really critical (with winter having arrived with a vengeance).

Odd - mine still works fine. You do know you can purchase a key fob, right?
Yup, I know. I was so happy when my phone just worked as advertised though. Not having to carry keys everywhere was really nice! I keep hoping it will miraculously cure itself. I really like this car and just want the simple stuff to work— I hope FSD and the rest will come to pass, but I’m not holding my breath and won’t be disappointed if it doesn’t. It’s the stuff that’s been commonplace for 20 years that doesn’t work or that works intermittently that bugs me.

Yup, I know. I was so happy when my phone just worked as advertised though. Not having to carry keys everywhere was really nice! I keep hoping it will miraculously cure itself. I really like this car and just want the simple stuff to work— I hope FSD and the rest will come to pass, but I’m not holding my breath and won’t be disappointed if it doesn’t. It’s the stuff that’s been commonplace for 20 years that doesn’t work or that works intermittently that bugs me.
You must keep the TESLA app running in the background 100% of the time. NEVER close the app—EVER.

And if I were to add anything, rear cross traffic warnings would be nice. Oh, wait. No ultrasonics. I don’t see how Tesla Vision could accomplish Cross traffic warnings without them.
Ultrasonic sensors aren't used for rear cross traffic alerts. That requires radar on both rear corners.
After driving around a rental Y for a bit, currently visiting family out of town, there is one thing I'd like Tesla to do.

Let us temporarily add a rental Tesla to the Tesla app. That way we can pre heat or pre cool the car. Plus if it snows and gets cold like it did Christmas week, we can have the Tesla unlatch the door.
Tesla already supports this. The rental company just needs to add your Tesla account as an authorized driver. Then even your profile would be there.

Reactions: Stijn_NL
Make sure you cancel your Amazon! I hear Bezos is mean, too. Lets not even get into Apple's child labor factories... definitely dont buy an Apple product. Also never shop at WalMart, that family is horrible... Even the beloved Walt Disney was an anti-semite, so dont do anything Disney.

Maybe many people with that much wealth are just bad humans. *shrug* Personally, I tend to support Made in America products whenever possible, but the Tesla leadership doesnt always make it easy.
No conspiracy theories with any of those CEOs that I know about.

1 Apple CarPlay
2 tesla infotainment apps should not loose last paused
position when switching apps.
3 bird’s eye view
4 make usb-c ports of 2022+ model years of 3 & Y supports data again & offer official retrofit to old owners. Don’t make us order the part from tesla & leave it up to us to find suitable data cable and install ourselves. Etc.

The point is that it no longer works. Many posts to this effect recently. It was fine for the first couple of months and now (for the last two weeks or so) only occasionally works.
Been working great for me. Owned car for 12 months. Never had to use my plastic key card. I have Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max and have gone through many iOS updates & tesla updates.
I do not leave the app active and tend to close out the card in iOS and it still works great but for older iPhones, perhaps app card needs to be in the stack of apps Which had been run.

Last edited:
New aftermarket solution coming for those wanting a traditional style HUD:
HUDWAY Drive Tesla Model 3 & Y Edition

they arent new, hudaway has been advertising this since around 1.5 years ago.
I canceled my preorder with help from american express - they have supplier issues, financial issues and are unable to tell when this will be released. Rumour has it maybe mid to late 2023.

Been working great for me. Owned car for 12 months. Never had to use my plastic key card. I have Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max and have gone through many iOS updates & tesla updates.
I do not leave the app active and tend to close out the card in iOS and it still works great but for older iPhones, perhaps app card needs to be in the stack of apps Which had been run.
All phone key users should be leaving the app open and active at all times, irrespective of version/model.