Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 Model S 70D with a little over 31K miles, and I'm still on the original Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. I have the coil suspension as well.

Every year I've had the annual maintenance done at the Tesla service department, and I've just had them do what they felt was needed. Both times they did the alignment, but I don't remember the status of the rotation.

I do regularly check the tires for uneven wear and I haven't seen it. Uneven wear is a pretty know issue with the Tesla Model S. Or at least I've been led to believe it is so I religiously check it.

As to pressure I try to keep it at 45 PSI. It does lower during the winter a bit, but I don't bother with it as long as it doesn't go under 40.

I absolutely love the traction of the tires in the cold/wet, and my only complaint has been road noise. But, that's a bigger issue with the car itself than the tires.

I should note that most of my miles are highway miles. So it's not like they get beat up on city streets. I drive fairly aggressively though with fast starts and fast cornering.

Now I don't kiss my tires, but if any tires deserved a kiss they would. :)

They certainly don't give me nightmares of sliding off the road like the tires I have on my Jeep Wrangler unlimited.

Should I be buying a different tire or is there no way to avoid this in a 75d? I am not a heavy foot and rarely speed.

I also drive an S75D. I rarely speed, but sometimes accelerate ...um... briskly TO speed. And I live on a gravel road, so can't go anywhere without several miles of that first. My car was built in October, and I have 22,000 miles on it. Just had my first service, and no alignment needed. SC did note the tires were getting worn, though. I declined getting a quote, since there's no mileage warranty, and no road hazard coverage, when buying tires from Tesla. I'm set to get new tires (from Big-O) as soon as I get home (I'm still 1100 miles away from home).

So is your wear unusual? Sounds like it to me. Your mileage may vary.... o_O

With a username of "fasteddie", I don't think you can plausibly claim to "rarely speed" and not have a "heavy foot" :)
OTOH, my past experience with Goodyear tires on my Porsche has been very poor. I just don't think they make very good tires.
I've been running the Michelins (and Pirelli winter tires) and have good results with them.
If you have RWD, they tend to wear out more (on acceleration, not speed).
Oh my god that was funny!

Oh I'm sure there's a measured difference. I worked as a sound engineer for about ten years. This is both a blessing in that I'm very quickly able to find frequencies resonating oddly, and a curse in that I'm very quickly able to find frequencies resonating oddly. :) To my ears I hear no difference, but those ears are getting older every day.

Any difference in noise is easily masked in my opinion by other atmospheric noises (wind noise, other vehicle engines/tires) or internal noises (conversation, radio). The non-foam ones are $139 and the foam ones were around $250 each. A third of a decibel isn't worth $111 and the inability to easily have leaks patched, IMO.
Do you have any thoughts on what kind of practical sound dampening steps a person could take? without ripping door trim off and all of that?

By the way, I used a tractor tire repair kit on my performance foam tire, which meant I got to stab a bigger hole into the tire and shove rubber gunk inside of it.... and it's been doing great.... it's not quiet anymore though because I also followed it up with a little sealant fix a flat spray.... It's kind of like having a slightly stuffy eardrum on one side, but I'm going to get a few more thousand miles on these tires! Definitely made me appreciate the foam tires though... it definitely makes a difference with certain frequencies.

2016 refresh September car. Spring suspension. Rear tires wear pretty even front tires wear down with the inside tread on the tire wearing faster. Checked with service center they aligned them twice a year. Do I need to go more often for alignment and is there a cost for Tesla to do that? I keep the tries at 45 psi religiously.
That's pretty amazing that you are wearing that fast. What is the official measurement on the wear? Do you wait until the safety band is flush? Also, @fasteddie7 are you morbidly obese? If so, I'd like to make a fat joke about how fast your tires wear.

53,000 miles with tread to spare at 3/32” - Michelin Primacy OEMs S85.

versus:

19,000 miles so far, worn to 4/32” - Goodyear Eagle Touring OEMs S90D.

When these wear out at maybe 25,000 miles, if I’m lucky, the car will get Michelin Primacys.

Not happy about the poorer, regressed quality in the newer car, between the much poorer longevity of the tires, the accelerated wear of the seats, and the shortcomings of AP2 relative to AP1.

