Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you give up free supercharging for life?

Would you give up free supercharging for life?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks have 2 positions depending on their use of superchargers. If it's right next door and not out of the way then why not use it, you prepaid for it. No one should call anyone cheap for using supercharger. They're just smart and utilizing what they prepaid for. If they have to drive 30 miles away just to fill up the battery then that's a different story. If Tesla have their way they would charge all of us to use the supercharger network. Think about it, it's like filling up at a gas station. It is naive to think people should only use supercharger for long trips. Tesla's goal is more ambitious than that! Anyhow, I see both arguments and let's just say everyone has a good reason for using or not using it. End of discussion.
Not exactly. There are two categories of Superchargers: Urban and Travel. The urban ones are for those who don't have charging facilities at home (they charge at a slower rate), and the Travel ones are for trips (of course both could be used in emergencies). It's polite to use them as designated.

Not exactly. There are two categories of Superchargers: Urban and Travel. The urban ones are for those who don't have charging facilities at home (they charge at a slower rate), and the Travel ones are for trips (of course both could be used in emergencies). It's polite to use them as designated.

I wasn’t aware of any purposeful speed difference between superchargers (other than V2 and V3). I know there are certain SCs that have a lower 72kW rate but I thought that was just because of the electrical infrastructure for that particular location. That would be an interesting reason for a lower charge rate...I’ll pay more attention to where those 72kW SCs are located.
The 5 SCs located within a 50 mile radius of me are all 120kW.

Oh please don't get technical. We all use the supercharger one form or another. You can call it anyway you want it but folks use them as they need not for the purpose of traveling or not.

It was in all of the web site "ad copy" at the time, and Elon is even on record stating this. Look at the video where they introduce battery swapping, and Elon says "Supercharging is, and always will be free". There was nothing I could find in my original sales papers, so I will have to try the Wayback Machine and see if I can find something from that era.
I remember this as well. I thought it came a bit after I bought mine (delivery 5 years ago today, btw!) so maybe it’s more in the 2015 timeframe. It might have even been when they first introduced pay to charge.

BTW, I still get my flu shot every year because of you. (That should confuse the hell out of everyone).

Reactions: mknox
It’s unlikely they can make changes now. They have been clear the unlimited supercharging is for the lifetime of the vehicle. If they did this it would significantly reduce the resale value of a majority of their vehicles on the road, and piss off a majority of their customers.
Actually I thought @whitex's suggestion was kind of brilliant. It hasn't been true for a long time that every Model X or S has unlimited supercharging for life, only older ones. So it's not like a buyer on the used market can assume that. If Tesla were to offer me the deal @whitex suggested, where I get to transfer my FUSC to my (hypothetical) new car, but it becomes non-transferable as a result, it would provide value to me (I get to keep FUSC for many additional years) and to Tesla (they don't have that FUSC liability on their books forever). As you say, it reduces the resale value of my old car; I just have to decide for myself if the reduction in value is worth it. I can't see how an opt-in deal could possibly "piss off a majority of their customers", though. If you don't like it, don't opt in.
Folks have 2 positions depending on their use of superchargers. If it's right next door and not out of the way then why not use it, you prepaid for it.
I tend to agree with this, on the other hand for me it would really have to be right next door. I have a SC a few miles from me and after using it once or twice for local charging I quickly concluded that the value of the "free" charge doesn't offset the inconvenience, compared to home

Reactions: Jack007
I saved close to $16,000 using Superchargers with my Model S over the last 5 years. 60% of the miles I drive are long distance where I use Superchargers. For me it would be a big deal giving that up.
I pay approx 10 cents per KWh at home, I get about 3 miles per KWh. To save $16K I would have to drive 480,000 miles on superchargers. That is quiet a lot of miles! If only 60% are driven on superchargers, that's 800,000 miles I'd have to put on the car for me to save $16K in charging. Even if you use supercharger rates at $0.30, that's 266,666 miles on the car (60% of which on supercharger) before it's worth that much!

What is the mileage of your car and what rate do you pay for your electricity?

Last edited:
on the other hand for me it would really have to be right next door. I have a SC a few miles from me and after using it once or twice for local charging I quickly concluded that the value of the "free" charge doesn't offset the inconvenience, compared to home
^THAT, and even if just next door, having to go unplug it to avoid idle charges might not be worth it. My wife has NEVER been to a supercharger, or any outside charger ever, and she sometimes drives more than 200 miles in a day (she will charge for few hours mid day at home). I even suggested it that on days when she uses 160 miles in the morning, she could charge for free at a supercharger nearby while having a starbucks, but it's not worth her time. Charging at home allows her to comfortably drive around in an S75D, while charging it to 90% (227 rated miles) and on the long driving days she charges mid day for 3-4 hrs (at 48A). I also only ever used superchargers for long distance travel, not worth my time to local supercharge either.

In Australia it is a no brainer. Our power is amongst the most expensive in the western world. We have supercharging in the city at the service centre 5 km from my home and I am retired. I paid a 2grand premium on my car which includes free for life. After 4.5 years I am just about recouping my outlay, and expect to continue long into the future. I have AP1, so why would I want to upgrade? There is just zero incentive other than perhaps more comfortable seats and better fit and finish. My car has my custom made timber decor and consequently is one of a kind. Totally unique.
I go in, relax with a coffee, check my emails, read a book on my iPad- very relaxing.

