Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you do? Keep or replace this service damaged car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a kind of a long story, so bear with me or TL;DR at the bottom.

My car was delivered with several defects that I was told could be addressed by service at a later date. I documented the issues and waited several weeks for service to source the parts and then dropped the car off at the not so local (2+ hrs away) [Indianapolis - Castleton] service center. The appointment was to correct a variety of issues including but not limited to paint defects across several painted surfaces, panel misalignment's, multiple punctures underneath the car on both sides, broken headliner, etc.

While the car was in Tesla’s custody I received an app alert that my car had hit the 85 MPH speed limit I had set. I messaged my service advisor and brought this up but did not hear back. While at the body shop I could also see that the car was being left unlocked and parked outside after hours. Then when the car was on its way back to the service center from the body shop, I received yet another alert that again the car had hit the 85mph speed limit mode that was set. This time I reached out to service and asked why this was occurring. The service manager apologized and stated that they reviewed the car's logs and would be disciplining the employee that was driving the car inappropriately. Mobile access was then disabled so I have no way of knowing if my car has went out for subsequent joyrides. I am not sure why mobile access was disabled 2 weeks into the service visit only right after I reported the mistreatment, but that is concerning in itself.

To make matters worse while on the phone with the Indianapolis service manager discussing the car's mistreatment, he stated that unfortunately the panels that were repainted by the body shop were in worse condition than they were before they were refinished and the work would have to be redone once again, but a different driver would drop the car off this time.

The car went back to the body shop. A week later I got a call from the service advisor informing me that the car was back from paint but that the front bumper had been damaged and had to be repaired and repainted as well. Then later in the day, the service advisor called me again and told me that unfortunately the car must have been covered in paint over-spray at the body shop and in an effort to remove the over-spray from the glass, they used a razor blade and damaged EVERY single piece of glass on the car which now required replacing ALL of the glass from front to back!

TL;DR I purchased a new Tesla Model 3, while service attempted to fix the delivery defects Tesla employees mistreated the car, the defects were made worse rather than better, then a lot more severe damage was done to the car. At this point, the car has been mistreated, a good portion of the car has had to be repainted twice and is no longer factory paint, the front bumper was damaged, every single piece of glass had to be replaced due to negligence, and no telling what other damage has been done as I have not yet seen it. The car has been out of my custody for just over a month now.

This purchase has really went off the rails. This is no longer the new car I just purchased (after waiting for 2+ years from the reveal like most of you all) and the damage incurred while in Tesla's custody negatively affects the value of the car.

The service manager called earlier and told me that other than the headliner, the car is ready for pick up and that they would do the headliner via mobile service when they get the part in stock because it keeps being delivered damaged to them. After some back and forth, he offered to throw in EAP and a few grand of service credit if I will take the car back and not ask for it to be bought back.

What do you make of this really odd situation I am in? Is that sufficient compensation for having this service center do that much damage to a new car? If I trade in the car in a few years, are they going to give me less value due to all the rework? Anything I should consider or look out for? I am planning to go look at the car tomorrow and see what shape it is in I guess.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/recommendations. Heck of a first Tesla experience.

This is nuts. Sounds like they should not be using that sh!t body shop. But....... EAP and a few grand of service is worth a ton ~$6k. I would look the car over very carefully and then decide what to do. If it looks perfect, keep it. You're car is worth more than when you dropped it off. If the paint job is bad, ask for a buy back.

My car was delivered with several defects that I was told could be addressed by service at a later date. I documented the issues and waited several weeks for service to source the parts and then dropped the car off at the not so local (2+ hrs away) [Indianapolis - Castleton] service center. The appointment was to correct a variety of issues including but not limited to paint defects across several painted surfaces, panel misalignment's, multiple punctures underneath the car on both sides, broken headliner, etc.

While the car was in Tesla’s custody I received an app alert that my car had hit the 85 MPH speed limit I had set. I messaged my service advisor and brought this up but did not hear back. While at the body shop I could also see that the car was being left unlocked and parked outside after hours. Then when the car was on its way back to the service center from the body shop, I received yet another alert that again the car had hit the 85mph speed limit mode that was set. This time I reached out to service and asked why this was occurring. The service manager apologized and stated that they reviewed the car's logs and would be disciplining the employee that was driving the car inappropriately. Mobile access was then disabled so I have no way of knowing if my car has went out for subsequent joyrides. I am not sure why mobile access was disabled 2 weeks into the service visit only right after I reported the mistreatment, but that is concerning in itself.

