Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s August, it must be time to kick off the debate on Winter tyres and wheel sets vs Winter tyres only.

I’m leaning towards the Tesla package (because I’m lazy and it will keep the lease company and insurance company happy)

What would seal the deal would be an idea of the resale value of the wheels when my lease is up (3 more winters).

has anyone seen any stats on that?

I see your in Edinburgh so I’ll watch this with interest...

I’ve spent a good few hours watching various model 3 in snow videos (found one in Canada where they were driving up a hill in all season tyres) and concluded unless I'm trying to hill start in deep snow I should be fine with the normal tires for the few days we normally have snow in central belt... but I’m lucky if it’s too deep I can just stay home :)

• Funny
Reactions: OneTinyFish
I see your in Edinburgh so I’ll watch this with interest...

I’ve spent a good few hours watching various model 3 in snow videos (found one in Canada where they were driving up a hill in all season tyres) and concluded unless I'm trying to hill start in deep snow I should be fine with the normal tires for the few days we normally have snow in central belt... but I’m lucky if it’s too deep I can just stay home :)

I have never had winter tyres fitted in the past but having the SR+ with rear wheel drive only I thought I would give them a go. The car was brilliant all winter in all conditions so can certainly confirm that winter tyres do their job. However, now knowing the car better, I suspect my fears of rear wheel drive issues were influenced by combustion cars with a configuration of powerful engine up front and relatively low weight on the rear wheels. The Model 3 is not short of weight on the rear wheels so lack of traction is nothing like as much of an issue. The general balance of the car and the built in traction control systems work extraordinarily well ... so unless in an area that may experience challenging conditions it's not unreasonable to consider sticking with summer biased tyres like we usually do in this country. Being in a country area I would still make the decision to go with winters because they are so secure and effective on questionable surfaces in wet, slushy or snowy conditions. According to tests a rear wheel drive with winters will outperform an AWD vehicle on "normal" tyres. (Bear in mind that the tyres supplied with a Tesla will not normally be "all season" tyres.)

I’ve used winter tyres (non Tesla) since 2012. They really are great but unless you live in Scotland I think all seasons would be the better choice. Winter tyres are great in snow and slush but British winter is generally just cold and wet. All seasons are still capable in the rare snow days but will be better the rest of the time.

• Informative
Reactions: pow216
I have never had winter tyres fitted in the past but having the SR+ with rear wheel drive only I thought I would give them a go. The car was brilliant all winter in all conditions so can certainly confirm that winter tyres do their job. However, now knowing the car better, I suspect my fears of rear wheel drive issues were influenced by combustion cars with a configuration of powerful engine up front and relatively low weight on the rear wheels. The Model 3 is not short of weight on the rear wheels so lack of traction is nothing like as much of an issue. The general balance of the car and the built in traction control systems work extraordinarily well ... so unless in an area that may experience challenging conditions it's not unreasonable to consider sticking with summer biased tyres like we usually do in this country. Being in a country area I would still make the decision to go with winters because they are so secure and effective on questionable surfaces in wet, slushy or snowy conditions. According to tests a rear wheel drive with winters will outperform an AWD vehicle on "normal" tyres. (Bear in mind that the tyres supplied with a Tesla will not normally be "all season" tyres.)
I’m in an SR+ too and it’s the rear wheel drive mixed with half a mile of uphill to the main roads through our housing estate (ungritted of course) that has me looking. That and a suspicion that this year’s snowboarding is more likely to be Aonach Mor than Alpe d’Huez.

I’ve been sold on winter tyres ever since a spell living beyond the snow gates on the A7 a few years ago, but I took delivery of my M3 in late December and couldn’t find any good tyre deals in mid winter (that and my Scottish stinginess not wanting to pay for a half season). Last winter was really mild though. The year before was a community effort to dig out that half mile after 3 days housebound by ‘the beast from the east’. (Remember how weird it felt to be stuck at home as long as that!)

eBay shows 18” wheels and used tyres going for £250. Using man maths, that value will stay the same for ever - may even rise as more M3 on the roads in 3 years ;-) so discount the £450 per wheel for the Tesla package to £200. A decent winter/all season that isn’t noisy or high rolling resistance is £150+. Being able to change the wheels myself would save overall over three years assuming I’m going to have to change the summers out for tread wear at least once over the period

Yes I’ve got a set of after market 19” Wheels wrapped in Michelin Alpin rubber ready.
I’ve used winter wheels since 2010 and very happy with the improvement in grip other provide. I’m sure I could manage without if I had to.

I’m quite looking forward to seeing how the ride softens with the extra rubber form 19 over the standard 20” wheels.

6CC94734-49D0-4A15-8124-ED83AF9D1821.jpeg
18E5ECED-FDA6-44D5-A8B6-40AE48BA5F6D.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes I’ve got a set of after market 19” Wheels wrapped in Michelin Alpin rubber ready.
I’ve used winter wheels since 2010 and very happy with the improvement in grip other provide. I’m sure I could manage without if I had to.

I’m quite looking forward to seeing how the ride softens with the extra rubber form 19 over the standard 20” wheels.

View attachment 572083 View attachment 572084
They are nice! Where did you source the wheels from?

I’m in an SR+ too and it’s the rear wheel drive mixed with half a mile of uphill to the main roads through our housing estate (ungritted of course) that has me looking. That and a suspicion that this year’s snowboarding is more likely to be Aonach Mor than Alpe d’Huez.

Ah well ... looks like an easy decision then!! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well the SR+ performs on winters.

I discovered the value of winter tyres soon after moving back to Aberdeenshire from the south coast. Even with no snow, below 7c they're far better and give you much more confidence in limited grip situations even wet roads, especially flooded roads.
I've got a secondhand set of standard 18" going to get them power coated black to distinguish them. And now waiting for the alpin 4 or 5's to come down in price in September as the tyre firms try to get rid of last years tyre stock.
(I believe there's a law in Germany that you can't sell new tyres made over 3 years ago)

From Oder Parts UK:
Winter Tyres only with fitting = 1,614.00 GBP Inc. VAT (235/35R20 Pirelli WINTER Sottozero 3)

Unfortunately, at the moment, we do not supply 20” Winter wheel & tyre package on the UK/European Market.

What alternatives are there? @Gatsojon ?

From Oder Parts UK:
Winter Tyres only with fitting = 1,614.00 GBP Inc. VAT (235/35R20 Pirelli WINTER Sottozero 3)

Unfortunately, at the moment, we do not supply 20” Winter wheel & tyre package on the UK/European Market.

What alternatives are there? @Gatsojon ?
Well, I bought:
- Set 19" Varro VD25X Wheels off a member here for £700
- Michelin Pilot Alpin PA5 - 235/40 R19 from Camskill for £613 (had £75 discount on) less £100 Michelin cash-back = £513
- German TPMS from eBay £75 (cheaper are available but these had good feedback as working on Model 3s)
- Fitted and balanced with black weights at my local independent tyre place for £60.

So £1,350 all in. But it was a bit of a faff over just buying a set ready made. All ready now for the winter, should we have one!

I've always bought a separate set of rims for the winter tyres rather than get the tyres swapped over onto the same rims.

Last edited:
You'll have much more of a choice of winter and all season tyres if you go with 19" or 18" instead of 20" and you'll get the added benefits of them weighing less (so better efficiency), costing less and giving you a more comfortable ride.

Winter and all-season tyres aren't just about maintaining traction in snow and ice. When the temperature falls below a certain point, the overall grip of a summer tyre can drop off a cliff. Your braking distance in the wet will increase dramatically. In an emergency stop situation, the right tyre can be the difference between you being able to stop & steer safely or hitting something.