Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just dropped my Model S off at the Dallas service center this morning for the "UV Repair". They have a one machine and TWO other Teslas are ahead of me in line to get it done today.
A Model X was getting the treatment when I pulled in and I actually got a glimpse of the machine. It looked like a red box about 2 or 3" thick and the same size as the 17" screen, attached to the face of the screen. The rep indicated they had done a lot of them and were even doing this pro-actively on cars that were in for other issues, where THEY (the Tesla reps) noticed the issue even if the owner had not yet reported it.

The rep indicated it takes about 2 1/2 to 3 hours and indicated that my car SHOULD be ready today (albeit late I assume).

No loaner for me today - Uber credit instead (note: I've had a mix of Tesla loaners, Chevy rentals and now Uber over the years). They did send me an automated text early today before the appointment to indicate they were unlikely to have a loaner and would provide the Uber credit (up to $100/day...does not cover tips). For me, the Uber credit is basically fine and worked seamlessly to get me home from the service center.

For all the grief Tesla service gets, I have generally been WAAAY happier with them over the last three years than any other dealer repair shop I have experienced in my life.

Will report back on the results of course!

Please let us know how the UV treatment works. Unfortunately the UV treatment device at our SC is "broken."

Any grief they are getting is because of poor communication and BS they have been trying to cram down the throats of owners pretending like this manufacturing defect is some "cosmetic" issue that should not be expected to be covered under warranty. No one wants to drive around in a car with a defective display that is increasingly turning to a darker shade of brown.

No one buys the BS that this is some "cosmetic" issue that customers should live with and the arbitration filings are a result of customers rejecting the "cosmetic" excuse nonsense. Customers should never have been placed in a position to have to file arbitration proceedings for warranty service.

If they had just put out a statement stating that they have found a manufacturing defect with a small number of screens and they are working on a UV treatment solution to address the issue with a reasonable timeline for a solution, NONE of this grief would be happening.

We have been waiting for nearly 8 months for a solution to our defective display. You talk about Tesla getting "grief," how about the all the grief thrown at customers, many of whom paid nearly $100K for their cars, and have to wait months and months to fix a manufacturing defect with no end in sight?

I've never had a car dealer drag their feet fixing a manufacturing defect under warranty. Once I had wood trim piece in a Mercedes discolor and the dealer replaced not just the defective trim piece but all the trim so they match without question with no "cosmetic" BS.

Reactions: VT_EE and aesculus
Please let us know how the UV treatment works. Unfortunately the UV treatment device at our SC is "broken."

Any grief they are getting is because of poor communication and BS they have been trying to cram down the throats of owners pretending like this manufacturing defect is some "cosmetic" issue that should not be expected to be covered under warranty. No one wants to drive around in a car with a defective display that is increasingly turning to a darker shade of brown.

No one buys the BS that this is some "cosmetic" issue that customers should live with and the arbitration filings are a result of customers rejecting the "cosmetic" excuse nonsense. Customers should never have been placed in a position to have to file arbitration proceedings for warranty service.

If they had just put out a statement stating that they have found a manufacturing defect with a small number of screens and they are working on a UV treatment solution to address the issue with a reasonable timeline for a solution, NONE of this grief would be happening.

We have been waiting for nearly 8 months for a solution to our defective display. You talk about Tesla getting "grief," how about the all the grief thrown at customers, many of whom paid nearly $100K for their cars, and have to wait months and months to fix a manufacturing defect with no end in sight?

I've never had a car dealer drag their feet fixing a manufacturing defect under warranty. Once I had wood trim piece in a Mercedes discolor and the dealer replaced not just the defective trim piece but all the trim so they match without question with no "cosmetic" BS.
Agree that some simple statements on what they were doing to resolve the issue would have made 90% of the affected happy. I don’t see them dragging feet though. They had no solution until recently. What’s the point of replacing the screen with a screen that would have the same problem?

UPDATE:

So while waiting for my case date of 10/15/19 to arrive, I get a text from the rep at the SC that they have the UV tool and want me to come in and get the screen done.

Now at this point, I’m thinking about all the members that have said that getting a screen replacement only temporarily fixed the issue because the yellow ring came back so I’m like let me just let them try and fix it, and see what happens. Mind you I gave up long ago on the idea that I could possibly request a new MCU 2 as an upgrade (for an additional cost) in place of my first gen MCU.

So they take my Model X (build 03/2017), and they have it for a few days. I get a call that it is ready for pickup, and I pick it up. The service invoice says that they performed the UV tool service on it, and that the problem was MITIGATED, not gone but MITIGATED. So I’m driving the car home and I’m looking at the screen, and I can slightly see the yellow ring. It’s no where near as bad as it was, but it’s not totally gone.

A day later, I get an email from Tesla, asking me to cancel my case against them. I emailed them back saying that I would, but I got busy and haven’t done it just yet. So I currently still have a case date of 10/15/19. In the meantime, it seems like the yellow ring is becoming a bit more prominent than when I picked up the car a few days back. So now I have a bit of a dilemma. Do I cancel the case, and see what happens, or do I proceed and get a new screen that possibly will get the yellow ring eventually?