To make matters worse while on the phone with the Indianapolis service manager discussing the car's mistreatment, he stated that unfortunately the panels that were repainted by the body shop were in worse condition than they were before they were refinished and the work would have to be redone once again, but a different driver would drop the car off this time.

The car went back to the body shop. A week later I got a call from the service advisor informing me that the car was back from paint but that the front bumper had been damaged and had to be repaired and repainted as well. Then later in the day, the service advisor called me again and told me that unfortunately the car must have been covered in paint over-spray at the body shop and in an effort to remove the over-spray from the glass, they used a razor blade and damaged EVERY single piece of glass on the car which now required replacing ALL of the glass from front to back!

TL;DR I purchased a new Tesla Model 3, while service attempted to fix the delivery defects Tesla employees mistreated the car, the defects were made worse rather than better, then a lot more severe damage was done to the car. At this point, the car has been mistreated, a good portion of the car has had to be repainted twice and is no longer factory paint, the front bumper was damaged, every single piece of glass had to be replaced due to negligence, and no telling what other damage has been done as I have not yet seen it. The car has been out of my custody for just over a month now.

This purchase has really went off the rails. This is no longer the new car I just purchased (after waiting for 2+ years from the reveal like most of you all) and the damage incurred while in Tesla's custody negatively affects the value of the car.

The service manager called earlier and told me that other than the headliner, the car is ready for pick up and that they would do the headliner via mobile service when they get the part in stock because it keeps being delivered damaged to them. After some back and forth, he offered to throw in EAP and a few grand of service credit if I will take the car back and not ask for it to be bought back.

What do you make of this really odd situation I am in? Is that sufficient compensation for having this service center do that much damage to a new car? If I trade in the car in a few years, are they going to give me less value due to all the rework? Anything I should consider or look out for? I am planning to go look at the car tomorrow and see what shape it is in I guess.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/recommendations. Heck of a first Tesla experience.

Wow! I would ask for a different car at the very least because even if they fixed it up perfectly, I would always know what had been done to the car. The EAP and grand of service credit would not be worth it to me. YMMV.

Reactions: adaptabl
...thoughts/recommendations....

Tesla routinely turns off remote access and dash cam as they cite privacy.

I guess if you want to keep track your car, you'll have to buy your own GPS spy device and hide without Tesla's knowledge.

I guess you'll might want to allow a maximum speed of 50 instead of 85 MPH from now on.

I think if you don't see any physical defects, I would take the car. If there are still visible defects, I would ask for a re-order because you expect a new car, after all, no less.

Definitely ask for a different car. As the body shop only made it worse and that's a Tesla approved body shop.

I guess you'll might want to allow a maximum speed of 50 instead of 85 MPH from now on.

Now, being from this area, let me address the speed... In this area, the speed limit is 55 mph on I-465, BUT the average speed is 70 mph in all lanes and 80-90 mph in the fast lane. When getting on the highway it's easier to hit the pedal all the way for a few seconds and let it regen to the desired speed. If I had a speed limit alert on in my car I'd hit it every single day without trying.

If the speed limit were artificially set to 50 mph it'd create an unsafe condition for the driver in this area.

That said, there is a kid at the Indianapolis Castleton location that drives the cars very quickly in the parking lot, too fast for a parking lot if you ask me. I don't know if it was the same kid in your car, but it's still possible that they weren't joy riding but instead keeping up with the flow of traffic.

Definitely ask for a different car. As the body shop only made it worse and that's a Tesla approved body shop.

Now, being from this area, let me address the speed... In this area, the speed limit is 55 mph on I-465, BUT the average speed is 70 mph in all lanes and 80-90 mph in the fast lane. When getting on the highway it's easier to hit the pedal all the way for a few seconds and let it regen to the desired speed. If I had a speed limit alert on in my car I'd hit it every single day without trying.

If the speed limit were artificially set to 50 mph it'd create an unsafe condition for the driver in this area.

That said, there is a kid at the Indianapolis Castleton location that drives the cars very quickly in the parking lot, too fast for a parking lot if you ask me. I don't know if it was the same kid in your car, but it's still possible that they weren't joy riding but instead keeping up with the flow of traffic.

Yea, I agree that I am no angel with the speed limit, the rub was more that it wasn't addressed the first time I brought it up, then reoccurred on the way back from the body shop with fresh paint. Then they flipped off mobile access that coincided with me asking about the 2nd occurrence. Plus it's my car, heh.

I did ask for a new car but the service manager keeps back peddling telling me that its going to take months and there wont be price adjustments and yada yada. I did agree that I will at least look at it and take it for a test drive and see what I think.