Not a bit.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
That's pretty amazing that you are wearing that fast. What is the official measurement on the wear? Do you wait until the safety band is flush? Also, @fasteddie7 are you morbidly obese? If so, I'd like to make a fat joke about how fast your tires wear.

Sorry about the fat joke... I'm not serious pretty much ever.

• Funny
Reactions: Blup85
My Model X ruined 4 Michelin 20's purchased from Tesla after 4K miles, and the service techs said... "that the price for driving a premium EV vehicle"...

So lessons learned:

1) Never buy Michelins, which are known to be softer rubber, and despite the weight rating, do not last on heavy EVs. Continentals and Pirellis tend to do better.

2) Set the suspension lowering at speeds to "Never", since the camber increases as the car lowers, accelerating abnormal wear on the inner tread. Even cross-rotating will result in a "pointy" tire. The range hit is insignificant.

3) Check the alignment every 5K miles, as for some reason MX's seem to move more than other suspensions, even without bad road conditions

4) You don't have to buy from Tesla, but all of their tires come with the foam sound-insulating strip (as far as I have seen), but not convinced they actually offer any quieting benefit

I can't speak to the Model X specifically, but my experience for most of this is exactly the opposite in the Model S.

1. I have two separate sets of Michelin tires for my Model S 85D - Primacy MXM4's 245/45R19, and Pilot Super Sports 255/40R20. The Pilot Super Sports are at ~20K miles and still have 5/32". The Primacy's are over 20K miles and have 6/32". I expect to get about 25K out of the Pilot Super Sports and almost 30K out of the Primacies.

As another data point, I also have a winter/all-weather set of Nokian WRG3 245/45R19's. They're at around 12K miles with 8/32" left. I should get close to 30K out of them.

2. I have always had my air suspension set to auto-lower at 65 MPH. I have perfectly even wear across all 4 tires in all 3 sets (12 tires total).

3. I have the alignment checked annually with my annual service. I've had the car about 2 1/2 years, and have had 2 annual services. In both instances, the alignment had one out-of-spec adjustment (not the same one), so I had them re-align the vehicle back to spec.

Just as a note, I rotate my tires myself every 2500 miles in a rearward-cross pattern. That, plus the fact that I have an AWD car, makes the wear very even.

Reactions: bmah
With a username of "fasteddie", I don't think you can plausibly claim to "rarely speed"

Fasteddie? His wife gave him that name :) sorry,couldn't help myself :)

At 15,000 miles I replaced 2 rear tires. Alignment was checked, not the problem.
The ribbon was fraying around the outside edges of both rear tires.
May have something to do with not slowing for mountain curved roads. :)

But I was unhappy replacing so soon. Tesla SC replaced at a decent rate though

Curious as to how my tires are holding up I stopped by my service center today to have them checked out Here is my report:

2017 Model S100D
21” continental Contisport Contact 5P
Staggered wheels (delivered on a non P Model \i/)
19,370 miles
Fronts all 4/32
Reads all 6/32
All even wear

Was told given the same driving patterns I am good to 24’ish thousand miles.

FastEddie something seriously sounds worth getting checked out!!

• Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7
I just had my first annual service a couple of weeks ago and was told my tires are still fine and no balancing necessary.

2016 S 75 (single motor)
19" Slipstreams w/ standard Goodyear tires
22,000 miles
All four treads are at 4/32" (rotated tires once in late Spring)

I do like to speed once in a while and hardly ever stay under the limit. :cool:

Reactions: fasteddie7
53,000 miles with tread to spare at 3/32” - Michelin Primacy OEMs S85.

versus:

19,000 miles so far, worn to 4/32” - Goodyear Eagle Touring OEMs S90D.

When these wear out at maybe 25,000 miles, if I’m lucky, the car will get Michelin Primacys.

Not happy about the poorer, regressed quality in the newer car, between the much poorer longevity of the tires, the accelerated wear of the seats, and the shortcomings of AP2 relative to AP1.

Not a bit.

I've used Goodyeat touring Eagles on three different cars in my lifetime and it wasn't until I ran across a Goodyear engineer and asked why they wear out so quick?

He told me they are one step removed from racing tires and the compound is much softer for better handling at the expense of long term mileage.

I will be going with Michelin Primacys from now on.

Thanks for the word on the Primacys.