Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy again FSD today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD = $200/mo. Over 2 years that’s $4800.

So I certainly wouldn’t recommend you buy it for $12k. If you want it, just subscribe.

If I were in your position I would subscribe because I like FSD.
This is pretty good advice.

I’d still fork out $12k. I hate paying “rent”.

My current Y I paid $10k for FSD, drive 2,500 miles a month, and use NoA everywhere. 99% AP, even on city streets. Then again I’m in the Bay Area and it works well here, at least for my use case

Nonetheless, to answer your question, hands down, YES

FSD = $200/mo. Over 2 years that’s $4800.

So I certainly wouldn’t recommend you buy it for $12k. If you want it, just subscribe.

If I were in your position I would subscribe because I like FSD.
I agree that $12k is way too much for what you get. But if you plan on keeping car long term, you will at some point want to buy FSD and not do the Subscription because the odds are the cars will need new FSD hardware, which is not included with the subscription.

Tesla has been selling FSD future capabilities for many, many, many years now. Nothing sketchy about it and no different than investing in a new company on the hope that they succeed.
New companies CEO's dont often give very specific timelines (repeatedly..over..and over) as to when to expect very specific functionality that you've paid for.

We are talking about FSD. A paid feature/option. Not angel funding investing.

Dont ask me..ask the FTC and the CA DMV the difference.

Reactions: GalacticHero
No, I would not buy FSD if I bought a Tesla today. I don't think I'd buy EAP either. (I bought both on my 2018 M3.)
Let me just add, having used the systems for four years and FSD beta for the last few months, I don't see them completing FSD on any useful time scale. As for EAP, most of the features are no better than party tricks. I have the "Overtake passing" turned completely off on NoAP. After trying to use it for several years I realized I was overriding more of its proposed lane changes than accepting. I'm still using the "Exit passing lane" feature, but often hit the auto-lane change to get back over before it decides to do it. In fact, the biggest thing I'd miss would be the Auto-lane change, because it's much smoother than disengaging, changing lanes, then reengaging. However, it's not worth the EAP price. I would also miss the "Chime on green light" feature. That is even nicer in FSD beta, since it will resume forward progress instead of waiting for you to make it go again. Again though, not worth the price.

Reactions: Resist and 2101Guy
I'm getting ready to sell my Model 3 Performance w/ FSD (beta, even). I took delivery in late 2020. I paid 6k for FSD.

My current order is due probably November. I'm not so sure if I'll spend $12k on what I've been driving with for almost this entire calendar year. It's just not worth it. I end up almost never using city driving. For now I just selected EAP because I could never imagine driving long distances without it. But I'm not seeing the use case for city driving (anymore).

Would you buy it today if you'd only have the car for 2 or 3 years?
I would not buy FSD today at the $12k price that it is today. FSD to me, is essentially worthless until it can drive the car by itself. Did it once because it was only $5k, but $12k for an unknown amount of time to actually get the thing that you're supposed to get, not a chance.

I have the $7k locked in price on my cybertruck reservation so hopefully they still honor that. Probably wont buy it otherwise. If true full capability FSD ever came out i'd buy it on loan, and have the robocab network pay for it. $12k is too much for me to fork over.

I have the $7k locked in price on my cybertruck reservation so hopefully they still honor that. Probably wont buy it otherwise. If true full capability FSD ever came out i'd buy it on loan, and have the robocab network pay for it. $12k is too much for me to fork over.
Per Elon, the Cybertruck price will be increasing, and I bet so will FSD. But yeah, FSD is ridiculously overpriced at $12k and I wouldn't pay that even if it was feature complete and approved by regulators. Unless....they let us at least transfer it over for free (or a small fee), should our car be totaled in an accident. How pissed would you be if your FSD car that you bought say 4 years ago is hit and totaled not being your fault and now you have to buy a new Tesla and pay the stupidly expensive FSD price.

Per Elon, the Cybertruck price will be increasing, and I bet so will FSD. But yeah, FSD is ridiculously overpriced at $12k and I wouldn't pay that even if it was feature complete and approved by regulators. Unless....they let us at least transfer it over for free (or a small fee), should our car be totaled in an accident. How pissed would you be if your FSD car that you bought say 4 years ago is hit and totaled not being your fault and now you have to buy a new Tesla and pay the stupidly expensive FSD price.
12k is nothing if the full robocab tesla network was operational. Just 12k for not that is trash. Its definitely my opinion on FSD, but if the car cant drive itself without me in it then its completely useless to me. Regular autopilot is what i use on highway and that is enough.

Reactions: 2101Guy
12k is nothing if the full robocab tesla network was operational. Just 12k for not that is trash. Its definitely my opinion on FSD, but if the car cant drive itself without me in it then its completely useless to me. Regular autopilot is what i use on highway and that is enough.
And yet regulators will never approve it until it's 100% safe in all weather conditions and all types of roads. If Elon really wants to help humanity then he wouldn't put such a high price tag on safety, $12k is ridiculously expensive. And since most people can't even afford a Tesla without FSD, raising the price of FSD just pushes even more away from their cars.

And yet regulators will never approve it until it's 100% safe in all weather conditions and all types of roads. If Elon really wants to help humanity then he wouldn't put such a high price tag on safety, $12k is ridiculously expensive. And since most people can't even afford a Tesla without FSD, raising the price of FSD just pushes even more away from their cars.
Perhaps offer free (if in beta) or highly reduced auto insurance in exchange for signing up.