Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy again FSD today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only reason I have it is because I got in the 6k crowd. Would never touch it for 12k knowing how crude and not useful it is for everyday driving. Right now its a fun thing to test, but its usually more of a chore than normal driving.

I might possibly pay the 12k but only if they grandfathered you into it and could transfer it to any new car, otherwise at 12k the monthly makes way more sense if your going to keep the car 3-4 years since I would only keep it on for like a month to test the new beta then turn it off.

Reactions: mtndrew1
No!

It's made for those who are born beta testers, but now there's a cheaper subscription option, so paying upfront does not make sense.

I paid upfront because there was no subscription at that time, but I seldom use all the features:

I only used summons a few times to see how bad it was, and I haven't been using it for years.

Auto Park doesn't work most of the time, and if I use it, I get honked by others because it's too slow. Another feature that I don't use for years.

I tried Navigation on Autopilot a few times to see how bad it was, and I've turned it off for years.

I tried FSD beta a few times and turned it off for months.

Thus, the features that I have been using are lane-keeping and cruise! I've learned my lesson. I am not paying FSD no matter how cheap it is.

While I generally tend to be rather harsh on Tesla for charging for features that are basically _alpha_ and not even beta, I do have to disagree with a few points above:

EAP and NAP are generally stable and work well.

Autopark, when it does work, works pretty fast. Maybe a little too fast for me to feel comfortable. It has also worked well, on the few occasions that it has. (this also means my sample size is small)

On the other points, 100% agreed.

Reactions: StephanB
Y'all are echoing many of my thoughts and concerns. The only reason I'm even thinking of selling my car is because I can get $50k for it, I'm 2k miles from running out of basic warranty, and an equivalent new car w/ FSD would be the same monthly payment for me.

Honest question: all things considered, would you buy a new one in my situation?

Oh, and I don't even like the new uberturbine wheels! 😂
Yes, I'd buy a new one, but I'd leave FSD "on the shelf". At $200/month, it would take you 5 years of continuous use to just break even. Leave it off the new car, reduce your monthly payment, and subscribe when you need or want it.

Yes, I'd buy a new one, but I'd leave FSD "on the shelf". At $200/month, it would take you 5 years of continuous use to just break even. Leave it off the new car, reduce your monthly payment, and subscribe when you need or want it.
That's pretty much the same conclusion I've arrived at too. IF I even go ahead with this swap.

IMO - The only reason to buy FSD is to get enrolled into FSD beta. You can't get the beta automatically when you subscribe FSD anytime you'd like, unfortunately.

Your current 2020 is newer than the 2018 I’m replacing so your decision is tougher than mine. I have a sagging daytime running light and the screen is starting to delaminate at the bezel edge. Time for me to upgrade before these things get too noticeable and need replacement. The joys of early adopting….. I currently have FSD Beta and find it useless. I don’t think the current hardware stack is capable of level 4. No way would I pay $12k for FSD using the HW3. HW4, maybe.

EAP is fine for most people. If you're too lazy to brake at a stop sign and would pay 6k extra for it I wonder why someone gave you a license in the first place..
I think it still brakes by default. It just won't continue
Your current 2020 is newer than the 2018 I’m replacing so your decision is tougher than mine. I have a sagging daytime running light and the screen is starting to delaminate at the bezel edge. Time for me to upgrade before these things get too noticeable and need replacement. The joys of early adopting….. I currently have FSD Beta and find it useless. I don’t think the current hardware stack is capable of level 4. No way would I pay $12k for FSD using the HW3. HW4, maybe.
Well, if you order now you'll get the HW4 w/ Ryzen chip so that might help. Good luck with the sale. It's a good time to sell though, so you have that going for you. 👍

FSD and EAP will update over time to higher levels of autonomy and hopefully someday to level 4 autonomy. But by that time you’ll be retired and have become a boomer

• Funny
I'm getting ready to sell my Model 3 Performance w/ FSD (beta, even). I took delivery in late 2020. I paid 6k for FSD.

My current order is due probably November. I'm not so sure if I'll spend $12k on what I've been driving with for almost this entire calendar year. It's just not worth it. I end up almost never using city driving. For now I just selected EAP because I could never imagine driving long distances without it. But I'm not seeing the use case for city driving (anymore).

Would you buy it today if you'd only have the car for 2 or 3 years?
I would go with EAP at 6K, FSD is a joke at 12K (and I have it, was included on my car used).