Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is unlimited lifetime supercharging worth?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• IMG_0156.JPG
    IMG_0156.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 77
Tesla will start cracking down on Supercharger abuse, says CEO Elon Musk

upload_2016-12-11_14-20-56.png

The CEO confirmed that Tesla “will take action”. It’s not clear what it could entail at this point. Let us know if you have any idea in the comment section below. Some owners have complained about taxi services, like Tesloop, leaving their vehicles overnight at Superchargers in Southern California:

Their business model is to offer long distance transport services, especially between Los Angeles and Las Vegas, and using Tesla’s Superchargers to charge their vehicles for free. It lowers their ongoing costs an it is technically within Tesla’s guidelines for Superchargers. The vehicles delivered before April 2017 have access to Superchargers for long distance travel for free. As long as they use the cars for long distances, like Los Angeles to Las Vegas, they should be fine.

Other taxi services using Tesla vehicles, like Teo Taxi, bought their own private Superchargers directly from Tesla in order to be able to charge their vehicles for short distance travel without causing any issues at public Superchargers. Where Tesla owners have a problem with Tesloop is when they leave their vehicles at Superchargers overnight, even though it would be fully charged within just over an hour, and in the process, they can be taking the spot of someone who actually needs to charge – hence Musk’s comment that “Supercharger spots are meant for charging, not parking”.

Reactions: Mark E
So new Tesla deliveries after April 2017 will no longer have unlimited supercharging. They will have 1000 miles of SC then a few based system. I am informed that the deadline for new orders for April delivery is end of this week. Living in Adelaide I have never had the advantage of supercharging. I charge at home or at a destination charger. I assume that Tesla owners in other cities with superchargers wouldn't necessarily drive across town just to charge. What do people estimate is the value of unlimited supercharging?
Depends how long you live

• Funny
Reactions: RichardMcN
Well I've already told my two year old daughter (the one that got her hand stuck in the door handle) that this is her first car when she turns 18! So planning on good use from lifetime supercharging. When she sees it now she says "my car!"... Might be a bit large for a first car though but will reassess in 16 years time. Someone remind me.

Well I've already told my two year old daughter (the one that got her hand stuck in the door handle) that this is her first car when she turns 18! So planning on good use from lifetime supercharging. When she sees it now she says "my car!"... Might be a bit large for a first car though but will reassess in 16 years time. Someone remind me.
Set an alarm on your phone for that one :)

I have a couple of little girls myself, and the funny thing is that when they get their first car they may not need a drivers license. Not sure how I feel about that...

And, as I was saying to Will at Tesla today, it also depends on how long you plan to keep your <= April 2017 delivered Tesla and whether you ever plan to upgrade. For me, the pace of change means I'll want a new Tesla (or other brand...) maybe every two or three years so it doesn't make sense (again, for me) to be concerned about this deadline.

With Tesla software updates, my car is better now than when I bought it. I am however looking longingly at the new autopilot 2 hardware.

In just over a year of ownership, I've used superchargers three times: trips from St. Louis to Florida, northern Michigan, and Chicago. I would have exceeded the free charging quota under the new system, but it's hard to believe this much charging could cost much. So I guess my answer to the original question is: a few hundred bucks? Maybe a thousand?

The party's over ... Tesla introduces $0.40/minute idle fee for Superchargers to incentivise owners to move when charging is over :cool:

That was quick. Last week, CEO Elon Musk warned that Tesla will “take action” against Tesla owners leaving their vehicles at Supercharger stations after charging is over. He said: “Supercharger spots are meant for charging, not parking”. Today the company took action and introduced a new $0.40 per minute idle fee for the entire Supercharger network.

The fee will start as soon as the charging session is over, but it will be waived if the vehicle is moved within 5 minutes – basically giving owners 5 minutes of free parking after charging is over at a Supercharger. In a press release (read below), Tesla made it clear that it doesn’t plan (hope) to make money off the new scheme and that it’s only a way to “increase Supercharger availability”. In other words, it’s a way to make sure the Superchargers are used for what they were meant to be used: charging.

Due to all its vehicles being connected virtually at all time, it’s not difficult for Tesla to keep track of the fees and it plans to charge people during their next Service Center visit. The Tesla mobile app will notify you if you incurred idle fees after your charging sessions at Superchargers.

Earlier this year, Tesla already started implementing a new message text-based alert system to deter owners from leaving their cars at Superchargers after reaching their preset charging requirements. Tesla would send a message text alerting the owner that charging is over and then again every 5 minutes until the vehicle is unplugged. It was apparently the first step leading to the announcement made today.

Here’s Tesla’s press release in full: Improving Supercharger Availability

We designed the Supercharger network to enable a seamless, enjoyable road trip experience. Therefore, we understand that it can be frustrating to arrive at a station only to discover fully charged Teslas occupying all the spots. To create a better experience for all owners, we’re introducing a fleet-wide idle fee that aims to increase Supercharger availability. We envision a future where cars move themselves once fully charged, enhancing network efficiency and the customer experience even further. Until then, we ask that vehicles be moved from the Supercharger once fully charged. One would never leave a car parked at a gas station right at the pump and the same rule applies with Superchargers.

The Tesla app allows owners to remotely monitor their vehicle, alerting them when their charge is nearly complete and again once fully charged. For every additional minute a car remains connected to the Supercharger, it will incur a $0.40 idle fee. If the car is moved within 5 minutes, the fee is waived. To be clear, this change is purely about increasing customer happiness and we hope to never make any money from it. We’re excited to increase availability during long distance travel and think this change will make the Supercharging experience far better for everyone.

Seeking education from the long distance drivers of Tesla cars...

My daily commute is 100miles per day and I intend to charge at home most of the time. Some days I have the need to do quick turn around so would it be OK if I use a SC 5 miles from my workplace instead of charging at home?

Or is this considered abuse?

Very rarely I see more than 1 car charging at this location.

Seeking education from the long distance drivers of Tesla cars...

My daily commute is 100miles per day and I intend to charge at home most of the time. Some days I have the need to do quick turn around so would it be OK if I use a SC 5 miles from my workplace instead of charging at home?

Or is this considered abuse?

Very rarely I see more than 1 car charging at this location.
I don't see a problem provided you don't block the supercharger for others - which you can't do now without paying anyway. To be fair though 100 miles/160km is only around 50% of a daily charge on a 75D or 85. What do you mean by a quick turnaround?

If you are getting ready to go on a long trip and you need to charge the car to get there then using the SC is perfectly reasonable.

Usually start driving by 8am to hit office by Work 9:30a. Work until 6:30pm but sometimes until 9:30p get home about 8pm to 11pm and in rare occasions need to run back by to work in an hour. Rarely happens but when it does...I need to do 150miles before plugging it in. We have chargers at work by Charge Point but they are slow. The super charger is about 3 miles ATCF and 5 miles around city blocks. Does that help. Some days I do 150 miles round trip...depending on off site obligations..those days I must SC.

Don't sweat the issue. Use it and be happy.
Usually start driving by 8am to hit office by Work 9:30a. Work until 6:30pm but sometimes until 9:30p get home about 8pm to 11pm and in rare occasions need to run back by to work in an hour. Rarely happens but when it does...I need to do 150miles before plugging it in. We have chargers at work by Charge Point but they are slow. The super charger is about 3 miles ATCF and 5 miles around city blocks. Does that help. Some days I do 150 miles round trip...depending on off site obligations..those days I must SC.
You have prepaid for use as it is.

It still sounds like you might be able to manage this without charging on any modern Tesla - but situations where you need a quick charge are what the network is designed for, and I'm sure they'd be fine with this usage.

This is what the superchargers are for.