Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you give up free supercharging for life?

Would you give up free supercharging for life?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The simplicity of not worrying about payment is the best.
I have one FUSC car (my Model S) and one pay-per-use (my wife's Model 3). Practically speaking, charging the Model 3 is just as zipless as charging the S. I guess it depends on what you mean by "worry about". I don't much worry about ten bucks for the occasional charge-up, but, as they say, YMMV.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
You seem to have a rather unusual situation benefiting from the superchargers more than most people. Congratulations on having a Model S with over 225,000 miles btw! It is largest mileage I've read about outside of people using Tesla's as taxis. Are you still on the original battery? If yes, what is your degradation after than many miles, and 70% of them using supercharging (supposedly DC charging degrades the battery faster)?

Yes first battery and it's very healthy. Balancing is 3-4 mV. Aprox 11% degradation in range. Performance (0-60) is unchanged. Considering how much supercharging I use and living in a rather hot area, it is really amazing how well the battery is holding up. The rest of the car is doing fine as well. Small issues, but nothing major.

The free supercharging was definitely a calculated part of purchasing the car. In 18 months ive driven almost 70k miles for work and would say 75% of my charging is on the supercharging network. I travel multiple states for work and use them extensively. So far, I have gotten just over $2k in "free supercharging" based on the 13 cents per KW I pay at home.

Does free supercharging affect how you deduct mileage driven for work from federal taxes?

Does free supercharging affect how you deduct mileage driven for work from federal taxes?
I suspect that some of the mileage is intended as a write off for depreciation and some as actual fuel costs. Logically speaking, one should only get a partial credit if fuel costs don’t exist, but I don’t think there’s a procedure for that at this time.

Reactions: MXn00b

No. I'm sure in the future it may be discussed but as of now it hasn't caused issues.

Now, someone from my HR and someone pretty high up the chain asked me specifically about that because our car allowance is in two parts, mileage and a fixed payment. The verbiage is for gas, and they called me out on it. Fortunately, I have never driven a gas car for company work, it was previously ALWAYS a diesel, and nothing was ever stated. I made it very clear, the price was built into the car and I had already paid for my "gas" when I bought the car, and I still have to pay when I do charge at home. I have heard nothing since then, and I am a top performer so I do not see them pushing the issue. If I was a problem, I'm sure they could push.

• Helpful
Reactions: MXn00b
I suspect that some of the mileage is intended as a write off for depreciation and some as actual fuel costs. Logically speaking, one should only get a partial credit if fuel costs don’t exist, but I don’t think there’s a procedure for that at this time.

My fuel costs was built into the price of the car is how I have always felt.

"Fuel" for our cars may be free or cheap, but we paid a lot of money for the privilege of driving electric on trips, much more than we had previously paid for vehicles. There's also the potential need to replace the battery pack eventually, after the eight year battery warranty expires. I'm not sweating the IRS mileage deduction.

Reactions: David99 and Jack007
In Europe, where many countries are closing down their nuclear generation with no plan [except more NG] for baseload replacement, I reckon electricity prices will probably double in the next 10 years.

Now SuC is 32c/kWh, so if it rises steadily to twice that by 2029, avg. price over next 10 years = 48c/kWh

I aim to keep the car for 20 years, so will not give up FUSC for anything.

Yep, have PV but getting it linked to public parking along opposite side of street is an unsolved problem currently. City has a pilot program for 11kW charging posts on sidewalk but would also charge $0.30/kWh. Hence importance of FUSC.

Reactions: jgs
the value of 'free supercharging' is overblown.

• If you drive 15,000 miles a year and half the time you supercharge, what is that worth?
  • 7,500 miles at 320 wh/mile average = 2400 wh used at SC*1.3
  • factor in 30% parasitic loss and you're at 3120 wh used.

What are your alternatives?

1. pay to charge at home - at 10 cents per wh, this is $312/year. Over 5 years (average car ownership) that's $1600. That's not much on an $80,000 car that will overall cost you about $40,000 over those 5 years (depreciation, home charging, maintenance).

2. pay to charge at supercharger - at 30 cents per wh, this is $940/year. Over 5 years this is $4700. Starting to add up, but certainly not a dealbreaker yet on an $80,000 car.

These examples assume 50% supercharging...most people are around 10%. For most people over 5 years supercharging is only really worth $300 to 900 total, or in other words peanuts. Brilliant marketing ploy though.

Before someone chimes in to say 'i live in a condo and have to supercharge 100% of the time AND I drive 30,000 miles a year'. Great. You're an extreme example and are maybe the one person in 100 for whom free supercharging for life will sway your purchase decision. Fortunately for you, free supercharging for life does virtually nothing to increase the value/price of used Teslas so you'll always be advantaged by buying an older Model S/X