Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yes!!! Enhanced summon is on its way.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Virtually everything you just wrote is factually untrue. Your post is bad and you should feel bad for posting it.

HW3s specs have been pretty widely discussed, including by its own designers, for months now.

the fact it can handle 10x the camera input is a known stated fact (the current HW can't process all 8 cameras at full frame rate- the new HW easily can for example)

The fact it offers about 1000% increase in overall processing capacity is a known stated fact.

Maybe go learn a little about a topic before trying to discuss it?

Here for example is Teslas Director of Artificial Intelligence Andrej Karpathy
Well if this hardware is so good, where is it? Those of us who paid for FSD at delivery still have the same features and hardware as everyone else that didn't pay for it, nothing, nada. Just because it's 1000% better doesn't make the inane suggestions NOA makes right now any better, it'll just give you incorrect suggestions faster.

Well if this hardware is so good, where is it?

In final testing, rumored to be among a fleet of employee-owned Teslas. The expectation is it will be shipping as standard HW in cars sometime in Q2, and existing 2.x cars who have paid for FSD will get their computer swapped out for the HW3 one (repeatedly confirmed both on official Tesla quarterly update calls and in writing from Elon multiple times). Unclear currently if you'll need to hit a service center for the swap or if Rangers will do it- though Elon did say it only takes about 30 minutes since they intentionally designed it to be a quick/easy plug and play swap.

Well if this hardware is so good, where is it? Those of us who paid for FSD at delivery still have the same features and hardware as everyone else that didn't pay for it, nothing, nada. Just because it's 1000% better doesn't make the inane suggestions NOA makes right now any better, it'll just give you incorrect suggestions faster.
That isn't necessarily true. AP requires a lot of processing power and the current system doesn't use the full resolution video from the cameras, the new hardware will be able to. Anything i possible, but I'd be shocked if the new hardware doesn't improve current performance. When AP stutters I take that to mean it's having trouble processing the inputs and is unsure of what to do.

yeah, this isn't how the extra computing power is put to work. More data to analyze, and at higher resolution / framerates = better suggestions, not just faster ones.

I'm going to try engaging NoA twice daily. It has never once correctly made the two freeway to freeway ramps changes on my commute. One is likely because I'm in the carpool lane. The other is a tricky merge, and it never is comfortable enough to get over. It would probably work if I slowed down to about 45mph though, but that will just cause people to dodge around you creating even more confusion.

So right now NOA is basically worthless as it fails to every freeway to freeway transition. It will exit the freeway for me on the way home, but I have to disable it (it wants a different exit) then re-enable it, in order to do so.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I realized this the other day when the auto high beams turned off because of incoming cars, how many overlapping system or NNs are running every second doing different things? We have the headlights looking when they can turn on/off, windshield wipers struggling to know if it's raining, autopilot even when not running is in shadow mode, safety features like automatic emergency braking (or is that autopilot?)...anything else?

It seems to me it's overloaded and HW3 will do wonders for all of that but I'll admit I'm an optimist too.

It will be capable of processing 2000 frames per second vs ~200 frames right now.
That will potentially improve how the car reacts to what the cameras see around it, but it will not address most of the points that @SomeJoe7777 brought up (that mostly have to do with contextual knowledge based on past experience, such as knowing the exact locations where congestion typically occurs and what lane to take to avoid it). These things need to be solved in the routing engine and the HD maps that NoA uses. For example, Tesla could learn from uploaded route segments which lane human drivers going in a certain direction typically use at an interchange, and add the result as semantic information to their HD maps. There is a lot more to "full self driving" that just improved computer vision.

Reactions: SomeJoe7777
I realized this the other day when the auto high beams turned off because of incoming cars, how many overlapping system or NNs are running every second doing different things? We have the headlights looking when they can turn on/off, windshield wipers struggling to know if it's raining, autopilot even when not running is in shadow mode, safety features like automatic emergency braking (or is that autopilot?)...anything else?

It seems to me it's overloaded and HW3 will do wonders for all of that but I'll admit I'm an optimist too.

That all seems overwhelming only because you're a human. :) There is a sh*tton of other stuff going on, not just in Teslas but in most modern cars.

