Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently the machine for my appointment arrived at 10am this morning, only one in Australia, during my appointment, head office asked for it back... so at present my car is the only one in Australia to be fixed and all appointments they had lined up for this week we’re moved to October. Apparently a new revision of the machine is being sent out. Here’s a photo of the before and after, like new again! The best part? They didn’t need to take off my matte screen protector, win!

Before:
7032036A-92E9-4ACA-97CF-CAB9A9E70DD0.jpeg

After:
5AADA04D-5133-4AE2-BB1D-966C89954FA4.jpeg

Wow! I really didn't expect something like this to work. Lets see how it holds up!

Anyone know if they have plans to do the IC too? My IC has also started to develop the yellow band. Much harder to notice though because it's recessed it is harder for thee sun to shine on it.

68FB2035-EF84-48E1-9203-7303B4AE92E0.jpeg
I made an appointment for Monday next week and they said they will use the ultraviolet machine they just got to correct the yellowing. Mine isn’t that bad compared to what I’ve seen, but I wanted to have them fix it now before it got any worse. I’ll post photos of the fix when I get my car back. The technician said they can only do one fix a day so I lucked out and didn’t have to reschedule my appointment. Fingers crossed the light works. I have a November 2018 100D.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
View attachment 455553 I made an appointment for Monday next week and they said they will use the ultraviolet machine they just got to correct the yellowing. Mine isn’t that bad compared to what I’ve seen, but I wanted to have them fix it now before it got any worse. I’ll post photos of the fix when I get my car back. The technician said they can only do one fix a day so I lucked out and didn’t have to reschedule my appointment. Fingers crossed the light works. I have a November 2018 100D.

Mine looked about the same as yours and the UV treatment fixed it so hopefully you will have good results.

Reactions: zsherrin
When asked about UV treatment, I just got this one line response from Tesla SC in Sunnyvale CA [which is just 20 miles from Tesla Freemont factory].

"At this time we are waiting for next steps we don’t have any more details at this time."

Anyone from the Bay area got it done? If so, which SC ? Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Apparently the machine for my appointment arrived at 10am this morning, only one in Australia
Talk about disorganised! Just a few weeks ago Melbourne was telling me we have "no time frame" when the UV machine will be in the country and yet there was one on the way to Sydney already :confused:
Having said that, I'd be happy to accept that as a repair looking at yours, that turned out really nice and just in time for a nice hot summer to see if it holds up.

Reactions: rohan_aus
Talk about disorganised! Just a few weeks ago Melbourne was telling me we have "no time frame" when the UV machine will be in the country and yet there was one on the way to Sydney already :confused:
Having said that, I'd be happy to accept that as a repair looking at yours, that turned out really nice and just in time for a nice hot summer to see if it holds up.
There's a severe lack of communication going on around this. Hopefully it won't be long till the new unit arrives in Aus. Apparently the unit arrived in Australia at the start of September and they've been modifying it from LHD to RHD and learning how to use it on spare screens they had from when they were replacing yellow screens with new ones, mine was the first customer car they'd done.

• Informative
Reactions: P100D_Me
Just scheduled an appt on mobile app to have this done in Dallas at the end of the month. Of course, I suspect they will contact me and cancel if they don't have the machine. As a fun fact, my car is a 2013 model. Last Summer (15 months ago) the screen developed a tiny "bubble" in the upper right corner and the mobile tech noted it and came out to replace it a week or so later. Now, the screen yellowing happened (coincidentally right after the car sat outside for a few hours on one of the hottest days of the year). I do believe this is tied to issues with the more recent screens.

Update on my repair attempt. Springfield SC attempted the repair. At first glance when background is white ( daytime mode ) repair looked good. However, in night time or dark mode, there is still very visible discoloration. Repair significantly reduced discoloration but I had previously reached agreement with Tesla legal that a successful repair is defined as complete elimination of all visible discoloration.

They are likely going to replace the screen. I asked them to confirm the have a Rev C part. Waiting to hear confirmation on that.

I am bummed as I had hoped this would be successful. I don't want to have wait for screen to be replaced nor do I want to see Tesla out of pocket on this. But, I believe this materially impacts the value and saleability of the car.

Before and After pics

Before
before.JPG

After

after.JPG

Just scheduled an appt on mobile app to have this done in Dallas at the end of the month. Of course, I suspect they will contact me and cancel if they don't have the machine. As a fun fact, my car is a 2013 model. Last Summer (15 months ago) the screen developed a tiny "bubble" in the upper right corner and the mobile tech noted it and came out to replace it a week or so later. Now, the screen yellowing happened (coincidentally right after the car sat outside for a few hours on one of the hottest days of the year). I do believe this is tied to issues with the more recent screens.
Or they will do what they did with me, cancel the appointment, not call, and only tell me once I arrived at the SC. That’s fun.

Update on my repair attempt. Springfield SC attempted the repair. At first glance when background is white ( daytime mode ) repair looked good. However, in night time or dark mode, there is still very visible discoloration. Repair significantly reduced discoloration but I had previously reached agreement with Tesla legal that a successful repair is defined as complete elimination of all visible discoloration.

They are likely going to replace the screen. I asked them to confirm the have a Rev C part. Waiting to hear confirmation on that.

I am bummed as I had hoped this would be successful. I don't want to have wait for screen to be replaced nor do I want to see Tesla out of pocket on this. But, I believe this materially impacts the value and saleability of the car.

Before and After pics

Before
View attachment 456143

After

View attachment 456144
Also in Springfield, exact same thing here.
Everyone, make sure to inspect the screen very thoroughly afterwards... Mine at first sight looked great, but when the source of light is from my right, I still can see the yellow band in the lower right corner of the screen. Don't even think about going through this process again,- scheduling, loaner, etc...

Last edited:
so why do some cars in the same manufacture time period get this and some dont? All likely use same glue right? Or is it just a matter of time before they all do this?

My guess is that there were issues in manufacturing where the adhesive didn't get fully cured in all the screen units that were assembled. One explanation for this would be that the UV lamps weren't replaced often enough and that toward the end of the life the time the screen was exposed to them wasn't enough to fully cure the adhesive. (If that is how the touch screen is attached to the LCD panel.) This could also explain why some screens go way more yellow, or even brown, than others. (They worst of them would be from right before the UV lamps were replaced.)

Or they experimented with shorter curing times to try to speed up production and looked like everything was OK when it wasn't. (This would probably be easier to track as it would be entire batches that were bad.)

Reactions: dhanson865
Apparently the machine for my appointment arrived at 10am this morning, only one in Australia, during my appointment, head office asked for it back... so at present my car is the only one in Australia to be fixed and all appointments they had lined up for this week we’re moved to October. Apparently a new revision of the machine is being sent out. Here’s a photo of the before and after, like new again! The best part? They didn’t need to take off my matte screen protector, win!

Before:
View attachment 455370

After:
View attachment 455366

What I like about the images is that Sydney is in the middle. I'd like to visit sometime. Glad you got your car fixed.