Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will California and West see Storm Watch in the next few days (2022-12-29)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Storm Watched kicked in today and charging our powerwalls. South of San Jose south Santa Clara County.
Same in Pleasanton. The message stated, "A high wind warning is forecast for your area."

I am also worried about a mudslide taking out the power poles. One of the people up the street had a debris flow come down the hill, across Foothill road, and into his home. It just missed a power pole.

Same in Pleasanton. The message stated, "A high wind warning is forecast for your area."

I am also worried about a mudslide taking out the power poles. One of the people up the street had a debris flow come down the hill, across Foothill road, and into his home. It just missed a power pole.
I didn't click it or don't remember doing that even the past events and battery charged from grid, It seems to be an automatic even when storm watch is declared on.

Storm Watch turned on for us this morning in Lafayette, current settings are 80% reserve, Time-Based Control, no grid charging. I had the 80% reserve set mostly because of our abysmal solar production the past week or so.

I must say I'm quite pleased by the amount of information that is currently given for Storm Watch activations...tapping on the "Storm Watch" notice on the main Powerwall screen in the mobile app now gives the type of event ("High Wind Warning"), with start and end times for the event. None of that information was available in the initial implementation of Storm Watch...this is a huge improvement.

Bruce.

I was concerned about activating grid charging. When I click its 'yes' button is asks me to verify that I have talked to a tax professional and installer about the tax implications. Anyone know what these implications are?

Well, since I'm going to be claiming my Powerwalls on my 2022 taxes I note the Inflation Reduction Act doesn't require the batteries to be solar tied or so I've read. Regardless, Tesla told me they can turn it on for me if I ask.

I was concerned about activating grid charging. When I click its 'yes' button is asks me to verify that I have talked to a tax professional and installer about the tax implications. Anyone know what these implications are?
If you claimed the full federal Investment Tax Credit on your Powerwalls, they must be charged “>99.9%” by on-site generation for some number of years (5 I think?), else your credit is supposed to be reduced by a pro-rated amount to reflect the percentage they will be charged by renewables.

In practice, I think the IRS ever going back and auditing this is next to nil, unless you’ve got their attention for something else.

Any power added under storm watch would technically fall under the same requirement/restriction, I assume Tesla just figured an occasional grid charge wasn't gonna put anyone in serious jeopardy. Now that you can enable grid charging at will, you basically have storm watch on demand.

I decided to turn storm watch off. It conflicts with the demand response program I'm enrolled in as it overrides the setting to export everything. I am prioritizing ROI over the occasional potential blackout. Plus I can simply immediately grid charge after the demand response event if needed.