Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Word is that there will be a 3.3 second car soon!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a quick chat with someone at Tesla about how amazing the P85+ is and he hinted that there will be one coming out in the near future that will do zero to sixty in 3.3 seconds. He wouldn't give me anymore details.
Well, the 120kWh battery might do that. If we get a similar jump in performance as we see from 60->85. Add to that some P120+ tuning and this sounds doable.

Just think how long the line would be at the super swapper station, if they offered this 3.3 second package, which consisted of a 120 kwh battery and software, for existing P85/P85+ cars.

I think this is only possible w/ AWD. I had assumed they would debut that option in Model X and then bring it out in a future version of Model S. I still believe this.

I'd imagine the Model X powertrain development would be done by the end of this year (a guess of course) with the rest of the time working on other issues (interior..etc). Wonder if they would risk cutting into Model X sales with an AWD Model S launch coming soon though. I don't think it would hurt as the sales would stay within Tesla.

I'd only be interested if it could sustain current p85 levels of power for multiple laps around a road course...

There was a thread here somewhere that speculated that an AWD version could have different gearing on the front and rear wheels to allow for more room on the top end w/o a transmission. I assume that might enable more sustained high speed as well.