Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WOW! This car just burned down....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some details would be helpful because in the Fire Discussion Thread there's some interesting patterns noted where fires may start in front of the driver's side wheel well, for seemingly no immediate reason. They aren't pack fires.

It's hard to tell where it started in this picture, but it's definitely on the driver's side...

(Incidentally the B-pillars are high-strength boron-steel and use space-grade fasteners).

Not mutually exclusive items.
No, but if you look at the pictures on the site, there's no burn marks around the car. That's highly unusual for a car that burned down. There should be some radius around the vehicle where the ground is scortched.

There is kind of a pile of ash in the front, but nowhere else. I think it's most likely they dumped the heap off of a flatbed front-first, and a bunch of ash simply fell off into a pile.

It's currently at $0 plus fees. Somebody get in on this deal. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: gene
No, but if you look at the pictures on the site, there's no burn marks around the car. That's highly unusual for a car that burned down. There should be some radius around the vehicle where the ground is scortched.

There is kind of a pile of ash in the front, but nowhere else. I think it's most likely they dumped the heap off of a flatbed front-first, and a bunch of ash simply fell off into a pile.

It's currently at $0 plus fees. Somebody get in on this deal. ;)
There might be some good screws on the front drives side door...

Again looks like the fire started on the drivers side

There has to be something going on. For all these fire's to occur from the drivers side. But what's weird is the fact that this car didn't catch fire after that major collision that it was involved in.
65e7ac8f6abb278b_afd1cd3d0882a9.jpg

I believe the pillars are made from some type of reinforced steel so thats is why they don't melt. How come aluminum cars are more expensive if steel in this scenario is clearly more stronger??
I believe Tesla used to have high strength boron steel inserts before around 2015 but the pillars in the S are now all-aluminum. However, the Model X still uses boron steel inserts.

@Jeff N Where are you getting that information? The first responders guide for 2016 still says that they use "ULTRA HIGH STRENGTH STEEL".
I've seen the same claims a number of times on the forum, and have looked for body-in-white or other pictures to confirm the change, or statements by Tesla to that effect, but have never found anything. I'm not sure if it's a forum rumor, or there's some real basis for it.

The first responder pages are usually accurate, though I seem to remember they gloss over mid-year changes a bit. The earlier guides all point out which reinforced pieces are steel vs. extruded aluminum. The 2016 guide just says they're reinforced, and has steel in the title. It's unclear if the reinforced aluminum parts were changed to steel, or if they just did away with noting the difference.