Oh and by the way, my loaner car was a Model X P90d (Build 12/2016) and the screen on it was white as snow. No yellow ring. The car had 24k miles on it. Maybe it was kept out of the sun, in a cool environment or maybe just not part of the bad batch of screens that came out about that time.

here is my before the treatment
13A753F4-89D8-42CC-9CEF-F75B2BD6F89E.jpeg

And here is my after UV treatment. I’m in the exact same spot as the first picture with the same direct sunlight. I would say I’m very happy with the results and hope this solves the problem and it doesn’t come back.
747E9670-B369-4D1F-BC46-3772BF6471E6.jpeg

That looks perfect, and yours was way worse than mine was. Maybe I’ll just try and have them do it again a bit down the road. Or maybe there will finally be an upgrade path available to MCU2 and we can all put these yellow screen inferior crap MCU’s behind us.

A day later, I get an email from Tesla, asking me to cancel my case against them. I emailed them back saying that I would, but I got busy and haven’t done it just yet. So I currently still have a case date of 10/15/19. In the meantime, it seems like the yellow ring is becoming a bit more prominent than when I picked up the car a few days back. So now I have a bit of a dilemma. Do I cancel the case, and see what happens, or do I proceed and get a new screen that possibly will get the yellow ring eventually?
I would let them know your concerns and let them know you need some "bake time" to insure it's not returning.

Oh and by the way, my loaner car was a Model X P90d (Build 12/2016) and the screen on it was white as snow. No yellow ring. The car had 24k miles on it. Maybe it was kept out of the sun, in a cool environment or maybe just not part of the bad batch of screens that came out about that time.
Early cars did not have the yellowing issue but could have bubbles and leaking goo. Not 100% sure where the cut over was but this is certainly close.

That looks perfect, and yours was way worse than mine was. Maybe I’ll just try and have them do it again a bit down the road. Or maybe there will finally be an upgrade path available to MCU2 and we can all put these yellow screen inferior crap MCU’s behind us.

I wonder if when, or if, they produce an upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 if they will replace just the guts, transferring the screen to make it more inexpensive. (A MCU1 replacement is ~2,500, while replacing a MCU1 screen is ~$1,200. So the MCU2 upgrade could be $1k cheaper if they moved your existing screen.)

I would let them know your concerns and let them know you need some "bake time" to insure it's not returning.

Early cars did not have the yellowing issue but could have bubbles and leaking goo. Not 100% sure where the cut over was but this is certainly close.

Yes I think I’ll give it a couple more weeks and then decide. And I’d have to imagine the screen currently in stock may not be quite as defective as the originals, because if they are, they should RMA them to the manufacturer and start putting in MCU2’s I’d pay for the upgrade for sure.

BTW, a previous Model S loaner I was given had the goo screen. It got all over everyone in the car that reached into that center cubby under the screen before we all realized where it was coming from. It’s like maple syrup stickiness times 10.

Got my car back from the Tesla service center in Dallas yesterday afternoon (after the UV treatment) and the issue appears to be resolved. My wife an I were staring at it intently after we got home trying to detect any evidence of the yellow still being there and if it is, it is ridiculously hard to see. Anyway, that's one more data point. We'll see if it holds!

UPDATE:

So while waiting for my case date of 10/15/19 to arrive, I get a text from the rep at the SC that they have the UV tool and want me to come in and get the screen done.

Now at this point, I’m thinking about all the members that have said that getting a screen replacement only temporarily fixed the issue because the yellow ring came back so I’m like let me just let them try and fix it, and see what happens. Mind you I gave up long ago on the idea that I could possibly request a new MCU 2 as an upgrade (for an additional cost) in place of my first gen MCU.

So they take my Model X (build 03/2017), and they have it for a few days. I get a call that it is ready for pickup, and I pick it up. The service invoice says that they performed the UV tool service on it, and that the problem was MITIGATED, not gone but MITIGATED. So I’m driving the car home and I’m looking at the screen, and I can slightly see the yellow ring. It’s no where near as bad as it was, but it’s not totally gone.

Given Tesla's egregious behavior here, over the battery capping issue (#batterygate), and throttling of supercharger rates (#chargegate) which have resulted in class action lawsuits, I would say don't do Tesla any favors. None. Tesla is perfectly happy to screw you if it suits their purposes along with happily taking any good will you have extended them.

Reactions: P100D_Me and meomyo
Given Tesla's egregious behavior here, over the battery capping issue (#batterygate), and throttling of supercharger rates (#chargegate) which have resulted in class action lawsuits, I would say don't do Tesla any favors. None. Tesla is perfectly happy to screw you if it suits their purposes along with happily taking any good will you have extended them.
agree 110%. tesla is a shady company.Elon is a shady guy.

UPDATE:

Some people up thread reported having to have the UV fix done twice before they left the service center. You should ask them to run it again and if they refuse or you aren't happy (with the results or reply) keep your arbitration case open and use it to move things along.

Some people up thread reported having to have the UV fix done twice before they left the service center. You should ask them to run it again and if they refuse or you aren't happy (with the results or reply) keep your arbitration case open and use it to move things along.

I like that plan. I’ll give an update after I get the UV done again. Service center is gonna hate me. Oh well...

Quick question...that may have been answered in the past 63 pages. Hope not.

I'm going in for UV treatment next week. I have an Abstract Ocean cling-style screen protector on my screen. I'm wondering if the UV treatment would be less effective with it in place. It is the HD clear variety.