Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will California and West see Storm Watch in the next few days (2022-12-29)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually going to do this in a few weeks, once storms are gone. I need to verify my batteries, work, then if they do dead, my generator works.
You can simulate all that right now. :D As mentioned the main breaker that will let your batteries power you for X minutes/hrs, then turn off the batteries as well to see if generator kicks in with the correct frequency output.

Reactions: h2ofun
We had power outage from Wednesday 2PM to a littler after midnight today. Power lasted a bit over 1 hour then out again for 4.5 hrs.
Power is still on now Storm Watch ended this morning, not sure when but then it came back on for another event, it seems. Batteries are charging from grid all automatic.
I even used a long extension cord to help my neighbor power his sump pump under his house on and off, silently. The previous event around Christmas I used my generator and long extension cord. Too noisy though. Needless to say, he is very grateful for the help.

ps. while batteries worked great, wife was out but used exterior lights lighting up the dark neighborhood :D when she arrived home, had dinner, watched TV, but then about 8:30PM, cable company lost power as well it appears as internet also went down. I did notice that all the data correctly showed this morning including when internet was down as well. Did the Gateway cell communications come back on?

Last edited:
Reactions: jboy210
No power outage in my neighborhood yet, but surrounding neighborhoods according to PG&E's outage map.

My true up is in Feb and I can still use 2300+ kWh without accumulating excessive NBCs, so I toggled on grid charging and plan to keep it on till my true up resets.

Why can't Storm Watch get turned on BEFORE the storm actually happens so the PW's can get charged? I'm in Sacramento and 350000 lost power last night. No Storm Watch activation during the day before in anticipation of the overnight storm. Of course, our PW's only had our 20% reserve because it has been overcast for days and barely any solar generation. So we spent the night with no power because Storm Watch didn't get turned on. We have another major storm coming in Sun going into Mon that could be worse. Still no Storm Watch activation.

We got a Storm Watch activation last week that saved us for a power outage but there's rhyme or reason to the activations (or lack of).

Why can't Storm Watch get turned on BEFORE the storm actually happens so the PW's can get charged? I'm in Sacramento and 350000 lost power last night. No Storm Watch activation during the day before in anticipation of the overnight storm. Of course, our PW's only had our 20% reserve because it has been overcast for days and barely any solar generation. So we spent the night with no power because Storm Watch didn't get turned on. We have another major storm coming in Sun going into Mon that could be worse. Still no Storm Watch activation.

We got a Storm Watch activation last week that saved us for a power outage but there's rhyme or reason to the activations (or lack of).
SW only comes on with Red Flag type warnings. I always raise my reserve to 100% in advance of storms. Riding through an outage right now. Power went out last night at around midnight. PWs went down to about 85% until sun came up. At 91% now with solar going to the house and PWs.

If you have Charge from Grid enabled just toggle it on. I usually leave SW off because it often charges during peak. I usually wait to turn it on during Off Peak if I think its probable.

I think it would be good for Tesla to broadcast the SW alert, regardless of your setting. This way you could toggle it on when you felt it was the best time. Also lets you know the powers that be think a bit power interruption event is possible.

If you have Charge from Grid enabled just toggle it on. I usually leave SW off because it often charges during peak. I usually wait to turn it on during Off Peak if I think its probable.

I think it would be good for Tesla to broadcast the SW alert, regardless of your setting. This way you could toggle it on when you felt it was the best time. Also lets you know the powers that be think a bit power interruption event is possible.
Does it count towards peak usage when Storm Watch is active during such times?

Back on Storm Watch. Thankfully it looks like our projected rainfall tomorrow has been reduced and glad we are on higher ground. Early projection had it coming straight at us with 5” total and strong down pours. With these storms coming in one after the other we upped our reserve to 80% after reading @bmah ‘s post about their reserve setting. Didn’t want to find ourselves in the similar situation as @sevenout, us with 3 powerwalls and out of power to run the house lights and frig. Totally understand the frustration of low reserve during Winter and then grid going down without SW activated ahead of time.

BTW my husband did get a notification alert on his phone that SW was activated for us. If you’re not receiving alerts, check your settings.

Last edited: