Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Does Every News Channel Blame "AutoPilot" For Every Single Crash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your point is well-taken, but I think the video that's posted on YouTube might be tongue-in-cheek. The description says:

A Tesla Model S was involved in a collision in Burlington, Ontario today, September 6 2016, at the intersection of Guelph Line and Palmer Drive. It is unclear whether the car was in ludicrous mode, or whether autopilot played a role in the crash. Halton Regional Police were on the scene. You won't find this story on CNN or Electrek...because there really IS no story.​

In addition, the video is not from CNN or any other legitimate news outlet, but it looks like it's cleverly crafted to appear that way. (CNN logo isn't complete).

Reactions: Chuq and Gizmotoy
Your point is well-taken, but I think the video that's posted on YouTube might be tongue-in-cheek. The description says:

A Tesla Model S was involved in a collision in Burlington, Ontario today, September 6 2016, at the intersection of Guelph Line and Palmer Drive. It is unclear whether the car was in ludicrous mode, or whether autopilot played a role in the crash. Halton Regional Police were on the scene. You won't find this story on CNN or Electrek...because there really IS no story.​

In addition, the video is not from CNN or any other legitimate news outlet, but it looks like it's cleverly crafted to appear that way. (CNN logo isn't complete).
Brilliant.

Sure this was not seen on The Onion? :)

We've been watching this kind of sensational fact-less reporting for years in terms of covering firearms related stories. Every rifle is an "assault rifle", every handgun a "glock".

Makes me think there might actually be a business opportunity for a fee-based news outlet that really knew what they were reporting on, before reporting on it.

It's amazing to me when I read the reports that they said this was the second death in a tesla and that it was similar to the previous accident in Florida. Was the tree making a left turn or even moving? A second death with over 150,000 cars on the road is a great record. Perhaps the story should have emphasized that

• Funny
Reactions: EVie'sDad
It's amazing to me when I read the reports that they said this was the second death in a tesla and that it was similar to the previous accident in Florida. Was the tree making a left turn or even moving? A second death with over 150,000 cars on the road is a great record. Perhaps the story should have emphasized that
Maybe they meant second death involving autopilot, except of course this one didn't involve the autopilot. There have been other deaths in Model Ss and Roadsters. Two involved going over cliffs or into ditches. One involved a high speed chase in downtown LA, the car was ripped in half, and the thief (who wasn't wearing the seatbelt!) was thrown clear and died later in hospital.

But the statistics are still great! And some of the accidents that have been walked away from are amazing to see.

They blame autopilot because it gets them visitor traffic. If it was just "car accident", no one would even click into the article. It's bait and we're eating it up. The article minus that sentence says exactly the same thing, except it wouldn't be shared and referred to (and visited)