I pay approx 10 cents per KWh at home, I get about 3 miles per KWh. To save $16K I would have to drive 480,000 miles on superchargers. That is quiet a lot of miles! If only 60% are driven on superchargers, that's 800,000 miles I'd have to put on the car for me to save $16K in charging. Even if you use supercharger rates at $0.30, that's 266,666 miles on the car (60% of which on supercharger) before it's worth that much!

Making a comparison of paying for supercharging vs. not paying at superchargers it makes sense to use the rate at which you would pay for the supercharging, which is $0.28 for where David is:
Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 5.19.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 5.31.17 AM.png

Unless he goes to my country frequently, in which case it gets a little more confusing to calculate:

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 5.35.48 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 5.37.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 5.37.06 AM.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: dgpcolorado

We are at .067kWh it would take 717,488 to save $16k by using SuperChargers. I am not certain even my S100D is going to make it 717,488 miles...and that would only be if every electron came from a SuperCharger. I am always a little skeptical of statements like that unless the owner is paying $x.x for kWh and has driven well over a million miles. hmmmmmm

Reactions: Oldschool496
I am wondering how it is that cheap: are you using a different rate for night use? or an EV discount? If this graphic is accurate it says Georgia is at $0.115 and this is a few years ago.

View attachment 390029
Indeed I am. Jackson EMC. EV/Rate is a wonderful thing..... my monthly levelized rate plan is $377 for two Tesla’s one driven 3,000+ miles a month and one ~1,200 a month and our house which is 13,500sqf

Indeed I am. Jackson EMC. EV/Rate is a wonderful thing..... my monthly levelized rate plan is $377 for two Tesla’s one driven 3,000+ miles a month and one ~1,200 a month and our house which is 13,500sqf

Ok, I just went through your contract: That is an awesome rate for night charging, I wish BCHydro would do something like that. However, If you were required to charge between 3 and 8 pm Monday through Friday, you would be paying at a rate higher than the supercharger rate: $0.343/kWh!

(That is one big-ass house by the way :cool:)

Ok, I just went through your contract: That is an awesome rate for night charging, I wish BCHydro would do something like that. However, If you were required to charge between 3 and 8 pm Monday through Friday, you would be paying at a rate higher than the supercharger rate: $0.343/kWh!

(That is one big-ass house by the way :cool:)

Which is exactly why my cars start charging at 3:00am. :eek::D I have my A/C units start cooling to 65 at 1:00 on weekdays during the months that the 3pm-8pm rate is in affect, June - September, and cut off from 3:00 to 8:00 and back on to cool to 65 in the bedrooms again for sleeping.

Making a comparison of paying for supercharging vs. not paying at superchargers it makes sense to use the rate at which you would pay for the supercharging, which is $0.28 for where David is:
View attachment 390021 View attachment 390022

Unless he goes to my country frequently, in which case it gets a little more confusing to calculate:

View attachment 390023
This. For those of us who Supercharge on road trips the value of FUSC is the cumulative cost of each Supercharging session if we had to pay for it. It is difficult to calculate in states and provinces that bill by the minute, as opposed to billing by kWh. One also needs to deduct the energy obtained at home, or from destination charging, from the road trip total.

In general, longer road trips get greater benefit per mile from free Supercharging than shorter ones because they have a reduced proportion of miles charged at home. However, there isn't any "one size fits all" calculation that can be made.

I made a 3100 mile road trip in September. Of the energy used, perhaps 950 kWh, only about 50 kWh came from home and a bit less than that from a single night of destination charging at an RV park. The rest came from Supercharging. A very short road trip of 400 miles would have a much higher proportion charged at home.

[Like many here at TMC, my home charging comes from solar panels so I don't pay a per kWh rate. Just a flat monthly service charge of $20.]

Last edited:
This. For those of us who Supercharge on road trips the value of FUSC is the cumulative cost of each Supercharging session if we had to pay for it. It is difficult to calculate in states and provinces that bill by the minute, as opposed to billing by kWh. One also needs to deduct the energy obtained at home, or from destination charging, from the road trip total.

In general, longer road trips get greater benefit per mile from free Supercharging than shorter ones because they have a reduced proportion of miles charged at home. However, there isn't any "one size fits all" calculation that can be made.
Mostly correct, but bear in mind that when you are on an extended road trip, many of the overnight stops will be at destination chargers of some description (e.g. perhaps not Tesla destination chargers), reducing the percentage of Supercharging needed.

FWIW, the way I do trips is:
1. 100% charge at home.
2. First Supercharge (usually a lunch stop)
3. Second Supercharge (might be a lunch stop depending upon start time)
4. Third Supercharge
5. Fourth Supercharge
6. Fifth Supercharge
7. Destination charge to 100% (Destination between 600 and 700 miles).
Longer trips just repeat, although if I am not in a hurry, I might only do four Supercharges in a day.
Sometimes the destination charging is at a Supercharger, but more often it's not.