Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the California Supercharger build out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point in the original post was that in Southern California and in the Bay Area we are already seeing the impact of too many Teslas and too few Superchargers. If you want to see what the rest of the country will look like, come take a look here. We already have regular lines at a lot of locations. Start in San Diego and drive North on the 5/405, want to stop in San Juan Capistrano, no chance. Okay drive further north on the 405 to Fountain Valley, yeah right.

My concern in the original post here was that these problems are here, right now. Tesla is building out the network strategically for travel across the US and that is fantastic, but the density buildout in California is just not happening. May is around the corner, and still not a single Supercharger permit has been found, construction started, or a new Supercharger opened in 2017. California is Teslas bread and butter, and it seems we are being ignored for now. California is also where the M3 is going to be rolled out first. Imagine the press when thousands of never before EV drivers who don't know better to charge at home (because the new "5 minute delivery" didn't go over that) and the news footage shows dozens of M3's lined up waiting at a Supercharger.
I do find that some of the arguments seem spurious to me. For instance, that permits and building do not get done because of winter. I can buy it up here in the Great White North but in sunny California?

My concern is exactly that articulated by you. That the Model III production with swamp the Supercharger network, and that the expected doubling of the SC's is not happening. The real advantage that Tesla has, in my mind, is their quick charging enabled by SC's. With the flood of new ev's coming they want to continue to differentiate their company from the rest. The new Volkswagen electric Golf is just the beginning of a host of new ev's coming. The publicity from long lines at SC's would be devastating to the Tesla brand.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I do find that some of the arguments seem spurious to me. For instance, that permits and building do not get done because of winter. I can buy it up here in the Great White North but in sunny California?

My concern is exactly that articulated by you. That the Model III production with swamp the Supercharger network, and that the expected doubling of the SC's is not happening. The real advantage that Tesla has, in my mind, is their quick charging enabled by SC's. With the flood of new ev's coming they want to continue to differentiate their company from the rest. The new Volkswagen electric Golf is just the beginning of a host of new ev's coming. The publicity from long lines at SC's would be devastating to the Tesla brand.

It's called Model 3 with a numeral.

Tesla needs to know how much _real_ demand there is and they aren't going to know until the dust has settled on the idle fees.

Today's announcment:

Charging Is Our Priority
As Tesla prepares for our first mass-market vehicle and continues to increase our Model S and Model X fleet, we’re making charging an even greater priority. It is extremely important to us and our mission that charging is convenient, abundant, and reliable for all owners, current and future. In 2017, we’ll be doubling the Tesla charging network, expanding existing sites so drivers never wait to charge, and broadening our charging locations within city centers.

As always, the most convenient way to charge is to plug in overnight where you park. However, to better serve the needs of owners who are traveling or those who don’t have access to reliable home charging, we will continue to aggressively expand our public charging networks. Since we first energized the Supercharger network in 2012, Tesla has built over 5,400 Superchargers with the goal of enabling convenient long distance travel for more than 200,000 Tesla owners around the world. In parallel, we’ve built a network of more than 9,000 Destination Charging connectors that replicate the convenience of home charging by providing hotels, resorts, and restaurants with Tesla Wall Connectors. But we know that to truly advance electric vehicle adoption, we must continue investing in charging infrastructure.

We started 2017 with over 5,000 Superchargers globally and by the end of this year, Tesla will double that number to total more than 10,000 Superchargers and 15,000 Destination Charging connectors around the world. In North America, we’ll increase the number of Superchargers by 150 percent, and in California alone we’ll add more than 1,000 Superchargers. We’re moving full speed on site selection and many sites will soon enter construction to open in advance of the summer travel season.

Toward that goal, Tesla will build larger sites along our busiest travel routes that will accommodate several dozen Teslas Supercharging simultaneously. In addition, many sites will be built further off the highway to allow local Tesla drivers to charge quickly when needed, with the goal of making charging ubiquitous in urban centers.

supercharger-expansion-02.jpg

Tesla will continue to lead the industry with the fastest, most advanced charging technology in the world and continue to build the only cars capable of leveraging that power. The ongoing expansion of the networks will ensure that Tesla drivers are able to quickly and easily charge their vehicles no matter what, and that a seamless charging experience remains our priority.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
I love that rendering of the massive station. I counted 78 stalls! Requires 5.3 gW of power.

The announcement is great to hear. I'm still skeptical about them meeting the goal. In the past they have never met the end of year goal with Superchargers.

Just yesterday I drove 1200 miles up and down in California using many Superchargers. Several were full or near full.

• Informative
Wow lots of SuperCharges going in the SF Bay Area by end of 2017. I'm assuming some of these "grayed" locations (TBD) are just extra stalls at current locations like Gilroy. This is all great news and this expansion will really make traveling way less stressful for people. I'm assuming the Model 3s will have a lower range than the MS and range anxiety has got to be a major thought for anyone new to the car.

Last edited:
  • Informative
The Bay Area buildout cannot come soon enough . Heading southbound on 680 this morning:
Dublin 0 of 10 stalls free
Fremont 2 of 12 free

Didn't need to stop since I charged a full tank of electrons at home, but I've seen 6 deep lines of waiting cars at Fremont around noon in the past, with all stalls taken.
Agreed. Bay Area SCs can't come soon enough. I charged at 11:00 am for 30 minutes in Mountain View. Slipped right in, no wait. When I left at 11:30 am the line was 6 vehicles deep. It is getting worse.

• Informative
When I got to Mountain View all stalls were full and I was getting 35kw. So slow, especially in light of my SOC at 15%.
Argh. That's what I thought :) The situation was no different up the peninsula this evening. MtView had 2/12 free and San Mateo was 0/8 , for a cumulative total of 4/42 for the day of playing 'how many free SC spots?' on the 17" screen in the morning and evening during my drive around the bay area.

Reactions: Blu Zap
Surprised to see that there aren't any plans to put in a supercharging station in King City to split the distance between Salinas and Atascadero.

Selfishly, I also feel like there should be a supercharger on the North Shore of Tahoe. Getting out to Truckee is a bit of a pain, plus, during the winter with all the potential road closures, having additional locations on various parts of the lake would be extremely helpful to give people more flexibility in terms of the route they take to and from the lake.

The Bay Area buildout cannot come soon enough . Heading southbound on 680 this morning:
Dublin 0 of 10 stalls free
Fremont 2 of 12 free
Same story down here in Southern California. I don't even check San Juan anymore, I've never seen anything other than 0 stalls. Same thing with Fountain Valley, I've just given up. San Diego (single sPc for entire metro area) is impossible as well.

The recent Tesla blog post and map look incredibly impressive and if they accomplished that before M3 rollout it would be amazing. I just don't see how they could possibly do that. I mean look at the California map, it has a ton of new superchargers, but we're 1/3 through the year and we haven't seen a single one opened, started construction, or even permitted. All the potential sites in California say by end of 2017. Unless they hire a serious army and descend on California like they are at war it just seems like empty promises. Come on Tesla, it's go time!

One more month down, 2017 is now 1/3 over. Still not a single opening, start of construction, or even permit here in California. Not a single one.

From their blog post regarding 2017 expansion "in California alone we’ll add more than 1,000 Superchargers", as well as their "gray pins" on their map....it really seems that their actions are at odds with their words.

Where is the California Supercharger build out?