What HW3 will do, at least per my limited understanding, is enable the car to essentially learn and improved based on its own experience and the experience of other Teslas. Autopilot will improve seemingly on its own and will adapt to very specific road circumstances, etc.

I have an exit that I take where the existing free way lane is an optional exit lane while another lane starts that is the mandatory exit lane but it's to go eastbound at the interchange and the optional exit lane is to go westbound (where I want to go). NoA wants to change lanes over to the mandatory exit lane but then change back over to the optional exit lane which makes absolutely zero sense so I stopped using NoA there... I've pretty much stopped using NoA everywhere for that matter in the Bay Area as is pointed out above, it wants to change over wayyyy too early with no regard for traffic patterns. It doesn't understand most of the HOV exits I use, it can't handle clover leaf interchanges, the list of things it can't do is astounding...

Jeff

That's why releasing NOA with confirmation to as many Tesla cars as possible and collecting millions miles worth of data is so crucial. There are literally millions of driving scenarios like what you mention that NOA needs to be able to do safely before it can become a general solution for full self-driving. But with millions and eventually billions of miles of driving data, Tesla will have enough data and will be able to improve NOA to handle more and more situations over time. Heck. we've already seen this with EAP. As Tesla collected data for AP, EAP has gotten much better. There are all kinds of driving situations that EAP used to struggle with, that it can now do really well.

That will potentially improve how the car reacts to what the cameras see around it, but it will not address most of the points that @SomeJoe7777 brought up (that mostly have to do with contextual knowledge based on past experience, such as knowing the exact locations where congestion typically occurs and what lane to take to avoid it). These things need to be solved in the routing engine and the HD maps that NoA uses. For example, Tesla could learn from uploaded route segments which lane human drivers going in a certain direction typically use at an interchange, and add the result as semantic information to their HD maps. There is a lot more to "full self driving" that just improved computer vision.

With my numerous issues with NOA. Seem very location related to speed and lane placement.

In regards to HD mapping. Just saw this. Would think this is HD mapping for supercruise. Can the mapping come from our cars and cameras over time? That Leica unit up top looks pretty legit.
20190319_141127.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE
What HW3 will do, at least per my limited understanding, is enable the car to essentially learn and improved based on its own experience and the experience of other Teslas. Autopilot will improve seemingly on its own and will adapt to very specific road circumstances, etc.
It's highly unlikely that the neural networks will be trained in the car, i.e. the car will not learn on its own. Rather, the new neural network ASIC in HW3 will accelerate what is called inference, which is basically applying an already trained neural network to new input data. The training happens in Tesla's data centers (or some public cloud).

Last I heard HW3 is for FSD and EAP features don't need it. NoA and Advanced Summon are EAP features. It's my understanding that EAP users won't get HW3. So how is HW3 supposed to help NoA if it isn't even present in an EAP-only car? Will EAP get HW3 too now?

With my numerous issues with NOA. Seem very location related to speed and lane placement.

In regards to HD mapping. Just saw this. Would think this is HD mapping for supercruise. Can the mapping come from our cars and cameras over time? That Leica unit up top looks pretty legit.
View attachment 388176
Are you sure that's not an anti-aircraft gun?

Last I heard HW3 is for FSD and EAP features don't need it. NoA and Advanced Summon are EAP features. It's my understanding that EAP users won't get HW3. So how is HW3 supposed to help NoA if it isn't even present in an EAP-only car? Will EAP get HW3 too now?
EAP will probably not get HW3. But if the new hardware takes over for the old hardware in running NOA then it stands to reason there will be some sort of improvement.

Now you see the cleverness of moving NoA and summon into FSD!

Seriously though- I think most folks expect all those features to get a ton better using the HW3 processing and much larger neural nets, and if there's still folks who own EAP but didn't buy FSD they won't see those improvements as their HW isn't capable of running those things.

Like AP1 there maybe kind a period where HW2.x EAP owners get some amount of maintenance updates, but I wouldn't expect anything significant after what's coming out nowish (advanced summon, last 2.x version of NoA)

• Funny
Reactions: more863-also