Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will California and West see Storm Watch in the next few days (2022-12-29)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Storm Watch turned on for us this morning in Lafayette, current settings are 80% reserve, Time-Based Control, no grid charging. I had the 80% reserve set mostly because of our abysmal solar production the past week or so.

I must say I'm quite pleased by the amount of information that is currently given for Storm Watch activations...tapping on the "Storm Watch" notice on the main Powerwall screen in the mobile app now gives the type of event ("High Wind Warning"), with start and end times for the event. None of that information was available in the initial implementation of Storm Watch...this is a huge improvement.

Bruce.
yeah, but the times are way off
For my area, NWS has High Wind warning from Jan 4 10am to Jan 5 4pm
SW shows high wind from Jan 3, 1:11pm to Jan 4 7am

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
If you claimed the full federal Investment Tax Credit on your Powerwalls, they must be charged “>99.9%” by on-site generation for some number of years (5 I think?), else your credit is supposed to be reduced by a pro-rated amount to reflect the percentage they will be charged by renewables.

In practice, I think the IRS ever going back and auditing this is next to nil, unless you’ve got their attention for something else.

Any power added under storm watch would technically fall under the same requirement/restriction, I assume Tesla just figured an occasional grid charge wasn't gonna put anyone in serious jeopardy. Now that you can enable grid charging at will, you basically have storm watch on demand.
Is the ITC credit the 23 or 30% write off people took for installing solar or solar plus storage?

The Storm Watch high winds trigger for us has been indicating upcoming winds from early this a.m. until 2pm today (same as yesterday for us, did save screen shot yesterday when it activated 😁). Given how they are saying the worst winds will be later this afternoon and overnight I’d think it would be extended.

I think it was good that it triggered yesterday morning for us to fill our PowerWalls so we’re set for now at least. With all this continuous days of heavy rain a real possibility that a tree could come down and take out one of the above ground lines in our area and knock out power even before the strong winds come through. Having backup power was our main goal when getting our system, that and charging our two Teslas at home “from the sun”. But understand those on TOU plans might prefer to decide for themselves when to charge from the grid. In our case our export-to-the-grid amount since we got our system has far exceeded any import from the grid so we don’t see the SW grid input as an issue really for these occasional events. It’s been great to run off our panels and PowerWalls and have no additional cost for electricity (except PG&E’s monthly “service” fee) since our system was installed a few years back.

In case you’re not aware, people can easily turn off SW using the app. Click on the Storm Watch text block to get to this screen below.

Attachments

• EF28E852-9E8F-4DB8-87A3-4C54ADBE89F7.png
    EF28E852-9E8F-4DB8-87A3-4C54ADBE89F7.png
    328 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Well sitting here at home checking mail and had some lights on still in the room I’m in. Saw them briefly flicker so checked app. Yep, power went out here. Rain has stopped in our area and everything is calm. Maybe a tree went down or a larger area problem. Located in south Santa Clara County.

D156EC2A-A758-450B-BC7E-25CC1E0F060E.png

Time to check PG&E outage website area. PG&E said no reports yet for our street address, checked Tesla app again and service to house was restored so maybe one of those few second outages we’ve seen here, whew! Hate to be out so soon before the storm hits.

Last edited:
Well sitting here at home checking mail and had some lights on still in the room I’m in. Saw them briefly flicker so checked app. Yep, power went out here. Rain has stopped in our area and everything is calm. Maybe a tree went down or a larger area problem. Located in south Santa Clara County.

View attachment 892250

Time to check PG&E outage website area. PG&E said no reports yet for our street address, checked Tesla app again and service to house was restored so maybe one of those few second outages we’ve seen here, whew! Hate to be out so soon before the storm hits.

I hope the outage is not too long. Glad StormWatch was triggered, and you could top off your PWs. Stay warm and dry.

P.S. I love the fact you had to check the App to verify the power was out!

Last edited:
Reactions: SMAlset
Mine’s off right now. Was surprised to see it not extended. At 97%, minimal house draw. I’m pretty sure this area is expecting high winds tonight. Apple’s weather app (info from National Weather Service) indicates High Wind Warning until 10am Thursday and Flood Watch in effect. I know the Tesla Storm Watch Read Me has more info on what triggers it.

During the last high wind warning in my area storm watch wasn't triggered. A friend of mine lives in the foothills of the mountains here in LA County and he is currently under a winter storm warning and high wind warning, and no storm watch for him either. Seems the only thing that triggers it here is red flag warnings.