Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy again FSD today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And I've been thinking about that too. I think I'll just keep my car and cancel my order. My car has everything I need, including FSD (even beta!).

If I get a new car, the payment would stay the same, but I'd roughly still have to spend:
$2400 in sales tax
2k for PPF
$600 - 800 for tint (going off memory)
Increased annual property taxes
Increased insurance
Considering replacing turbines (2k?),
Plus I'd be giving away 4 brand new $1600 tires to carvana that im not getting credit for.
If you keep you're car and ignore the limited warranty expiring you risk spending more in case of any damage

And your battery's capacity is going to reduce somewhere along the line so you're gonna end up paying a fortune to get that replaced
I mean, sure. I kept my Tacoma for 10 years until some dumbass kid rear ended and totaled it.
I don't expect to keep my Tesla for 10 years, but I wonder if freaking out about the 50k mile warranty is really warranted.

Basic AP isn't available anymore though, right? Wasn't that an early product? I thought all cars now ship with TACC (basically just dynamic cruise control). If you want to stay in your lane you need EAP now, or so I thought.

Basic AP isn't available anymore though, right? Wasn't that an early product? I thought all cars now ship with TACC (basically just dynamic cruise control). If you want to stay in your lane you need EAP now, or so I thought.
No. AP ships with all cars. It is TACC+lane keeping drivers assist.

EAP is a $6,000 option that gives you the ability to do enable auto lane change with NoA, Summon, Smart Summon, and Autopark...basically lane change is the only valuable addition there.

FSD gives you what EAP does plus, Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control, basically can stop at lights/stop signs. Driving on City Streets is coming soon to the regular FSD stack, but you have the option to enter FSD Beta, if you qualify and are accepted, which allows the car to "autosteer on city streets".

No. AP ships with all cars. It is TACC+lane keeping drivers assist.

EAP is a $6,000 option that gives you the ability to do enable auto lane change with NoA, Summon, Smart Summon, and Autopark...basically lane change is the only valuable addition there.

FSD gives you what EAP does plus, Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control, basically can stop at lights/stop signs. Driving on City Streets is coming soon to the regular FSD stack, but you have the option to enter FSD Beta, if you qualify and are accepted, which allows the car to "autosteer on city streets".
Thanks. I've only ever driven with FSD so I went off (bad) memory. Quick question: with AP and no automatic lane change, I assume it also won't take on-ramps and exits by itself? You're right as far as EAP is concerned. The auto lane change is the only value there for sure. I believe I've auto-parked twice in two years, and used summon once as a gimmick to freak out some friends.

Thanks. I've only ever driven with FSD so I went off (bad) memory. Quick question: with AP and no automatic lane change, I assume it also won't take on-ramps and exits by itself? You're right as far as EAP is concerned. The auto lane change is the only value there for sure. I believe I've auto-parked twice in two years, and used summon once as a gimmick to freak out some friends.
AP will not take an exit ramp nor will it change lanes, even by activating the turn signal. You have to disengage AP to make any turn and then re-engage.

Yes. Definitely some issues on the current version, but still amazing when it's not glitching. If you lower your expectations a bit, and anticipate some of the hiccups, it's a lot easier to live with. In fact, I think the entire commute on FSD lowers my BP and keeps me calmer. The alternative is driving myself in rage-mode in todays sh!t-show traffic.

In my case it is not hypothetical. I've ordered two Teslas this year, paid $10K for FSD on the first, and did not order FSD on the second.

Our Y went on order just days before the 10K to 12K FSD price increase. Somehow we got a huge delivery date pull-in (from July to March) so we've been driving it quite a while. But we tended to get mid-90s for Safety Score, don't drive all that much, and seldom on Navigate on Autopilot, so did not actually get FSD Beta download until mid-June when the big expansion of users happened.

FSD Beta is fascinating, but the city street behavior is really annoying (very jerky) even when it is (usually) quite safe. I run it nearly all the time, but it is out of curiosity, and hoping to help the development, not because it is a better way to get around town.

So for our model 3, currently with delivery forecast in October or November, we have not yet put FSD on the order. If Tesla raises the price above $12K before the end of the year, we'll be even less likely to add it.

Reactions: StephanB