He was commenting on how good the glass looks now and it was installed by his service team and not the body shop as a selling point. WTF... the glass was brand new! Now every single piece and surrounding panels have been molested. Heck of a way to sell me on taking the car back... Thanks for not trying to give me back a car with every piece or glass damaged?

Last edited:
Yea, I agree that I am no angel with the speed limit, the rub was more that it wasn't addressed the first time I brought it up, then reoccurred on the way back from the body shop with fresh paint. Then they flipped off mobile access that coincided with me asking about the 2nd occurrence. Plus it's my car, heh.
I'd probably be the same way haha, but yeah, I don't doubt this was on 465 where the limit got pegged.

I'm hoping in the future that Indy becomes one of the service centers with an in-house body shop. You'd hopefully not have any experiences like this. I wish I knew what body shop they took it to so I can avoid that one in the future. Hey! You probably actually know where they took it if you checked the location...

Keep us updated if you go the new car route.

Holy crap! Sorry to hear about all the issues. I’ve experienced service issues (nowhere near as serious as yours) as well after my car returned from the body shop. Now it’s back in the body shop and I’m biting my nails that my car returns from the body shop fixed and without any additional damage. My SC has been excellent which at least makes me feel a little more comfortable.
Tough call though. I’d at least fully check it (and bring another person with you-maybe even bring it to a detail shop for advice) and make my decision after that. The other concern I’d have is would all the repairs (since they seem extensive) show up in a CARFAX? Good luck, keep us posted.

I would keep the car but insist on 3 days to live with it just to check on everything. I’m not a car guy (I build furniture) but often the repairs I make are better than the factory new product. I would als insist that the credits be able to be applied to an extended warranty.

• Disagree
i don’t know that they will give you a free car but they have to do something to make this right. You paid for a new car and now, at minimum, you have a car with diminished value due to everything done to it over the past month.

At minimum you should be getting EAP for free and/or a shopping spree for new wheels, wall connector etc...

That’s assuming you can live with the condition of the car when you finally get it back.

Just got back from the service center. I'll spare a lot of the details but say that the car did have some wear and tear from all the work they did on it. Could have been worse, could have been better. Some of the original defects were still present, some minor new ones added.

I was told I couldn't leave the car there to have the rest of it fixed as they consider that they attempted to fix the issues and since there are no known safety concerns they would have to make a new service appointment to readdress the incomplete work and i'd have to take another day off work. Basically they were trying to make it more painful so I would just take it for now I felt.

Goodwill of EAP + FSD was the outcome for accepting the car back along with some of the remaining damage fixed at the next service appointment. EAP and FSD will take a week to show up in the account. Some of the paint issues will unfortunately remain because I do not want to have that body shop work on the car again after royally messing it up 2 times in a row and there is still a lot to be desired and they said that is the only body shop they can use.

It was not really a good experience on either side, and the visit did not fully restore my faith in this particular service center for other reasons I wont discuss, but I'm more than ready to hopefully move on and hopefully not need much service work in the future because I am sure they don't want to see me any more than I feel comfortable leaving my car there unfortunately.

If I could undo having the body work done, I would - I wish they would have offered the body shop value in credit or something, because if the body shop didn't majorly damage the car, the experience would have been much much better... Guess I should have lived with the fish eye, dust nibs, and other minor paint issues and uneven gaps (because I still am unfortunately after all this), but Elon tweeted that they would take car of paint issues so I thought I would take him up on that... Didn't anticipate the body shop's negligence... Roll of the dice I guess.

The service manager told me that if I pursued a replacement, there would be no incentives applied to the new purchase (and prices have increased) and chances are there would be a lot of the same issues and we would end up in the same place several months down the road.

Love the car model and features, but man this has been a tough first experience with the company.

'Meh' is how I feel, but thank you for the prior advice and comments. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JeffK
I probably would have taken the deal too if everything was structurally sound. Service manager is right in that there's no guarantee that you'll be perfectly satisfied with the replacement and may end up going through getting things fixed after having lost time and the concessions.

Everyone gets worked up about paint imperfections and panel gaps, which is understandable so because everyone wants a perfect brand new car from the factory. The reality of it is that in a few years when it's time to sell the car, no one's going to be scrutinizing cosmetic issues and it's not going to influence the value of the sale or trade-in. Having EAP and FSD does definitely increase the value of the car so you probably came out ahead in the long run, plus got features you didn't have to pay for.

So sorry to hear about the experience. Body shop competence and even SC to a certain degree is luck of the draw for now. Hopefully they can improve and customers can expect a consistent experience.

On the flip side, I’d have taken the concessions too. They are a large part of what make a Tesla a Tesla!

Reactions: super20g